Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  10:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Project for today
I have decided to go with the Ceramcoat Wedgwood Green stain (Paint mixed with washer fluid)on top of the black shoe dye and alcohol mix as my final color for the Clam & Oyster Company. I will also dry brush very lightly with antique white after I have let the walls dry. I tried using the sandpaper as Brett suggested to get more of a board on board look and like the results.
First things first as I now must add nail holes, a few splits and cracks, some warped boards and a couple of loose board ends. I also want the weathered but not run down look. Structures near the water are extremely weathered.
I would also like to get started on the window assembly.
Mike since you have the camera would it be possible to post a picture of a wall once you have completed the painting.
Thanks

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I echo John's request. Actually, I would like to see more photos that demonstate techniques in this forum. It really helps seeing the results. Most of the time, all that is posted are photos of the finished model, which is inspiring. But the process to get there is equally important. Seeing the photo Mike posted earlier showing the results of his staining experiment really helps! Thanks!

Chuck

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chuck
I wish I could post pictures but the money I had earmarked for a digital camera went toward the purchase of Foss' Landing.
I will have to wait for my income tax refund that president George W. promised me to get my camera.
I thank Mike for his efforts and of course would love to see many pictures of his construction techniques as he is the "master of fine scale modeling".

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chuck
I wish I could post pictures but the money I had earmarked for a digital camera went toward the purchase of Foss' Landing.
I will have to wait for my income tax refund that president George W. promised me to get my camera.
I thank Mike for his efforts and of course would love to see many pictures of his construction techniques as he is the "master of fine scale modeling".

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi guys,

Well since the blower motor on my furnace decided it was time to retire yesterday, I didn't do any work on Foss' landing last evening. Hope to work on it tonight. I also do not presently have a digital camera but will be purchasing one very soon.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the comments, guys. We're all in this lash-up together, though.

Assuming I get the walls finished tonight, I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

[Right outside my darkroom is a perfect place for a small photography "studio." For years, I have thought about turning that area into one. I may go ahead and do it in the near future. It would simplify taking "progress" photos of models/kits.]

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the comments, guys. We're all in this lash-up together, though.

Assuming I get the walls finished tonight, I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

[Right outside my darkroom is a perfect place for a small photography "studio." For years, I have thought about turning that area into one. I may go ahead and do it in the near future. It would simplify taking "progress" photos of models/kits.]

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  12:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone,

I'm still hung up on nail holes. Spent most of yesterday puting holes in the siding. Mike, how did the pin drill work. I'm using a probe like was used in biology 101 sharpened and filed down to a fine point. Still it's time consuming.

Still sticking with Brett's paint schemes.

Decals: Anyone need extra decals related to petroleum/lubricants. Won't be able to use them.

John, email me a place to send the extra castings I didn't use. Just eight tires and a couple of acetylene bottles and the coke sign and box.

Back to my "holes"

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  12:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone,

I'm still hung up on nail holes. Spent most of yesterday puting holes in the siding. Mike, how did the pin drill work. I'm using a probe like was used in biology 101 sharpened and filed down to a fine point. Still it's time consuming.

Still sticking with Brett's paint schemes.

Decals: Anyone need extra decals related to petroleum/lubricants. Won't be able to use them.

John, email me a place to send the extra castings I didn't use. Just eight tires and a couple of acetylene bottles and the coke sign and box.

Back to my "holes"

Jim

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Hi John,

No problem. I look forward to seeing pictures when you get your camera! I'm on the market for a digital camera, myself.

Chuck

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  12:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chuck
Here is a link to the construction of "Nenana Depot" which is a kit by American Model Builders. It is a laser cut kit. While a lot of this it good only for the building of this kit there are tips here for working with self sticking shingles and the laser cut self sticking windows that could be useful to anyone.There are also some tips on diorama making. There are many photo's of actual construction which might help anyone with building a kit.
This was done by Pat Durand who is a model builder in Alaska.
I have also built this kit and having these tips helped me.

http://www.alaskarails.org/modeling/nenana-depot/phase-1.html

There are 5 pages to this so make sure you click on the "go to next phase" to get all the pages.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  12:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chuck
Here is a link to the construction of "Nenana Depot" which is a kit by American Model Builders. It is a laser cut kit. While a lot of this it good only for the building of this kit there are tips here for working with self sticking shingles and the laser cut self sticking windows that could be useful to anyone.There are also some tips on diorama making. There are many photo's of actual construction which might help anyone with building a kit.
This was done by Pat Durand who is a model builder in Alaska.
I have also built this kit and having these tips helped me.

http://www.alaskarails.org/modeling/nenana-depot/phase-1.html

There are 5 pages to this so make sure you click on the "go to next phase" to get all the pages.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  1:09:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Hey Everyone,

Jim

Jim, I kind of got ahead of myself with the paint experiments last night. And that was a good thing as it turned out. I discovered that the stains were closing up the "nail holes" I made with the pounce wheel just enough that they actually looked good. So I went ahead and used the pounce wheel on the actual siding pieces instead of using my cutoff T-pin and pin vise.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  1:09:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Hey Everyone,

Jim

Jim, I kind of got ahead of myself with the paint experiments last night. And that was a good thing as it turned out. I discovered that the stains were closing up the "nail holes" I made with the pounce wheel just enough that they actually looked good. So I went ahead and used the pounce wheel on the actual siding pieces instead of using my cutoff T-pin and pin vise.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile
OK, guys, this is the best I can do for the time being. I forgot that tomorrow is Thursday and I'm leaving town for the weekend. So I won't be taking any "progress" photos tomorrow afterall.

Anyhoo.... this is a quickie I snapped late this afternoon of one of the clapboard scraps I experimented with last night. The colors in the photo aren't totally accurate, but they're close. I circled the area that I finally settled on for a paint "scheme." (It's the one I described earlier today.)

In case anyone is wondering, I propped the pieces up on my airbrush easel to photograph them. That's why there are holes behind the scraps.

Edited by - MikeC on 01/29/2003 6:36:04 PM

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000