Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  9:19:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

All,
What are the rest of you using for flashing? I may go with wood shingles so I am looking for something to use for flashing.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, I'm using the wide border strips from the shingle sheet. I repainted the strips with pewter gray to resemble metal flashing.

On other projects/kits I have used masking tape, cut to size and painted, for flashing with BIS wood shingles. I lightly dusted the flashing with rust colored chalks and it looked pretty realistic.

Like Bags, I'm in the process of (re-)shingling. I'm just waiting for some glue to dry, so I thought I'd check in here for a minute.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  9:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Well tonight is shingling night. I started to shingle my Launch Co also. I used paper for my flashing. was looking to have it copper color, but couldn't get the look I wanted so I went with gray with rust weathering simular to Mike's.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  9:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Well tonight is shingling night. I started to shingle my Launch Co also. I used paper for my flashing. was looking to have it copper color, but couldn't get the look I wanted so I went with gray with rust weathering simular to Mike's.

Harry

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Paul,

The medium texture I am using is to give an oil "texture" to acrylic paintings. The brand I am using is "Susan Scheewe" White Texture Medium. It can be applied with a brush or palette knife and shaped about anyway you want. It is just a little more viscosous than peanut butter. I found my at Michaels.

I've used it before to simulate a "stucco" appearance. You can mix acrylic paints with it or apply it and then paint it. It is easily sandable.

Hope this helps,

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Paul,

The medium texture I am using is to give an oil "texture" to acrylic paintings. The brand I am using is "Susan Scheewe" White Texture Medium. It can be applied with a brush or palette knife and shaped about anyway you want. It is just a little more viscosous than peanut butter. I found my at Michaels.

I've used it before to simulate a "stucco" appearance. You can mix acrylic paints with it or apply it and then paint it. It is easily sandable.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Consider use of ordinary household aluminum foil to simulate "flashing". Some brands have a dull side instead of two shiny ones.

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Consider use of ordinary household aluminum foil to simulate "flashing". Some brands have a dull side instead of two shiny ones.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile
I love model building, but I was starting to get sick of it yesterday. It's tough being a cripple and sitting in the same place all day. But I get off the crutches tomorrow and the wraps and bandages come off also.

Anyway, I got the modifications done to the car frame Rusty and I have collaborated on. (I'm not sure I improved it any. I probably should have started over from scratch rather than trying to modify the existing one.) And I finished all of the reshingling of the Launch Co. roof. All I have left to do is replace the ridge cap this morning and then rust up the valley flashing and dust the shingles with some raw umber chalk. Then I'll be right back where I left off last week, ready to tarpaper the little roof.

I looked ahead in the manual to see what's coming up. We're getting close to the point where we assemble the wharf/dock and pilings on the diorama base. I'm looking forward to those steps!!!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile
I love model building, but I was starting to get sick of it yesterday. It's tough being a cripple and sitting in the same place all day. But I get off the crutches tomorrow and the wraps and bandages come off also.

Anyway, I got the modifications done to the car frame Rusty and I have collaborated on. (I'm not sure I improved it any. I probably should have started over from scratch rather than trying to modify the existing one.) And I finished all of the reshingling of the Launch Co. roof. All I have left to do is replace the ridge cap this morning and then rust up the valley flashing and dust the shingles with some raw umber chalk. Then I'll be right back where I left off last week, ready to tarpaper the little roof.

I looked ahead in the manual to see what's coming up. We're getting close to the point where we assemble the wharf/dock and pilings on the diorama base. I'm looking forward to those steps!!!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Good morning

Well I only completed about half the roof on the Launch Company last night.
I did however complete the diorama base so I am also looking forward to assembling things on the diorama base.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Good morning

Well I only completed about half the roof on the Launch Company last night.
I did however complete the diorama base so I am also looking forward to assembling things on the diorama base.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Well I only got about 1/4 of the roof shingled, I first had to wait for the paint on the shingles to dry. I do like the look of my valley flashing.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Well I only got about 1/4 of the roof shingled, I first had to wait for the paint on the shingles to dry. I do like the look of my valley flashing.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:07:08 AM  Show Profile
So, does this mean we're ready to see some progress photos?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:07:08 AM  Show Profile
So, does this mean we're ready to see some progress photos?

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000