Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well 2 problems on posting pictures.
First the hot water heater decided that it was old and wanted to be replaced. So my tax refund went to getting hot water for a shower.
I debated for a while with taking cold showers and getting the camera but I decided that I would really like to be able to take a hot shower.
So I have bought more film for my point and shoot camera and if we ever see the sun again I will post some pictures.
Until them I am back a square one with posting pictures.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well 2 problems on posting pictures.
First the hot water heater decided that it was old and wanted to be replaced. So my tax refund went to getting hot water for a shower.
I debated for a while with taking cold showers and getting the camera but I decided that I would really like to be able to take a hot shower.
So I have bought more film for my point and shoot camera and if we ever see the sun again I will post some pictures.
Until them I am back a square one with posting pictures.

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile
I will probably be putting up some photo's after the weekend. This being Easter weekend, things will be busy around here.

Besides where are your photos?

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile
I will probably be putting up some photo's after the weekend. This being Easter weekend, things will be busy around here.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Here is one picture that I did not post because it does not show up that well.
It is a shot of the stairway to the Clam & Oyster House.
I know I should have opted for cold showers.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Here is one picture that I did not post because it does not show up that well.
It is a shot of the stairway to the Clam & Oyster House.
I know I should have opted for cold showers.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Mine will be coming. I've got to figure out where/how to take them since going to the basement is not an option for me for a couple more days.

I cut the ridge cap into 1/4" sections with my Chopper and glued it all on this morning. Then I dusted all of the shingles with chalk and added the finial (which I painted "Indian Red" just to be different ) I'm really glad I decided to strip off the shingles and redo the valleys. It looks so much better now. After lunch, I'll do the tarpaper on the small roof. Then I'll see about trying to take a photo or two.

John, be careful about taking too many cold showers. hehe

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Mine will be coming. I've got to figure out where/how to take them since going to the basement is not an option for me for a couple more days.

I cut the ridge cap into 1/4" sections with my Chopper and glued it all on this morning. Then I dusted all of the shingles with chalk and added the finial (which I painted "Indian Red" just to be different ) I'm really glad I decided to strip off the shingles and redo the valleys. It looks so much better now. After lunch, I'll do the tarpaper on the small roof. Then I'll see about trying to take a photo or two.

John, be careful about taking too many cold showers. hehe

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  10:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey, guys,

I finished the Launch Co. structure yesterday afternoon and started on the dock. More about that in a minute. I'm really pleased with the way the Launch Co. turned out. The photo below is a "quickie grab shot" of it on my work tray. I had to use my little fluorescent work light for illumination, so it's hard to see how the roofing actually turned out. I drybrushed the tarpaper with Apple Barrel English Ivy, and that looks pretty nice also. Oh, yeah, I painted the finial "Indian Red" just for some contrast.

As for the dock, there's another measurement problem. Fortunately, this one is not as serious as the Launch Co. roof one. The manual calls for 3/32 X 3/32 X 7-1/8 bracing and says there will be a slight overhang to sand off even with the edge of the dock. The pieces are actually 7-1/4" long - too much to simply sand off. So to get everything properly aligned, I borrowed a trick from the Machine Shop assembly: I used "stripwood guides" to make sure the bracing lined up evenly along the two edges so that it could be properly trimmed at the end. I used double-stick tape to hold the "guides" in place, then butted the dock up against that. Next, I butted the brace against the guides and glued it in place on the dock. That ensures everything is lined up properly and makes trimming the excess a lot easier. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

That's it for the time being. We're headed back to the Lake for the weekend - as always - so I won't get anymore done on Foss' until Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by - MikeC on 04/18/2003 11:00:53 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  10:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey, guys,

I finished the Launch Co. structure yesterday afternoon and started on the dock. More about that in a minute. I'm really pleased with the way the Launch Co. turned out. The photo below is a "quickie grab shot" of it on my work tray. I had to use my little fluorescent work light for illumination, so it's hard to see how the roofing actually turned out. I drybrushed the tarpaper with Apple Barrel English Ivy, and that looks pretty nice also. Oh, yeah, I painted the finial "Indian Red" just for some contrast.

As for the dock, there's another measurement problem. Fortunately, this one is not as serious as the Launch Co. roof one. The manual calls for 3/32 X 3/32 X 7-1/8 bracing and says there will be a slight overhang to sand off even with the edge of the dock. The pieces are actually 7-1/4" long - too much to simply sand off. So to get everything properly aligned, I borrowed a trick from the Machine Shop assembly: I used "stripwood guides" to make sure the bracing lined up evenly along the two edges so that it could be properly trimmed at the end. I used double-stick tape to hold the "guides" in place, then butted the dock up against that. Next, I butted the brace against the guides and glued it in place on the dock. That ensures everything is lined up properly and makes trimming the excess a lot easier. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

That's it for the time being. We're headed back to the Lake for the weekend - as always - so I won't get anymore done on Foss' until Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by - MikeC on 04/18/2003 11:00:53 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  11:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
The roof (as well as the rest of the structure)looks great. I think that having the valleys hidden and shingling the ridge cap make the roof look 100 % better than the one pictured in the instructions.
The roof of this structure makes it very unique and is definitely the focal point of the structure.
Thanks also for the tip on the dock.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  11:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
The roof (as well as the rest of the structure)looks great. I think that having the valleys hidden and shingling the ridge cap make the roof look 100 % better than the one pictured in the instructions.
The roof of this structure makes it very unique and is definitely the focal point of the structure.
Thanks also for the tip on the dock.

John Bagley

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
That looks great, Mike. I really like what you did with the roof!

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
That looks great, Mike. I really like what you did with the roof!

Chuck

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  10:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Nice looking Mike.

I'm not sure how you got the roof done so fast, I have worked on mine for two nights and am only 1/2 complete. I figure I'll have my roof done but Tuesday at this rate. But no rush.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000