Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  7:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
First: Jim your roof looks terrific. Great job on the shingles.
Second: On the instructions for the Launch Company. Page 34 step # 2.
Tugs & Barges sign,
it says cut 4 pieces of .020 x 3/32 x 6" long stripwood from bag #1: 2 7/8" long.
That length is longer than the side the sign is to be attached to.
I think it should read 1 7/8" long which is the length I used and it works well.
Mike for your directions I am not sure of the page number but I think the step should read the same.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  8:24:20 PM  Show Profile
John, thanks for the heads-up. I found the instructions in my manual and made a note in the margin.

I'm still staining stripwood in the prep steps but should be ready to move ahead this evening. I'm hoping to make some substantial progress over the next couple of evenings before heading back to the Lake at the end of the week.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  8:24:20 PM  Show Profile
John, thanks for the heads-up. I found the instructions in my manual and made a note in the margin.

I'm still staining stripwood in the prep steps but should be ready to move ahead this evening. I'm hoping to make some substantial progress over the next couple of evenings before heading back to the Lake at the end of the week.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Also if you do cut it 2 7/8" don't do like I did earlier tonight and cut all 4 from 2 of the 6" long pieces because on the next page you cut 4 pieces of 3 1/8" from the remaining pieces. If you cut a 2 7/8 from each of of 4 pieces you will have 4 3 1/8" pieces left. If you do like I did you will be short a 3 1/8" piece. Good thing I have all kinds of scale lumber in stock.
You will see the same situation with the next sign the lettering is much smaller than the total length of board. I think I will end up trimming them both later.

Jim,
You have some great looking shingles. Very well done.

aartwmich,
Yes much better thank you. Hard to keep me down, just ask my wife.

I talked to Brett yesterday, my backwoods work train should be on it's way. Will give me something else to work on like Mike is doing. I already have the trucks and couplers. He was telling me about the new structures, I am looking forward to them.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Also if you do cut it 2 7/8" don't do like I did earlier tonight and cut all 4 from 2 of the 6" long pieces because on the next page you cut 4 pieces of 3 1/8" from the remaining pieces. If you cut a 2 7/8 from each of of 4 pieces you will have 4 3 1/8" pieces left. If you do like I did you will be short a 3 1/8" piece. Good thing I have all kinds of scale lumber in stock.
You will see the same situation with the next sign the lettering is much smaller than the total length of board. I think I will end up trimming them both later.

Jim,
You have some great looking shingles. Very well done.

aartwmich,
Yes much better thank you. Hard to keep me down, just ask my wife.

I talked to Brett yesterday, my backwoods work train should be on it's way. Will give me something else to work on like Mike is doing. I already have the trucks and couplers. He was telling me about the new structures, I am looking forward to them.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  09:57:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Harry, what did Brett tell you about the new structures? Don't leave us hanging like that. Enquiring minds want to know.

I didn't get as much accomplished last night as I had hoped. I was staining the scribed siding and had some problems with warping. So that slowed me down because I had to put each piece under lead pattern weights to flatten them back out. In the meantime, that old rascal Rusty Stumps called me and jabbered at me for about 45 minutes. (Actually, we had good visit. )

Hopefully, all of the siding will be dry and flat by this afternoon, so I can move on ahead. I've never had siding curl like that before. I even stained the backside, but that helped straighten the pieces only a small bit. I will definitely add bracing before going any further ahead. I should have listened to John and Harry.

Edited by - MikeC on 03/26/2003 10:01:30 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  09:57:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Harry, what did Brett tell you about the new structures? Don't leave us hanging like that. Enquiring minds want to know.

I didn't get as much accomplished last night as I had hoped. I was staining the scribed siding and had some problems with warping. So that slowed me down because I had to put each piece under lead pattern weights to flatten them back out. In the meantime, that old rascal Rusty Stumps called me and jabbered at me for about 45 minutes. (Actually, we had good visit. )

Hopefully, all of the siding will be dry and flat by this afternoon, so I can move on ahead. I've never had siding curl like that before. I even stained the backside, but that helped straighten the pieces only a small bit. I will definitely add bracing before going any further ahead. I should have listened to John and Harry.

