Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I am doing the same thing as Harry. Multiple projects seems to keep the ball moving. I used to work one project at a time. Usually, at some point, I get tired of it and need to work on something different.

To tie this into the Foss thread, what if you started a different part of the kit?

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I am doing the same thing as Harry. Multiple projects seems to keep the ball moving. I used to work one project at a time. Usually, at some point, I get tired of it and need to work on something different.

To tie this into the Foss thread, what if you started a different part of the kit?

Chuck

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  12:29:06 PM  Show Profile
John,

I have to agree with Harry and Chuck. I am in some what of a slump and have not been spending the amount of time I need to on Foss'. I attribute it to the world situation going on now. I have many friends and three family members in Iraq and spend most of my time watching CNN.

I had worried that I was getting way behind you guys.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  12:29:06 PM  Show Profile
John,

I have to agree with Harry and Chuck. I am in some what of a slump and have not been spending the amount of time I need to on Foss'. I attribute it to the world situation going on now. I have many friends and three family members in Iraq and spend most of my time watching CNN.

I had worried that I was getting way behind you guys.

Jim

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  3:21:37 PM  Show Profile
John, in all the years I've been in the hobby building models for layouts, there have been only two kits and 1 scratchbuilt structure that I stuck with and assembled without pause or interruption. (They are Campbell's "Wharf" and SW's "Machine Shop.) I can't remember any other kit that I worked on without taking some "break" and moving on to something else at least for a while. In some cases, the break lasted only a day or two. In others - most notably my "Sasson Vinegar" - the break lasted literally years.

Just like Harry, I have also gone for long periods of time without working on my layout. In fact, I've been in one of those periods now for over a year. I get myself all psyched up to work on an unfinished peninsula, go to the basement, stand around for 5 minutes or so, and then head back upstairs. I'm not too worried, though, because I've gone through periods like this before. Usually, when I come out of them, I'm more inspired and work harder than I would have otherwise.

If nothing else, remember it's only a hobby. There are no hard and fast deadlines to have anything finished by a certain point in time.

Now get to work.....

hehe

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  3:21:37 PM  Show Profile
John, in all the years I've been in the hobby building models for layouts, there have been only two kits and 1 scratchbuilt structure that I stuck with and assembled without pause or interruption. (They are Campbell's "Wharf" and SW's "Machine Shop.) I can't remember any other kit that I worked on without taking some "break" and moving on to something else at least for a while. In some cases, the break lasted only a day or two. In others - most notably my "Sasson Vinegar" - the break lasted literally years.

Just like Harry, I have also gone for long periods of time without working on my layout. In fact, I've been in one of those periods now for over a year. I get myself all psyched up to work on an unfinished peninsula, go to the basement, stand around for 5 minutes or so, and then head back upstairs. I'm not too worried, though, because I've gone through periods like this before. Usually, when I come out of them, I'm more inspired and work harder than I would have otherwise.

If nothing else, remember it's only a hobby. There are no hard and fast deadlines to have anything finished by a certain point in time.

Now get to work.....

hehe

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would bring everyone up to date on my progress with Foss’ Landing. I have “toothpicked” my castings & finished the first coat & primer work on them. Mike, your toothpick idea is a great one. That little “handle” sure makes it easy to those hold little buggers while you are painting them. I have done the advance preparations on the Clam & Oyster Co., but have not started the structure yet. Someone mentioned in an earlier post tat they were missing brass wire from bag 4. Mine only had 1 of the 3 it was supposed to have. Fortunately I have brass wire on hand so that was not a problem. I hope to make some progress on the structure soon.

I have started the Launch Co. building. The advance prep is done. The walls have been weathered & painted. I have started the signs & will finish those tonight. I decided to go with the color Brett suggested. After the weathering you put a base coat of Floquil Concrete & then wipe off the excess until you get the desired color. At first I did not know if I would like the color since it had a greenish tint to it. I decided to trust Brett & continued on. I brushed with wire brush & used the India ink stain. I applied the Floquil Reefer White. (I wore a mask since it stunk so badly. My brain is messed up enough like it is. I didn’t want the Floquil to do more damage.) I used his cloth towel method & it worked great! My towel had a “curled nap” like most towels do. I don’t think a plain cloth would work. You want the effect that a terry cloth towel gives. For those who do this, make sure you dab off the excess on a paper towel. Don’t have too much on your towel or the “peeling” effect won’t be there. I put on a light coat at first. Then I added two more coats letting each coat try thoroughly. I think it is better to add 2 or 3 light coats especially if you have never used this method before. I probably have a little more paint on the walls than Brett but I like the look. I wanted it to look very weathered but not too run down.

