Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
No shades planned for the Launch Company as the windows are small. i did model then slightly open as Brett shows in the instructions.
I have both shades and curtains in the Clam & Oyster House.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  09:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Paul, I got the baseballs at a miniature sporting goods store.... It was a bit of a squeeze getting in through the door, but I finally made it...

John, I got my July 2002 RMC back out last night and looked at that article again. I can see why it inspires you. It's interesting that Bob Bennett's inspiration came from Frary and Hayden's "Thatcher's Inlet" series. That was also a major inspiration for me. I still have those issues of RMC somewhere in my basement.

Back in the 80's (don't remember which year right now) the Gazette ran a 3-part series on another waterfront diorama. The photos in Bob Bennett's "Albion" diorama remind me of the Gazette article. I'll have to see if I can find the issues when I get home.

Paul, about the windows: I didn't put any coverings in the Launch Co. windows, but like John I left some partially open. I did put shades in several windows in the Clam building but no curtains/drapes.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  09:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Paul, I got the baseballs at a miniature sporting goods store.... It was a bit of a squeeze getting in through the door, but I finally made it...

John, I got my July 2002 RMC back out last night and looked at that article again. I can see why it inspires you. It's interesting that Bob Bennett's inspiration came from Frary and Hayden's "Thatcher's Inlet" series. That was also a major inspiration for me. I still have those issues of RMC somewhere in my basement.

Back in the 80's (don't remember which year right now) the Gazette ran a 3-part series on another waterfront diorama. The photos in Bob Bennett's "Albion" diorama remind me of the Gazette article. I'll have to see if I can find the issues when I get home.

Paul, about the windows: I didn't put any coverings in the Launch Co. windows, but like John I left some partially open. I did put shades in several windows in the Clam building but no curtains/drapes.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  09:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Mike & John,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would look good to have shades on the Launch Co. I wanted your ideas on it. I'll probably start the windows this weekend. Working on the signs later today.

All,

I was wondering who all is working on Fossí Landing. I know Mike, John, Jim, Harry & myself are. Is Jimmy going to start when he gets his Fossí kit? Has anyone else started or going to start?

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/05/2003 09:52:17 AM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  09:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Mike & John,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would look good to have shades on the Launch Co. I wanted your ideas on it. I'll probably start the windows this weekend. Working on the signs later today.

All,

I was wondering who all is working on Fossí Landing. I know Mike, John, Jim, Harry & myself are. Is Jimmy going to start when he gets his Fossí kit? Has anyone else started or going to start?

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/05/2003 09:52:17 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  10:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Paul, I forgot to add this info about the windows in my earlier post.

The mullions/frames that came with my kit were the self-adhesive variety. I just peeled the backing off and pressed the "glass" on. I noticed John said he had to glue his on with ACC. That may be another difference in the kits. (We noticed early on that there is a difference in the printing/binding/page numbering of our manuals, so there may be differences in construction materials also.)

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  10:10:03 AM  Show Profile

The mullions/frames that came with my kit were the self-adhesive variety. I just peeled the backing off and pressed the "glass" on. I noticed John said he had to glue his on with ACC. That may be another difference in the kits. (We noticed early on that there is a difference in the printing/binding/page numbering of our manuals, so there may be differences in construction materials also.)

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  1:24:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Mike, Mine too are self sticking but I thought Paul was talking about putting the windows into the openings, maybe I'm incorrect. If he is talking about putting the windows into the openings I too used ac for that part.

I did put curtains and blinds on my Clam and Oyster bar and will most likely not do so on the Launch comany since most of this type of business I've seen didn't have any. I also did a number of broken panes of glass on the Clam & Oyster bar and will do 2 or 3 on the Launch company.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  1:24:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Mike, Mine too are self sticking but I thought Paul was talking about putting the windows into the openings, maybe I'm incorrect. If he is talking about putting the windows into the openings I too used ac for that part.

I did put curtains and blinds on my Clam and Oyster bar and will most likely not do so on the Launch comany since most of this type of business I've seen didn't have any. I also did a number of broken panes of glass on the Clam & Oyster bar and will do 2 or 3 on the Launch company.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  2:01:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

I guess I misunderstood Paul's question.

I glued my windows into the wall openings with white glue. I didn't think about using ACC.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  2:01:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

I guess I misunderstood Paul's question.

I glued my windows into the wall openings with white glue. I didn't think about using ACC.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  3:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I was talking about gluing the windows into the opening. Brett talks about using epoxy several different places. I did not know if it was necessary to go to that length since the windows are partly open & do not have much to glue to. My window mullions are self-adhesive as well.

I'm sorry for the confusion. My original question was not worded clear enough.

Thanks again for the replies,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/05/2003 3:40:43 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  3:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I was talking about gluing the windows into the opening. Brett talks about using epoxy several different places. I did not know if it was necessary to go to that length since the windows are partly open & do not have much to glue to. My window mullions are self-adhesive as well.

I'm sorry for the confusion. My original question was not worded clear enough.

Thanks again for the replies,
Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/05/2003 3:40:43 PM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Finished the diorama wall. Turned from a brick retaining wall to a "fieldstone" retaining wall. Could not get the bricks the right size. A problem with using a self hardening clay as mortar and clay bricks is they both took an alcohol/india stain equally. So I went with natural color of clay. Now I can start on the Launch Co.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 04/06/2003 1:30:05 PM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Finished the diorama wall. Turned from a brick retaining wall to a "fieldstone" retaining wall. Could not get the bricks the right size. A problem with using a self hardening clay as mortar and clay bricks is they both took an alcohol/india stain equally. So I went with natural color of clay. Now I can start on the Launch Co.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 04/06/2003 1:30:05 PM

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000