Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 180 ]  [ Total: 184 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jim
I agree the instructions are a little confusing.
From looking at the picture and from my general knowledge of wharfs what I did was indent the lower trim so that it sets back to the inside edge of the first trim that was placed on the model. I know my explanation is confusing.
I used the photo on page 25 as a guide to see how to the lower trim looked.
The pieces of lower trim fit very well and I then glued in the braces between the lower trim.
Hope this helps.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile
I also did the exact same thing on mine, the lower piece is indented slightly from the upper. I actually made it flush with the original dock piece and then glued the first piece on, in other words I did mine in reverse, I glued on the lower piece first. It gave the dock a very nice shadow line.

I am also ready for the "launch company" and will start it tomorrow evening.

Thank everyone for their kind words, I have really enjoyed this project and working with everyone on-line.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile
I also did the exact same thing on mine, the lower piece is indented slightly from the upper. I actually made it flush with the original dock piece and then glued the first piece on, in other words I did mine in reverse, I glued on the lower piece first. It gave the dock a very nice shadow line.

Thank everyone for their kind words, I have really enjoyed this project and working with everyone on-line.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  5:45:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Harry I think your idea of doing it in reverse is right on the mark. It is one of those "Why did I not think of that"
Also Harry I sent you a PM which should be in your PM Inbox. Not sure if you saw it but I wanted some info on the Digital Camera you purchased.
Thanks

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  5:45:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Harry I think your idea of doing it in reverse is right on the mark. It is one of those "Why did I not think of that"
Also Harry I sent you a PM which should be in your PM Inbox. Not sure if you saw it but I wanted some info on the Digital Camera you purchased.
Thanks

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:53:54 PM  Show Profile
John, According to my PM box I don't have any private messages. I do really like my camera, it is a Kodak DX4330 3.1 megapix with 128 meg memery card and docking station. I'm not a photographer like Mike or Shamus, but it works great for me.

I have found them for $269.00 at pricewatch.com and the docking station for $69.00. With two memery cards and a tripod I think I have spent a total of $400.00.
What I really like about the docking station is you just put the camera on it and push a button and your photo's are sent to your computer. Also the docking station automaticly charges the batteries.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 03/18/2003 08:34:30 AM

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:53:54 PM  Show Profile
John, According to my PM box I don't have any private messages. I do really like my camera, it is a Kodak DX4330 3.1 megapix with 128 meg memery card and docking station. I'm not a photographer like Mike or Shamus, but it works great for me.

I have found them for $269.00 at pricewatch.com and the docking station for $69.00. With two memery cards and a tripod I think I have spent a total of $400.00.
What I really like about the docking station is you just put the camera on it and push a button and your photo's are sent to your computer. Also the docking station automaticly charges the batteries.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 03/18/2003 08:34:30 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  06:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Harry
Well I checked my PM outbox and the message I typed and thought I sent is not there.
However you answered the questions that I was interested in.
Thanks.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  06:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Harry
Well I checked my PM outbox and the message I typed and thought I sent is not there.
However you answered the questions that I was interested in.
Thanks.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm back to work on Foss' as advertised.

I got the roofs attached last night, so now it looks like a real structure.

I also mounted the smoke stack, but I did something different (again!) from what was called for in the instructions. First, I painted the stack with Humbrol Metal Cote "Gunmetal." After it dried, I buffed the whole stack with a soft cloth to get a nice metalic sheen. Next, I painted it with plain alcohol and then drizzled three rust colors of chalk powder over it. After that dried, I took a stiff bristled brush and brushed most of the chalk powder back off. The end result was a metal stack just starting to show rust and soot. Overall, I was pleased with the results.

The next thing was to mount the stack. The smoke stack coming out of the broken, boarded-over window is a great detail. But I kept wondering why the little people who occupy the building would block a window with a wood or coal burning stove. So I decided to relocate the stack. I mounted it on the outside wall about 6 or 7 scale feet from the window.

That's as far as I got with it last night. I still have to put the "tar" around the base of the stack and add the support wires. Then it's on to the chimney.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm back to work on Foss' as advertised.

I got the roofs attached last night, so now it looks like a real structure.

I also mounted the smoke stack, but I did something different (again!) from what was called for in the instructions. First, I painted the stack with Humbrol Metal Cote "Gunmetal." After it dried, I buffed the whole stack with a soft cloth to get a nice metalic sheen. Next, I painted it with plain alcohol and then drizzled three rust colors of chalk powder over it. After that dried, I took a stiff bristled brush and brushed most of the chalk powder back off. The end result was a metal stack just starting to show rust and soot. Overall, I was pleased with the results.

The next thing was to mount the stack. The smoke stack coming out of the broken, boarded-over window is a great detail. But I kept wondering why the little people who occupy the building would block a window with a wood or coal burning stove. So I decided to relocate the stack. I mounted it on the outside wall about 6 or 7 scale feet from the window.

That's as far as I got with it last night. I still have to put the "tar" around the base of the stack and add the support wires. Then it's on to the chimney.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I also have not followed Brett's instructions exactly with painting almost everything with Foss' Landing, but I have used many of his ideas and suggestions, just not the same colors.

I was looking on the Walthers website today has anyone seen the new JL inovative Design Nautical detail items? http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-457 and http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-456 Depending on your time frame these could be useful.

I plan on starting the launch company this evening.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I also have not followed Brett's instructions exactly with painting almost everything with Foss' Landing, but I have used many of his ideas and suggestions, just not the same colors.

I was looking on the Walthers website today has anyone seen the new JL inovative Design Nautical detail items? http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-457 and http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-456 Depending on your time frame these could be useful.

I plan on starting the launch company this evening.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Those are neat detail parts, Harry. I hadn't seen them before.

I'd have to really stretch my time frame waaaayyyyyy out to use them, though. Oh well....

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Those are neat detail parts, Harry. I hadn't seen them before.

I'd have to really stretch my time frame waaaayyyyyy out to use them, though. Oh well....

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.68 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000