Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 192 ]  [ Total: 197 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  07:32:36 AM  Show Profile
Well last evening I finished installing the windows and doors. I also finished the dry transfers and started gluing up the walls. I had to make one alteration, when I braced my walls I did so horizontally above the doors. Well that lead to a minor problem when I went to glue up the walls the braces were in the way and I had to trim all of them back at a 45. I also, after reading all the comments about the flashing, decided to do my roof flashing the correct way and glued up the cardboard roof last evening. I'm going to build the roof in place carefully.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  07:32:36 AM  Show Profile
Well last evening I finished installing the windows and doors. I also finished the dry transfers and started gluing up the walls. I had to make one alteration, when I braced my walls I did so horizontally above the doors. Well that lead to a minor problem when I went to glue up the walls the braces were in the way and I had to trim all of them back at a 45. I also, after reading all the comments about the flashing, decided to do my roof flashing the correct way and glued up the cardboard roof last evening. I'm going to build the roof in place carefully.

Harry

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Finally finished the subroof and am now shingling with wooden shingles. I went with Brett's suggested color of Depot Olive with an ink/alcohol stain. I made the valley flashings from an acrylic texture medium, let dry, and then sanded smooth. I've finished about a quarter of the roof shingles so far. Should finish about the weekend.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 04/16/2003 10:26:43 AM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Finally finished the subroof and am now shingling with wooden shingles. I went with Brett's suggested color of Depot Olive with an ink/alcohol stain. I made the valley flashings from an acrylic texture medium, let dry, and then sanded smooth. I've finished about a quarter of the roof shingles so far. Should finish about the weekend.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 04/16/2003 10:26:43 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
I am at about the same place Harry is.
I have glued the roof together and have in place the valleys so all I have to do now is cut many, many, many strips of shingles and carefully glue them in place.
Should look fine once everything is completed.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
I am at about the same place Harry is.
I have glued the roof together and have in place the valleys so all I have to do now is cut many, many, many strips of shingles and carefully glue them in place.
Should look fine once everything is completed.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi again
Earlier Mike wrote
" Also, I wouldn't glue the ridgecap as one long unbroken piece. I would cut the ridgecap into several small strips and glue them in overlapping fashion, similar to the way real roofers do it with wood shingles."

I went back to the Clam & Oyster Company and peeled off the single strip that was applied to each roof and used the technique described above.
It looks much more realistic and thanks Mike for the idea.
I will also use this on the "Launch Company" roof.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi again
Earlier Mike wrote
" Also, I wouldn't glue the ridgecap as one long unbroken piece. I would cut the ridgecap into several small strips and glue them in overlapping fashion, similar to the way real roofers do it with wood shingles."

I went back to the Clam & Oyster Company and peeled off the single strip that was applied to each roof and used the technique described above.
It looks much more realistic and thanks Mike for the idea.
I will also use this on the "Launch Company" roof.

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:50:21 AM  Show Profile
I thought about that when I was installing the peak but to be honest wanted to see it all finished and was too lazy to do it the right way. I will probably go back and do it correct. On this structure I will do it the correct way the first time. I went with roof brown as my base color for my roof this time instead of green. Again I have to be different.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:50:21 AM  Show Profile
I thought about that when I was installing the peak but to be honest wanted to see it all finished and was too lazy to do it the right way. I will probably go back and do it correct. On this structure I will do it the correct way the first time. I went with roof brown as my base color for my roof this time instead of green. Again I have to be different.

Harry

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  7:33:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

I made the valley flashings from an acrylic texture medium, let dry, and then sanded smooth.

Jim,
What is the "acrylic texture medium" that you are talking about. Could you tell me more about it?

All,
What are the rest of you using for flashing? I may go with wood shingles so I am looking for something to use for flashing.

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/16/2003 7:35:59 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  7:33:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

I made the valley flashings from an acrylic texture medium, let dry, and then sanded smooth.

Jim,
What is the "acrylic texture medium" that you are talking about. Could you tell me more about it?

All,
What are the rest of you using for flashing? I may go with wood shingles so I am looking for something to use for flashing.

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/16/2003 7:35:59 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  7:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
Since I am using Brett's shingles I am just using the method he described but putting the flashing down before I shingle.
As a matter of fact I am shingling as I write this.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  7:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
Since I am using Brett's shingles I am just using the method he described but putting the flashing down before I shingle.
As a matter of fact I am shingling as I write this.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  9:19:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

All,

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, I'm using the wide border strips from the shingle sheet. I repainted the strips with pewter gray to resemble metal flashing.

On other projects/kits I have used masking tape, cut to size and painted, for flashing with BIS wood shingles. I lightly dusted the flashing with rust colored chalks and it looked pretty realistic.

Like Bags, I'm in the process of (re-)shingling. I'm just waiting for some glue to dry, so I thought I'd check in here for a minute.

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000