All of the stripwood & windows have their final coat. I used Floquil Concrete, ink stain & Floquil Reefer White applied with a towel as the instructions say.

I am very happy with the color & my concern about the concrete color was for nothing. I am looking forward to doing the signs & windows. I am anxious to see this building finished. I think it will be a great looking structure.

I have a question about the windows. What kind of glue did you use to glue set them in the window opening? Also, did you use the broken glass effect & if you did to what extent? Finally, did you put any window shades in your windows?

One problem I had is the same others have had. That is with warping. I did not use bracing at first but then I started having problems. I checked the instructions again & even went ahead & looked at the picture were the walls are assembled. No mention of bracing. I decided to brace my walls & I had no problem after that. I braced the walls going across, opposite the way the siding goes, not up & down like in the Clam & Oyster building.

I’m real happy with everything so far. I have a busy weekend ahead so I am not sure how much I’ll get done.

John & Jim,

Don’t worry about loosing interest. I have had “burn out” with a kit. This is normal & it too will pass. You have been working on it for several weeks. Try working on another kit or another aspect of the kit like others have suggested. You might want to paint the castings. Sometimes I get frustrated that I don’t have more time to work on my model RRing. I have so many things I want to do, so many kits to build. I have to remind myself that this is a hobby & should be fun. It is not something we “have” to do. If I put pressure on myself, then it is no longer fun. Just go at your own pace & enjoy yourself.

I do try to do something in the hobby every day because I enjoy it. Sometimes I will only work on something 15 minutes, other times for hours.

Jim, if you are watching CNN, is there anything you can work on while you are watching TV? I sometimes do that.

Don’t anyone worry that they might be getting behind. I am the one that is behind. You guys are a structure ahead of me!!

I guess this post is long enough, so bye for now.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/04/2003 4:27:56 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would bring everyone up to date on my progress with Foss’ Landing. I have “toothpicked” my castings & finished the first coat & primer work on them. Mike, your toothpick idea is a great one. That little “handle” sure makes it easy to those hold little buggers while you are painting them. I have done the advance preparations on the Clam & Oyster Co., but have not started the structure yet. Someone mentioned in an earlier post tat they were missing brass wire from bag 4. Mine only had 1 of the 3 it was supposed to have. Fortunately I have brass wire on hand so that was not a problem. I hope to make some progress on the structure soon.

I have started the Launch Co. building. The advance prep is done. The walls have been weathered & painted. I have started the signs & will finish those tonight. I decided to go with the color Brett suggested. After the weathering you put a base coat of Floquil Concrete & then wipe off the excess until you get the desired color. At first I did not know if I would like the color since it had a greenish tint to it. I decided to trust Brett & continued on. I brushed with wire brush & used the India ink stain. I applied the Floquil Reefer White. (I wore a mask since it stunk so badly. My brain is messed up enough like it is. I didn’t want the Floquil to do more damage.) I used his cloth towel method & it worked great! My towel had a “curled nap” like most towels do. I don’t think a plain cloth would work. You want the effect that a terry cloth towel gives. For those who do this, make sure you dab off the excess on a paper towel. Don’t have too much on your towel or the “peeling” effect won’t be there. I put on a light coat at first. Then I added two more coats letting each coat try thoroughly. I think it is better to add 2 or 3 light coats especially if you have never used this method before. I probably have a little more paint on the walls than Brett but I like the look. I wanted it to look very weathered but not too run down.

All of the stripwood & windows have their final coat. I used Floquil Concrete, ink stain & Floquil Reefer White applied with a towel as the instructions say.

I am very happy with the color & my concern about the concrete color was for nothing. I am looking forward to doing the signs & windows. I am anxious to see this building finished. I think it will be a great looking structure.

I have a question about the windows. What kind of glue did you use to glue set them in the window opening? Also, did you use the broken glass effect & if you did to what extent? Finally, did you put any window shades in your windows?

One problem I had is the same others have had. That is with warping. I did not use bracing at first but then I started having problems. I checked the instructions again & even went ahead & looked at the picture were the walls are assembled. No mention of bracing. I decided to brace my walls & I had no problem after that. I braced the walls going across, opposite the way the siding goes, not up & down like in the Clam & Oyster building.

