Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  8:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Mike I like the looks of your stove pipe. I never thought to put mine through the side of the building. Great job.

Jimmy if you are waiting for the mailman you are waiting for the wrong person.
Brett uses UPS. If your UPS driver is like mine check your shrubs for a package.
Brett did say that he reads the forums. I am sure he is probably one of the many guests we have.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  11:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone,

Shingles look great Mike. I had thought about putting the stove pipe through the wall, but in the end used the window. I have seen it both ways in 1:1.

Spent the morning removing the awning and going back with staggered shingles instead of the "tarpaper". Just a suggestion, but if anyone goes with wooden shingles, use the staggered method. It looks a lot better.

This afternoon worked on the wharf. Thanks for the help on the trim, went together great. Tomorrow is staining day. Then on to the diorama base. The extension I had originally planned on building (1x3 ft) has changed to 16" x 48 inches. Will post up questions for advice and comments this weekend with pics.

Extended my well a couple of days, so it will be the weekend before I can post up.

I had emailed Brett last week about this month's order and got an answer Sunday, so he is around. I believe he tries to read this forum on Fridays.

All for Now,

Jim

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well spend last evening doing all the prep work for the Launch Company. I did find out I was missing the brass wire from bag #3, but is no big deal as I have plenty of wire I can use laying around.

Mike, structure looks great and that was a nice idea moving the smokejack from the window, I like Jim have seen it both ways in 1:1.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well spend last evening doing all the prep work for the Launch Company. I did find out I was missing the brass wire from bag #3, but is no big deal as I have plenty of wire I can use laying around.

Mike, structure looks great and that was a nice idea moving the smokejack from the window, I like Jim have seen it both ways in 1:1.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Well, I finally have a building! I finished up the "Clam & Oyster" building (gotta find a different name for that. It's the old thing about no oysters in the Ozarks... unless they're mountain oysters... hehe). I have to admit it looks pretty good. There are a couple of things I'm not totally satisfied with, but they are of my own doing and not the fault of the kit's design or the instructions. Also, I have to admit that in spite of my earlier misgivings about the metal door castings, they turned out looking pretty good afterall.

So now it's on to the wharf. And I'll keep the earlier discussions of its construction in mind and refer back to them if I need to.

Question: Am I the only one who has the diorama base finished? I noticed that Jim said he was going to be starting his soon, but no one else has mentioned it that I can recall. So I was curious..

I'll be starting the Launch Company structure as soon as I've finished the wharf.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile

Well, I finally have a building! I finished up the "Clam & Oyster" building (gotta find a different name for that. It's the old thing about no oysters in the Ozarks... unless they're mountain oysters... hehe). I have to admit it looks pretty good. There are a couple of things I'm not totally satisfied with, but they are of my own doing and not the fault of the kit's design or the instructions. Also, I have to admit that in spite of my earlier misgivings about the metal door castings, they turned out looking pretty good afterall.

So now it's on to the wharf. And I'll keep the earlier discussions of its construction in mind and refer back to them if I need to.

Question: Am I the only one who has the diorama base finished? I noticed that Jim said he was going to be starting his soon, but no one else has mentioned it that I can recall. So I was curious..

I'll be starting the Launch Company structure as soon as I've finished the wharf.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  10:17:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Well, I finally have a building! I finished up the "Clam & Oyster" building (gotta find a different name for that. It's the old thing about no oysters in the Ozarks... unless they're mountain oysters... hehe).

As for the name I decided to leave it and if anyone asked I would say that the original Clam & Oyster Company is located in Connecticut where we have plenty of oysters. This particular business was relocated to Alaska which is a natural tie to what I am modeling.

As for the diorama base I have completed the base on posterboard only. I have been too lazy to go and get some foam and as I want to model the timber retaining wall using the article in the July 2002 RMC article I need to place an order for stripwood to complete the timber wall.
Also this wall will be longer that the diorama base so I must figure where to start and end it.
I started on the Launch Company and have completed almost all the preliminary work.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  10:17:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Well, I finally have a building! I finished up the "Clam & Oyster" building (gotta find a different name for that. It's the old thing about no oysters in the Ozarks... unless they're mountain oysters... hehe).

As for the name I decided to leave it and if anyone asked I would say that the original Clam & Oyster Company is located in Connecticut where we have plenty of oysters. This particular business was relocated to Alaska which is a natural tie to what I am modeling.

As for the diorama base I have completed the base on posterboard only. I have been too lazy to go and get some foam and as I want to model the timber retaining wall using the article in the July 2002 RMC article I need to place an order for stripwood to complete the timber wall.
Also this wall will be longer that the diorama base so I must figure where to start and end it.
I started on the Launch Company and have completed almost all the preliminary work.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi, guys,

I got the wharf completed last night. Everything went quickly and smoothly. To stain the decking, I first painted the surface with black alcohol. After it dried, I wiped the recommended Floquil Concrete over it in a random fashion. The results turned out pretty good.

I'll go back over the nail holes later today after the Floquil has completely dried. Then I'll be ready to start the Launch Co. structure.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi, guys,

I got the wharf completed last night. Everything went quickly and smoothly. To stain the decking, I first painted the surface with black alcohol. After it dried, I wiped the recommended Floquil Concrete over it in a random fashion. The results turned out pretty good.

I'll go back over the nail holes later today after the Floquil has completely dried. Then I'll be ready to start the Launch Co. structure.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  09:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Well, I started the Launch Co. structure last night. Actually, I started the prep work. After much thought, debate, and paint bottle shaking, I decided to stay with the same color scheme and methods that I used on the first building. I reasoned that because they are owned by the same company, they'd probably be painted pretty much the same. So, I'm going with the weathered whitewash and faded green trim again. The biggest difference will be that this structure's surface will be down to mostly bare weathered wood. Only traces of paint can be seen.

At least that's what I'm planning as of right now...

As for the roof, I think I'll go with the weathered shake shingles again, rather than the painted "Depot Olive" variety.

So, have I caught up with you guys yet? Or are you still way ahead of me?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  09:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Well, I started the Launch Co. structure last night. Actually, I started the prep work. After much thought, debate, and paint bottle shaking, I decided to stay with the same color scheme and methods that I used on the first building. I reasoned that because they are owned by the same company, they'd probably be painted pretty much the same. So, I'm going with the weathered whitewash and faded green trim again. The biggest difference will be that this structure's surface will be down to mostly bare weathered wood. Only traces of paint can be seen.

At least that's what I'm planning as of right now...

As for the roof, I think I'll go with the weathered shake shingles again, rather than the painted "Depot Olive" variety.

So, have I caught up with you guys yet? Or are you still way ahead of me?

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
I would say you are right with us.
I am going to use the paint scheme and roofing color that is in the instructions. The only thing I have not decided on is the color for the windows and trim. I may not use white, thinking of using red?
I will also use the very faded paint look myself.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
I would say you are right with us.
I am going to use the paint scheme and roofing color that is in the instructions. The only thing I have not decided on is the color for the windows and trim. I may not use white, thinking of using red?
I will also use the very faded paint look myself.

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Mike,

You are right with me, especially since I spent most of yesterday in the hospital emergency room waiting for x-rays after being hit by a crazy woman while I was sitting at a red light. She hit my truck so hard that I was driven up under the dash board and was afraid I broke my leg. Well it is not broken but has a number of bad cuts and stitches.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000