Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 162 ]  [ Total: 165 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow Harry
These look really good and I can definitely use them. I need something for my Hamilton Dinghies kit.
Thanks

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow Harry
These look really good and I can definitely use them. I need something for my Hamilton Dinghies kit.
Thanks

John Bagley

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  4:39:24 PM  Show Profile
WOW Harry that roof is NICE! Did I read previously that those shingles are paper?? Are they precut in strips?

Hey Mike how bout a pic of that stack? It sounds nice.

ima tomboygirlforever

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  4:39:24 PM  Show Profile
WOW Harry that roof is NICE! Did I read previously that those shingles are paper?? Are they precut in strips?

Hey Mike how bout a pic of that stack? It sounds nice.

ima tomboygirlforever

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  4:57:48 PM  Show Profile
aartwmich,

Thank you,

Yes they are paper and are cut into the strips execpt for the ends, after I painted them I just cut down the end of the strips and they were free, then when I placed them on the roof I was careful to stagger the strips to get an non-uniform look to them. The ones I used came in the kit but I have seen them available for sale, not sure who makes them, but somewhere I have a few packages of them.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  4:57:48 PM  Show Profile
aartwmich,

Thank you,

Yes they are paper and are cut into the strips execpt for the ends, after I painted them I just cut down the end of the strips and they were free, then when I placed them on the roof I was careful to stagger the strips to get an non-uniform look to them. The ones I used came in the kit but I have seen them available for sale, not sure who makes them, but somewhere I have a few packages of them.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile
Harry, you probably have some of these somewhere also... Builders in Scale used to make shingle strips that were cut the same way. The main difference was that the BIS shingles were made from cedar and not paper, and they came with the adhesive already on them. I still have about 1/2 package somewhere.

Also, South River Model Works includes in their kits shingle sheets that are very similar to the SW sheets. For some of the mill kits, SRMW includes "slate" shingles that are pretty neat. They look a lot like the "wooden" shingles, except that they are made from a heavy gray paper.

Anne, I'll see what I can do about a photo of the smoke jack.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile
Harry, you probably have some of these somewhere also... Builders in Scale used to make shingle strips that were cut the same way. The main difference was that the BIS shingles were made from cedar and not paper, and they came with the adhesive already on them. I still have about 1/2 package somewhere.

Also, South River Model Works includes in their kits shingle sheets that are very similar to the SW sheets. For some of the mill kits, SRMW includes "slate" shingles that are pretty neat. They look a lot like the "wooden" shingles, except that they are made from a heavy gray paper.

Anne, I'll see what I can do about a photo of the smoke jack.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  6:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Anne, here are a couple of photos of the smokejack. It looks a little more blue in color than it really is because I forgot to turn off the overhead fluorsescents before taking the photo.

Edited by - MikeC on 03/18/2003 6:49:15 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  6:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Anne, here are a couple of photos of the smokejack. It looks a little more blue in color than it really is because I forgot to turn off the overhead fluorsescents before taking the photo.

Edited by - MikeC on 03/18/2003 6:49:15 PM

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  7:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage
Mike, Nice stack! I like the idea as well of putting it thru the wall, to be a little different. Does Brett read this forum? If so - Brett: Where are my kits???? Its like the Christmas morning that never comes.... Each time I see my mailman coming up the driveway, I look to see if he has any packages with him! Nothing but bills, credit card offers, second mortgage offers, more bills, & no packages from SierraWest! I'm waiting for Foss, Railroad Camp, & Wood Cutters Shack! Any Day now...
JIMMY

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  7:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage
Mike, Nice stack! I like the idea as well of putting it thru the wall, to be a little different. Does Brett read this forum? If so - Brett: Where are my kits???? Its like the Christmas morning that never comes.... Each time I see my mailman coming up the driveway, I look to see if he has any packages with him! Nothing but bills, credit card offers, second mortgage offers, more bills, & no packages from SierraWest! I'm waiting for Foss, Railroad Camp, & Wood Cutters Shack! Any Day now...
JIMMY

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  8:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jimmy. As I said earlier, I still have to put some "tar" around the base and add the support rods.

I don't know how often Brett looks in on the discussions. The last time he logged on with his username was in early January. But I think he indicated to Bags that he did check in and read the thread periodically. So who knows....

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  8:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jimmy. As I said earlier, I still have to put some "tar" around the base and add the support rods.

I don't know how often Brett looks in on the discussions. The last time he logged on with his username was in early January. But I think he indicated to Bags that he did check in and read the thread periodically. So who knows....

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  8:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Mike I like the looks of your stove pipe. I never thought to put mine through the side of the building. Great job.

Jimmy if you are waiting for the mailman you are waiting for the wrong person.
Brett uses UPS. If your UPS driver is like mine check your shrubs for a package.
Brett did say that he reads the forums. I am sure he is probably one of the many guests we have.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000