I’m real happy with everything so far. I have a busy weekend ahead so I am not sure how much I’ll get done.

John & Jim,

Don’t worry about loosing interest. I have had “burn out” with a kit. This is normal & it too will pass. You have been working on it for several weeks. Try working on another kit or another aspect of the kit like others have suggested. You might want to paint the castings. Sometimes I get frustrated that I don’t have more time to work on my model RRing. I have so many things I want to do, so many kits to build. I have to remind myself that this is a hobby & should be fun. It is not something we “have” to do. If I put pressure on myself, then it is no longer fun. Just go at your own pace & enjoy yourself.

I do try to do something in the hobby every day because I enjoy it. Sometimes I will only work on something 15 minutes, other times for hours.

Jim, if you are watching CNN, is there anything you can work on while you are watching TV? I sometimes do that.

Don’t anyone worry that they might be getting behind. I am the one that is behind. You guys are a structure ahead of me!!

I guess this post is long enough, so bye for now.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/04/2003 4:27:56 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  5:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Thanks for the advice. It is not like I was giving up the hobby but just was not in the mood to work on the Launch Company. I have been reading and of course participating here to fill the void. I have also been contemplating the country store scratch build for which Jim Mooney posted the plans.
I am sure that very soon I will be back at the Launch company but did not want to do something on the kit just for the sake of doing it.

Paul you wrote
To glue in the windows I used small dabs in the 4 corners of Instant Krazy Glue Craft Gel Formula which I get at Walmart.
As to the glass itself I modeled mine with complete panes as Alaska is cold and broken windows in an operational building would be fixed ASAP.
I do use shades in most of the larger windows.
Mike mentioned something about throwing scale sized baseballs at his window panes to break them. Sounds like a great technique to me.

Well thanks to all of you for the tips and look forward to being back in full swing ASAP.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  5:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Thanks for the advice. It is not like I was giving up the hobby but just was not in the mood to work on the Launch Company. I have been reading and of course participating here to fill the void. I have also been contemplating the country store scratch build for which Jim Mooney posted the plans.
I am sure that very soon I will be back at the Launch company but did not want to do something on the kit just for the sake of doing it.

Paul you wrote
To glue in the windows I used small dabs in the 4 corners of Instant Krazy Glue Craft Gel Formula which I get at Walmart.
As to the glass itself I modeled mine with complete panes as Alaska is cold and broken windows in an operational building would be fixed ASAP.
I do use shades in most of the larger windows.
Mike mentioned something about throwing scale sized baseballs at his window panes to break them. Sounds like a great technique to me.

Well thanks to all of you for the tips and look forward to being back in full swing ASAP.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi again'
One thing I forgot to mention in the post above.
Mike you talked of motivation and what motivated you.
I have found a source that I use to help me.
It is the article called "The Magic of a Waterfront Town" which was published in the July 2002 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
I have read and reread this article with its many pictures over and over again. East time I read and look at the pictures I see something new that I would like to use on my layout.
So I also have found an article and pictures to inspire me.
Thanks all for listening.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi again'
One thing I forgot to mention in the post above.
Mike you talked of motivation and what motivated you.
I have found a source that I use to help me.
It is the article called "The Magic of a Waterfront Town" which was published in the July 2002 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
I have read and reread this article with its many pictures over and over again. East time I read and look at the pictures I see something new that I would like to use on my layout.
So I also have found an article and pictures to inspire me.
Thanks all for listening.

John Bagley

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  11:59:33 PM  Show Profile
John,

Thanks for the info. I am planning on putting shades on the Clam & oyster building. Did you put shades on your Launch Building?

I too have read the article in the July RMC. A lot of good ideas for a waterfront.

Mike,

Where do you get those scale baseballs? I must have missed that post!!

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/05/2003 08:23:56 AM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  11:59:33 PM  Show Profile
John,

Thanks for the info. I am planning on putting shades on the Clam & oyster building. Did you put shades on your Launch Building?

I too have read the article in the July RMC. A lot of good ideas for a waterfront.

Mike,

Where do you get those scale baseballs? I must have missed that post!!

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/05/2003 08:23:56 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
No shades planned for the Launch Company as the windows are small. i did model then slightly open as Brett shows in the instructions.
I have both shades and curtains in the Clam & Oyster House.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000