Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  9:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi All
Paul thanks for the tip.
I just measured mine and it is too narrow if cut as printed on the card. I am going to add 1/4 inch just to be on the safe side.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  9:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi All
Paul thanks for the tip.
I just measured mine and it is too narrow if cut as printed on the card. I am going to add 1/4 inch just to be on the safe side.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  09:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Paul, thanks for the tip. I'm almost at the point where I will be ready to roof that part of the structure. I'll definitely have to measure before cutting.

I got about 3/4's of the pitched roof shingled last night. It was slow going because of the unshingled areas and the need to make angle cuts on each strip. But it was worth it. Even though I still have 1/4 of the roof to go, it looks really good when set in place on the Launch Co. structure.

I put the Clam & Oyster structure next to the Lauch Co. last night. I believe these are two of the best looking structures I have put together in a long time. I'm really looking forward to getting them on the diorama base and scenery in place.

This whole diorama is a photographer's delight.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  09:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Paul, thanks for the tip. I'm almost at the point where I will be ready to roof that part of the structure. I'll definitely have to measure before cutting.

I got about 3/4's of the pitched roof shingled last night. It was slow going because of the unshingled areas and the need to make angle cuts on each strip. But it was worth it. Even though I still have 1/4 of the roof to go, it looks really good when set in place on the Launch Co. structure.

I put the Clam & Oyster structure next to the Lauch Co. last night. I believe these are two of the best looking structures I have put together in a long time. I'm really looking forward to getting them on the diorama base and scenery in place.

This whole diorama is a photographer's delight.

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  4:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage
Hi everyone! sounds like you're all doing well with the kit! Paul had asked a few posts back who was working on the kit, & I just wanted to say that I'm going to wait for the next group project to start! Hopefully by then I'll have my workshop area completed, & I'll be ready to get down to business! I hope to do the Wood Cutters Shack, or The Freight House (I found a dealer who still has them - Link & pin hobbies! I got it today- NICE!) as my first craftsman kit. Keep up the good work.
JIMMY

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  4:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage
Hi everyone! sounds like you're all doing well with the kit! Paul had asked a few posts back who was working on the kit, & I just wanted to say that I'm going to wait for the next group project to start! Hopefully by then I'll have my workshop area completed, & I'll be ready to get down to business! I hope to do the Wood Cutters Shack, or The Freight House (I found a dealer who still has them - Link & pin hobbies! I got it today- NICE!) as my first craftsman kit. Keep up the good work.
JIMMY

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  6:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening all
Well the walls are finally together and like Paul I cut out the roof to see how everything looks. Again thanks for the tip on the roof size as I added 1/4 inch to the flat roof and it looks fine.
Also mention was made of the hard cardboard that Brett uses. I do not use an X-Acto but use single edge razor blades. I can get these in a box of 100 at my local hardware store for $5.19 and they work just fine. 2 passes and I was through the cardboard.
Have a great night. I am off to finish painting the shingles.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  6:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening all
Well the walls are finally together and like Paul I cut out the roof to see how everything looks. Again thanks for the tip on the roof size as I added 1/4 inch to the flat roof and it looks fine.
Also mention was made of the hard cardboard that Brett uses. I do not use an X-Acto but use single edge razor blades. I can get these in a box of 100 at my local hardware store for $5.19 and they work just fine. 2 passes and I was through the cardboard.
Have a great night. I am off to finish painting the shingles.

John Bagley

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  11:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
You said you are working on shingling the pitched roof. Are you following Brett’s instructions or doing something different? I know you paint them differently. I am going to probably start on it tomorrow & I was wondering if you have any tips?

Jimmy,
I was wondering about you. It was good to hear from you.

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/09/2003 11:42:42 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  11:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
You said you are working on shingling the pitched roof. Are you following Brett’s instructions or doing something different? I know you paint them differently. I am going to probably start on it tomorrow & I was wondering if you have any tips?

Jimmy,
I was wondering about you. It was good to hear from you.

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/09/2003 11:42:42 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:32:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Mike,
You said you are working on shingling the pitched roof. Are you following Brett?s instructions or doing something different? I know you paint them differently. I am going to probably start on it tomorrow & I was wondering if you have any tips?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, the only thing I'm doing that is actually different is that I'm not using the spray adhesive mentioned in the construction manual. I use an Elmer's Glue Stick to apply the shingle strips.

I use it partly because that's what I used to apply shingles with other kits/structures (including a couple of SRMW kits), and I've had good success doing it that way. I also use it because I'm cutting each strip of shingles to length and to match the angle of the unshingled area. I would be unable to do the measuring and test fitting if I sprayed that 3M adhesive on the roof template first.

I admit it's slow going doing it like that. Last night I finished the pitched roof and got one of the "wings" shingled. So I still have one wing left to shingle tonight before I'm finished up and can glue the roof in place.

I test fitted the pitched roof after I finished the shingling last night. It looks really good.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:32:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Mike,
You said you are working on shingling the pitched roof. Are you following Brett?s instructions or doing something different? I know you paint them differently. I am going to probably start on it tomorrow & I was wondering if you have any tips?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, the only thing I'm doing that is actually different is that I'm not using the spray adhesive mentioned in the construction manual. I use an Elmer's Glue Stick to apply the shingle strips.

I use it partly because that's what I used to apply shingles with other kits/structures (including a couple of SRMW kits), and I've had good success doing it that way. I also use it because I'm cutting each strip of shingles to length and to match the angle of the unshingled area. I would be unable to do the measuring and test fitting if I sprayed that 3M adhesive on the roof template first.

I admit it's slow going doing it like that. Last night I finished the pitched roof and got one of the "wings" shingled. So I still have one wing left to shingle tonight before I'm finished up and can glue the roof in place.

I test fitted the pitched roof after I finished the shingling last night. It looks really good.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  9:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I finally got off my backside and purchased
the plywood and the foam to make the diorama base.
I am using the RMC article as a guide to make a timber wall.
It will not look as elaborate as the others but it will be very realistic for Alaska.
Since I have been working on the base I have not completed the roof.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  9:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I finally got off my backside and purchased
the plywood and the foam to make the diorama base.
I am using the RMC article as a guide to make a timber wall.
It will not look as elaborate as the others but it will be very realistic for Alaska.
Since I have been working on the base I have not completed the roof.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile
I finished the pitched roof last night and installed the valley flashing and ridge cap. It looks nice when all finished up, but it's not really "prototypical." In the real world, valley flashing goes under the shingels, not over them. Oh well...

Thanks to the guys who caught the mis-sized Template B. Mine was the wrong size also, but I wouldn't have found the mistake until it was too late. But thanks to the heads-up, I was able to avoid cutting the roof too short. Everything fits, and I'll put the tarpaper on it Monday evening.

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000