Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  8:49:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

I had a nice box sitting at my door when I came home tonight from Brett. I opened it up and started looking and all I can say is wow. I guess my weekend will be busy just reading the instructions book, which is the stapled one like everyone elses who purchased it recently.

Harry

That's great, Harry!

It's your first Sierra West kit and it's my first laser-cut kit, so we're pretty much on the same page. This is gonna be fun!

Champagne? Did someone say, "Champagne?"

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  8:49:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

I had a nice box sitting at my door when I came home tonight from Brett. I opened it up and started looking and all I can say is wow. I guess my weekend will be busy just reading the instructions book, which is the stapled one like everyone elses who purchased it recently.

Harry

That's great, Harry!

It's your first Sierra West kit and it's my first laser-cut kit, so we're pretty much on the same page. This is gonna be fun!

Champagne? Did someone say, "Champagne?"

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening,

Well, I lost most of all yesterday, last night and today. So its back to finishing painting the resin "wooden" cast tomorrow.

Congradulations Harry, glad your Foss Landing came in.

Mike great staining on your windows. Thanks for the painting tips.

I also use blue WW fluid for airbrushing, never thought about substituting it for brush painting.

All have a good day,

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening,

Well, I lost most of all yesterday, last night and today. So its back to finishing painting the resin "wooden" cast tomorrow.

Congradulations Harry, glad your Foss Landing came in.

Mike great staining on your windows. Thanks for the painting tips.

I also use blue WW fluid for airbrushing, never thought about substituting it for brush painting.

All have a good day,

Jim

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Mornin all, I spent most of last evening reading the book that Brett has written. He packs a lot of details, hints and tips into his manual. It is by far the best manual I have ever seen. I did find the few mistakes that were talked about previously but overall it is great. Today I will start with the castings and preparing them for painting.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Mornin all, I spent most of last evening reading the book that Brett has written. He packs a lot of details, hints and tips into his manual. It is by far the best manual I have ever seen. I did find the few mistakes that were talked about previously but overall it is great. Today I will start with the castings and preparing them for painting.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  07:41:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Yes Harry I agree the instructions from Brett are excellent and very well written.
I hope to finish the base coat on the resin castings today and start on the windows. Thanks Mike for the pictures.
I may also start on the stripwood for the Clam & Oyster Company and possibly weathering the clapboard walls today if I do not get too involved watching the Super Bowl.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  07:41:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Yes Harry I agree the instructions from Brett are excellent and very well written.
I hope to finish the base coat on the resin castings today and start on the windows. Thanks Mike for the pictures.
I may also start on the stripwood for the Clam & Oyster Company and possibly weathering the clapboard walls today if I do not get too involved watching the Super Bowl.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Well, just a quick update on my progress. Last night I got all of the stripwood in "Clam & Oyster" Bag 2 stained. I used the washer fluid/Apple Barrel acrylic mix and a 1/4 flat brush. It took me quite a while to do it by hand, but the results look pretty good.

The next time I have a quantity of stripwood to stain, I'm going to mix several ounces of "wf/AB" stain and try it in a ziplock bag. (Like I normally do with water-based stains.)

I have't decided yet what I'm going to do about the clapboard siding. I can't make up my mind whether to go with the kit directions or go my own way again. One way or the other, I'll get started with the walls this afternoon.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Well, just a quick update on my progress. Last night I got all of the stripwood in "Clam & Oyster" Bag 2 stained. I used the washer fluid/Apple Barrel acrylic mix and a 1/4 flat brush. It took me quite a while to do it by hand, but the results look pretty good.

The next time I have a quantity of stripwood to stain, I'm going to mix several ounces of "wf/AB" stain and try it in a ziplock bag. (Like I normally do with water-based stains.)

I have't decided yet what I'm going to do about the clapboard siding. I can't make up my mind whether to go with the kit directions or go my own way again. One way or the other, I'll get started with the walls this afternoon.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Not being a brave soul or adventurous on the first SW kit, I'm staying close to Brett's manual on painting. Finished applying 6 different color washes of Floquil splotches to the "wood" resin castings. Today comes the windows and doors treatment and the window glazing.

Have a good day,

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Not being a brave soul or adventurous on the first SW kit, I'm staying close to Brett's manual on painting. Finished applying 6 different color washes of Floquil splotches to the "wood" resin castings. Today comes the windows and doors treatment and the window glazing.

Have a good day,

Jim

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
Since the goal with the clapboard is to get the weathered look, I would assume your tool would give you the desired results. Since you have used it before I would go ahead and use it again.
The rest is pretty straight forward.
One other thing I forgot. After the clapboard siding has been removed from the parent piece there is enough left over to use as a test pieces. I will especially use this extra to test painting first to make sure the color is pleasing to my eye. These pieces also give me an idea as to how hard the wood is in order to make the loose end boards, nail holes, and splits and cracks. I have never done warped boards before so I will practice on the extra pieces. Obviously these extra pieces can come in handy if there are any major foul ups during construction.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 01/26/2003 5:35:04 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
Since the goal with the clapboard is to get the weathered look, I would assume your tool would give you the desired results. Since you have used it before I would go ahead and use it again.
The rest is pretty straight forward.
One other thing I forgot. After the clapboard siding has been removed from the parent piece there is enough left over to use as a test pieces. I will especially use this extra to test painting first to make sure the color is pleasing to my eye. These pieces also give me an idea as to how hard the wood is in order to make the loose end boards, nail holes, and splits and cracks. I have never done warped boards before so I will practice on the extra pieces. Obviously these extra pieces can come in handy if there are any major foul ups during construction.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 01/26/2003 5:35:04 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  5:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi
I have been trying all afternoon to enter Brett's web site and I keep getting an error message.
Anyone else able to get in.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000