Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 179 ]  [ Total: 182 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Mike,

You are right with me, especially since I spent most of yesterday in the hospital emergency room waiting for x-rays after being hit by a crazy woman while I was sitting at a red light. She hit my truck so hard that I was driven up under the dash board and was afraid I broke my leg. Well it is not broken but has a number of bad cuts and stitches.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow Harry
Does not sound like a fun day.
Glad to hear nothing was broken.
Watch out for those crazy drivers.
Glad to hear that your modeling arms and hands were not hurt.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow Harry
Does not sound like a fun day.
Glad to hear nothing was broken.
Watch out for those crazy drivers.
Glad to hear that your modeling arms and hands were not hurt.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Harry, I'd be a smart-ass and tell you that's what you get for sitting still , but it sounds like it was much too serious to be silly about it.

I guess the upside is that it wasn't any worse than it was. Hope you heal completely and quickly.

On my end of things, I had an MRI on my left knee last Thursday. I have torn cartilage and have to see a surgeon this coming Thursday. I'm assuming I'll have to have surgery on the knee sometime in the next few weeks. I'll be glad to get it over with because I'm tired of the ache in the joint and the numbness down the back of my leg. We are supposed to go to Alabama to visit some of my wife's family the first week of April. I'm not looking forward to the long hours of driving with my knee all jacked around.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Harry, I'd be a smart-ass and tell you that's what you get for sitting still , but it sounds like it was much too serious to be silly about it.

I guess the upside is that it wasn't any worse than it was. Hope you heal completely and quickly.

On my end of things, I had an MRI on my left knee last Thursday. I have torn cartilage and have to see a surgeon this coming Thursday. I'm assuming I'll have to have surgery on the knee sometime in the next few weeks. I'll be glad to get it over with because I'm tired of the ache in the joint and the numbness down the back of my leg. We are supposed to go to Alabama to visit some of my wife's family the first week of April. I'm not looking forward to the long hours of driving with my knee all jacked around.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  02:40:54 AM  Show Profile
All,

I too am starting the Launch Co. this weekend. I have all of the metal casting primed. The resin “wood” castings have their initial coat. I will do the prep for the Launch Co. and hopefully be able to start with the structure itself this weekend. In between I am going to build my diorama base before I start the Clam & Oyster building. That way I can at least have someplace to put my buildings as I get them finished!

I was hoping to be farther along, but we have just moved into a new house and since it is 60+ degrees here, I have to start working on the yard & such. I have also been working on the SW freight house this week. I had to finish painting all of the castings so I could start to finish the diorama. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to paint all of the detail castings! I bet the Foss’ Landing castings will take awhile when I get that far! When I get the freight house finished & get my camera back from a friend who borrowed it, I will post some pictures of it on the General Discussion Thread.

Some of you were taking about wood shingles a few postings ago. I think some of the best are from Crystal River Products, a small company in Colorado. They are in scale & well done. I may put them on my SW freight house for a change. They also have some great false front retail buildings with tremendous detail. He gives jigs with all of his kits to make assembly easier. Their URL is http://www.crystalriverproducts.com/

Harry,
I’m sorry about your accident. Take it easy & I hope you get completely well soon.

Mike,
Sorry to hear about your knee. I know several who have had that type of operation. They are doing well after it was over & all had healed.

Maybe this will give you both some extra time to model, since you will not be able to do other things (like yard work) while you recuperate.

Thank all of you for your postings. They will help as I start Foss’.

Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  02:40:54 AM  Show Profile
All,

I too am starting the Launch Co. this weekend. I have all of the metal casting primed. The resin “wood” castings have their initial coat. I will do the prep for the Launch Co. and hopefully be able to start with the structure itself this weekend. In between I am going to build my diorama base before I start the Clam & Oyster building. That way I can at least have someplace to put my buildings as I get them finished!