Edited by - MikeC on 03/26/2003 10:01:30 AM

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  1:00:09 PM  Show Profile
It was not any more than what has already been discussed. I mentioned all the discussion about Shelby's and said he should re-release it and he said he would not ever do that but that the two new structures would be a good replacement for the detail in Shelby's.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  1:00:09 PM  Show Profile
It was not any more than what has already been discussed. I mentioned all the discussion about Shelby's and said he should re-release it and he said he would not ever do that but that the two new structures would be a good replacement for the detail in Shelby's.

Harry

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  01:36:23 AM  Show Profile
John,

You wrote, "The false front buildings are very common in the rural Alaska area I am modeling. Do you have any of the kits and if so what do you think of them. I am not familiar with their product."

I have purchased 3 of their kits & built none. I met him at a narrow gauge convention & then when to see him one time while in Colorado. These are nice looking kits, good instructions & what is really nice, is he has enclosed jigs for the cornices, stairs & other items that might need them. The glazing for the windows are preprinted & he has enclosed non printed if you do not what to use them. These kits are laser cut, finescale kits, not for the novice (which I know your are not). It is a small company & you do not see many on layouts. They are not limited addition kits. They also come with foundations. With the instructions, jigs & tab-in-tab laser cut walls, I think they will go together pretty easy.

These are on my short list (which keeps getting longer) to build.

I have pictures I took at a convention. They are on in my computer. I just canít get them to post. I believe they are too large. MikeC told me how to post pictures. I just have to find that info & try to figure it out.

I hope this helps.
Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  01:36:23 AM  Show Profile
John,

You wrote, "The false front buildings are very common in the rural Alaska area I am modeling. Do you have any of the kits and if so what do you think of them. I am not familiar with their product."

I have purchased 3 of their kits & built none. I met him at a narrow gauge convention & then when to see him one time while in Colorado. These are nice looking kits, good instructions & what is really nice, is he has enclosed jigs for the cornices, stairs & other items that might need them. The glazing for the windows are preprinted & he has enclosed non printed if you do not what to use them. These kits are laser cut, finescale kits, not for the novice (which I know your are not). It is a small company & you do not see many on layouts. They are not limited addition kits. They also come with foundations. With the instructions, jigs & tab-in-tab laser cut walls, I think they will go together pretty easy.

These are on my short list (which keeps getting longer) to build.

I have pictures I took at a convention. They are on in my computer. I just canít get them to post. I believe they are too large. MikeC told me how to post pictures. I just have to find that info & try to figure it out.

I hope this helps.
Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  01:42:52 AM  Show Profile
John,

As I'm sure you realize, I was talking about Crystal River Products. http://www.crystalriverproducts.com/

Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  01:42:52 AM  Show Profile
John,

As I'm sure you realize, I was talking about Crystal River Products. http://www.crystalriverproducts.com/

Paul

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  09:49:34 AM  Show Profile
I made fairly reasonable progress last night on the Launch Co. I got the final coat of paint applied and all of the walls trimmed. As I said before, I decided to stick with the same overall paint scheme as I used on the first structure: peeling green trim and fading, chalking whitewashed walls.

I cut the sign to 2" (rather than the 1-7/8's mentioned earlier) and got it put together and painted. I used Apple Barrel Antique White to paint the sign, but the contrast between it and the faded, whitewashed walls may be too great. I'm going to look at it some more and maybe change the color. It's almost too yellow.

That was as far as I got. Where are the rest of you?

Edited by - MikeC on 03/27/2003 09:51:40 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  09:49:34 AM  Show Profile
I made fairly reasonable progress last night on the Launch Co. I got the final coat of paint applied and all of the walls trimmed. As I said before, I decided to stick with the same overall paint scheme as I used on the first structure: peeling green trim and fading, chalking whitewashed walls.

I cut the sign to 2" (rather than the 1-7/8's mentioned earlier) and got it put together and painted. I used Apple Barrel Antique White to paint the sign, but the contrast between it and the faded, whitewashed walls may be too great. I'm going to look at it some more and maybe change the color. It's almost too yellow.

That was as far as I got. Where are the rest of you?

Edited by - MikeC on 03/27/2003 09:51:40 AM

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000