Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 147 ]  [ Total: 148 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile
I finished the pitched roof last night and installed the valley flashing and ridge cap. It looks nice when all finished up, but it's not really "prototypical." In the real world, valley flashing goes under the shingels, not over them. Oh well...

Thanks to the guys who caught the mis-sized Template B. Mine was the wrong size also, but I wouldn't have found the mistake until it was too late. But thanks to the heads-up, I was able to avoid cutting the roof too short. Everything fits, and I'll put the tarpaper on it Monday evening.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  1:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Thought I would give a progress report. I've decided to use wood for a subroof instead of the cardboard with the kit. I have half of the subroof cut and sanded to fit. Next is glue up. I used part of a sheet of 1/32"x4"x24" of dimensional basswood for the subroof. After glue up I'll put the valley flashings in before wooden shingles. I guess next week is "shingle week". I left the Foss Launch sign off until I get through with the shingles.

On decals, I'm having trouble with the complete decal coming off. They seem to be "dried out" and even with careful application with a burnishing tool still only come partially off. Any ideas ???

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  1:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Thought I would give a progress report. I've decided to use wood for a subroof instead of the cardboard with the kit. I have half of the subroof cut and sanded to fit. Next is glue up. I used part of a sheet of 1/32"x4"x24" of dimensional basswood for the subroof. After glue up I'll put the valley flashings in before wooden shingles. I guess next week is "shingle week". I left the Foss Launch sign off until I get through with the shingles.

On decals, I'm having trouble with the complete decal coming off. They seem to be "dried out" and even with careful application with a burnishing tool still only come partially off. Any ideas ???

Jim

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jim
The roof is looking good as well as the rest of the structure.
As for the decals I have had a somewhat similar problem. This lack of transfer is what caused my initial problem with the Clam & Oyster sign. Brett was nice enough to send me another set which worked much better. So maybe there is a problem with some of the transfers.
I have also noticed that the white ones seem to transfer much better than the black ones. Not sure why?
Again thanks for the picture.
I am also going to try to put valley flashings under the shingles using Brett's roofing.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jim
The roof is looking good as well as the rest of the structure.
As for the decals I have had a somewhat similar problem. This lack of transfer is what caused my initial problem with the Clam & Oyster sign. Brett was nice enough to send me another set which worked much better. So maybe there is a problem with some of the transfers.
I have also noticed that the white ones seem to transfer much better than the black ones. Not sure why?
Again thanks for the picture.
I am also going to try to put valley flashings under the shingles using Brett's roofing.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile
I have been getting the shingles ready for the Launch Co., the Claim & Oyster building, & the SW freight building. I thought I would shingle all of them at one sitting.

I am also trying to figure out how to put the valley flashings under the shingles. Any ideas?

Mike, since you have finished your roof, do you think it would look better with the valley flashings under the shingles or does it not make that much difference?

Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile
I have been getting the shingles ready for the Launch Co., the Claim & Oyster building, & the SW freight building. I thought I would shingle all of them at one sitting.

I am also trying to figure out how to put the valley flashings under the shingles. Any ideas?

Mike, since you have finished your roof, do you think it would look better with the valley flashings under the shingles or does it not make that much difference?

Paul

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Paul

Paul, it looks "OK," and perhaps most people who might see the model would never notice the difference. But I do. So if I had it to do over again, I would flash the valleys like they should be.

The easiest way would be to follow the prototype. (Well, sort of. This is a model, afterall... ) I would glue the roof template and wings to the structure, so the valleys are formed. Then I would glue in the flashing. Finally, I would cut the shingle strips to fit, strip by strip (which I did anyway) and install them. Also, I wouldn't glue the ridgecap as one long unbroken piece. I would cut the ridgecap into several small strips and glue them in overlapping fashion, similar to the way real roofers do it with wood shingles.

It all sounds like a lot of extra work, and it is. I did it that way with a shingle roof on my SRMW "Thorndike Mills" kit but it was worth it.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Paul

Paul, it looks "OK," and perhaps most people who might see the model would never notice the difference. But I do. So if I had it to do over again, I would flash the valleys like they should be.

The easiest way would be to follow the prototype. (Well, sort of. This is a model, afterall... ) I would glue the roof template and wings to the structure, so the valleys are formed. Then I would glue in the flashing. Finally, I would cut the shingle strips to fit, strip by strip (which I did anyway) and install them. Also, I wouldn't glue the ridgecap as one long unbroken piece. I would cut the ridgecap into several small strips and glue them in overlapping fashion, similar to the way real roofers do it with wood shingles.

It all sounds like a lot of extra work, and it is. I did it that way with a shingle roof on my SRMW "Thorndike Mills" kit but it was worth it.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  9:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will do as you suggested. I was hoping to figure out a faster way. Remember that miniature store you were talking about with the miniature baseballs? Do you think the might have some little roofers that would work cheap?

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/14/2003 9:36:23 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  9:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will do as you suggested. I was hoping to figure out a faster way. Remember that miniature store you were talking about with the miniature baseballs? Do you think the might have some little roofers that would work cheap?

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/14/2003 9:36:23 PM

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  08:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Well I am back to work on Foss' Launch company thanks to Brett!! He sent me all replacement pieces for all the water damaged pieces. I was not expecting him to sent that much for free but he did. So last evening I painted the windows and doors. Tonight I should install them and finish my decals.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  08:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Well I am back to work on Foss' Launch company thanks to Brett!! He sent me all replacement pieces for all the water damaged pieces. I was not expecting him to sent that much for free but he did. So last evening I painted the windows and doors. Tonight I should install them and finish my decals.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi, guys,

I bit the bullet last night and started stripping off the shingles. I started with the ridge cap and valley pieces and then I used an x-Acto chisel blade to peel the shingles back up. I think I've lost my mind but I kept looking at the valley flashing on top of the shingles, and I knew I couldn't live with it like that. So....

I don't know if I'll get anything done tonight or not. A couple of complete strangers are going to hack away on my leg a little later this morning. Other than a minor defect, it's a perfectly good leg, but they insist the minor defect needs correcting. In my mind, right now, the most compelling argument for letting them slice and dice on me is that I'm hungry. They won't let me eat or drink anything until they've done the deed. So I'm somewhat eager to get it over with.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi, guys,

I bit the bullet last night and started stripping off the shingles. I started with the ridge cap and valley pieces and then I used an x-Acto chisel blade to peel the shingles back up. I think I've lost my mind but I kept looking at the valley flashing on top of the shingles, and I knew I couldn't live with it like that. So....

I don't know if I'll get anything done tonight or not. A couple of complete strangers are going to hack away on my leg a little later this morning. Other than a minor defect, it's a perfectly good leg, but they insist the minor defect needs correcting. In my mind, right now, the most compelling argument for letting them slice and dice on me is that I'm hungry. They won't let me eat or drink anything until they've done the deed. So I'm somewhat eager to get it over with.

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000