I was hoping to be farther along, but we have just moved into a new house and since it is 60+ degrees here, I have to start working on the yard & such. I have also been working on the SW freight house this week. I had to finish painting all of the castings so I could start to finish the diorama. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to paint all of the detail castings! I bet the Foss’ Landing castings will take awhile when I get that far! When I get the freight house finished & get my camera back from a friend who borrowed it, I will post some pictures of it on the General Discussion Thread.

Some of you were taking about wood shingles a few postings ago. I think some of the best are from Crystal River Products, a small company in Colorado. They are in scale & well done. I may put them on my SW freight house for a change. They also have some great false front retail buildings with tremendous detail. He gives jigs with all of his kits to make assembly easier. Their URL is http://www.crystalriverproducts.com/

Harry,
I’m sorry about your accident. Take it easy & I hope you get completely well soon.

Mike,
Sorry to hear about your knee. I know several who have had that type of operation. They are doing well after it was over & all had healed.

Maybe this will give you both some extra time to model, since you will not be able to do other things (like yard work) while you recuperate.

Thank all of you for your postings. They will help as I start Foss’.

Paul

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  08:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well speaking of the Launch Company. I will be definitely going with the whitewash building sides and a red trim. I used the red trim like Matt on Big Lou's and like the look. I have not decided which red to use but I will decide from a test strip I painted from all the different red paint I own.
Also I am surprised that there is no bracing mentioned for the walls. Anytime a alcohol wash is used I have had trouble with the wood curling so I am definitely adding bracing. Also I think it makes a stronger structure.
Well it is off to work on a beautiful sunny day. Rats.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  08:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well speaking of the Launch Company. I will be definitely going with the whitewash building sides and a red trim. I used the red trim like Matt on Big Lou's and like the look. I have not decided which red to use but I will decide from a test strip I painted from all the different red paint I own.
Also I am surprised that there is no bracing mentioned for the walls. Anytime a alcohol wash is used I have had trouble with the wood curling so I am definitely adding bracing. Also I think it makes a stronger structure.
Well it is off to work on a beautiful sunny day. Rats.

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  7:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I also was surprised about the bracing and did put bracing on mine. Well today I weathered and painted the walls. I went with Brett's directions for mine with the exception of using aged concrete paint instead of concrete, I like the color better.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  7:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I also was surprised about the bracing and did put bracing on mine. Well today I weathered and painted the walls. I went with Brett's directions for mine with the exception of using aged concrete paint instead of concrete, I like the color better.

Harry

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  11:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Guys,

Harry sorry to hear about your accident, hope you are better. Mike hope your surgey improves your condition.

Packed my modeling box to go home two days ago and have not made any progress. Tonite is the last night on the well. Still having problems deciding on where to place the 16"X16"diorama
base on 16" x48' add-on. I want to have room for the future SW Foss'Landing Kits in the same area. Wish Brett posted footprints.

Sounds as if everyone is progressing. I'll be back in the grove tomorrow.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  11:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Guys,

Harry sorry to hear about your accident, hope you are better. Mike hope your surgey improves your condition.

Packed my modeling box to go home two days ago and have not made any progress. Tonite is the last night on the well. Still having problems deciding on where to place the 16"X16"diorama
base on 16" x48' add-on. I want to have room for the future SW Foss'Landing Kits in the same area. Wish Brett posted footprints.

Sounds as if everyone is progressing. I'll be back in the grove tomorrow.

Jim

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  10:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
The Launch Company: I have all the walls weathered, braced, painted as well as the window pieces and the trim. Went with the weathered white for all including the trim. I may still add a hint of red on the trim and windows.
Tomorrow night I will start on the signs.
I am keeping my fingers crossed so that I do not have any trouble with the transfers like I did on the Clam & Oyster Company. I hope I have learned my lesson.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  10:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
The Launch Company: I have all the walls weathered, braced, painted as well as the window pieces and the trim. Went with the weathered white for all including the trim. I may still add a hint of red on the trim and windows.
Tomorrow night I will start on the signs.
I am keeping my fingers crossed so that I do not have any trouble with the transfers like I did on the Clam & Oyster Company. I hope I have learned my lesson.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000