Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  11:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well I am now back from vacation, so am ready to get back to work on Foss'.

Mike, I also varied from the instructions on my shingles, using different drybrushing colors mainly all Creamcoat & Apple Barrel paints instead of the Floquil paints. I also used a glue stick for attaching them, but I applied it to the roof instead of the back of the shingles.

I just started on the dock, gluing the side pieces.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  11:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well I am now back from vacation, so am ready to get back to work on Foss'.

Mike, I also varied from the instructions on my shingles, using different drybrushing colors mainly all Creamcoat & Apple Barrel paints instead of the Floquil paints. I also used a glue stick for attaching them, but I applied it to the roof instead of the back of the shingles.

I just started on the dock, gluing the side pieces.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  09:41:27 AM  Show Profile
Well, I would have made good progress again last night except for the storms that rolled through here just before 8:00. We had severe thunderstorms with golf-ball sized hail. Of course the power was knocked out for a while, so there wasn't much I could do on the model. I did manage to get the rest of the roofs shingled and the ridgecap cut for both pieces, but that was all sandwiched around the evening's entertainment.

My wife wants to go back to the Lake this afternoon and make a long weekend of it this time, so I won't get back to Foss' until Monday evening. In the meantime, it will be back to the blacksmith car in the worktrain.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  09:41:27 AM  Show Profile
Well, I would have made good progress again last night except for the storms that rolled through here just before 8:00. We had severe thunderstorms with golf-ball sized hail. Of course the power was knocked out for a while, so there wasn't much I could do on the model. I did manage to get the rest of the roofs shingled and the ridgecap cut for both pieces, but that was all sandwiched around the evening's entertainment.

My wife wants to go back to the Lake this afternoon and make a long weekend of it this time, so I won't get back to Foss' until Monday evening. In the meantime, it will be back to the blacksmith car in the worktrain.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  09:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Almost finished shingling the roofs. Should be through by tomorrow noon. I had a hard time estimating the amount of shingles to cut.(Works out to 110 shingles per square inch.) So I've had to wait on the staining to dry for four batches.

I'm using leftover Sapia wood from another kit. It's a softwood, just a little firmer that basal. Scales to a 1x10 and split into two parts. I used the manual's instruction for stressing and weathering the wood, then a soak in india ink/alcohol. I used different percentages to obtain different shades. Then two different shades of gray chalk for additional weathering.

All for Now,

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  09:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Almost finished shingling the roofs. Should be through by tomorrow noon. I had a hard time estimating the amount of shingles to cut.(Works out to 110 shingles per square inch.) So I've had to wait on the staining to dry for four batches.

I'm using leftover Sapia wood from another kit. It's a softwood, just a little firmer that basal. Scales to a 1x10 and split into two parts. I used the manual's instruction for stressing and weathering the wood, then a soak in india ink/alcohol. I used different percentages to obtain different shades. Then two different shades of gray chalk for additional weathering.

All for Now,

Jim

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  09:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Well yesterday I finished gluing the dock together, epoxied the braces, put in the nail details and base coated it. This morning I started painting and weathering in. I have to say I am pleased with the results.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  09:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Well yesterday I finished gluing the dock together, epoxied the braces, put in the nail details and base coated it. This morning I started painting and weathering in. I have to say I am pleased with the results.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

All for Now,

Jim

Jim, if you get a chance, how about taking a photo or two of your shingles. I'd really like to see them. As I posted here earlier, I had planned to do individual shingles but changed my mind at the last minute.

I'll bet the structure looks really nice with real wood shingles.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

All for Now,

Jim

Jim, if you get a chance, how about taking a photo or two of your shingles. I'd really like to see them. As I posted here earlier, I had planned to do individual shingles but changed my mind at the last minute.

I'll bet the structure looks really nice with real wood shingles.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  1:35:00 PM  Show Profile
All,

I have started Foss’ landing. I have cleaned the metal castings, put the toothpick “holders” on & painted the base. I also had some extra boats that I had bought a few years ago. I have prepped & painted them.

I have prepped the resin castings & hope to paint them tonight as well as do any other preliminary work. I plan to join you on the next building.

I would have gotten more done, but Tuesday, UPS brought the SW Sawmill kit & Railroad Camp I had ordered!! I have been in SW heaven the last couple of days looking over the kits & manuals.

The club I am a member of in Nashville is having a Train Show/Div. Meet Saturday. I have a lot to do for & during that. I’m not sure how much modeling I will be able to do for the rest of the week.

Jim,

I too would like to see some photos of your roof. I have been reading about the roof that comes with the kit. Brett seems to like it. I too have been debating on wood shingles when I get that far. Has anyone seen a finished roof as described in the kit? What does everyone suggest & think?

Talk later,
Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  1:35:00 PM  Show Profile
All,

I have started Foss’ landing. I have cleaned the metal castings, put the toothpick “holders” on & painted the base. I also had some extra boats that I had bought a few years ago. I have prepped & painted them.

I have prepped the resin castings & hope to paint them tonight as well as do any other preliminary work. I plan to join you on the next building.

I would have gotten more done, but Tuesday, UPS brought the SW Sawmill kit & Railroad Camp I had ordered!! I have been in SW heaven the last couple of days looking over the kits & manuals.

The club I am a member of in Nashville is having a Train Show/Div. Meet Saturday. I have a lot to do for & during that. I’m not sure how much modeling I will be able to do for the rest of the week.

Jim,

I too would like to see some photos of your roof. I have been reading about the roof that comes with the kit. Brett seems to like it. I too have been debating on wood shingles when I get that far. Has anyone seen a finished roof as described in the kit? What does everyone suggest & think?

Talk later,
Paul

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  1:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
I have been working on Big Lou's the last few days and am about ready to put the building together.
I would like to finish the building before I start another. So I will probably start the Launch Company on Monday.
I like Brett's roofs and they are very easy. I have seen Jim's wood roofs on a snowshed he did this past year and they are also quite nice. If the picture is still somewhere on the forum maybe Jim can post it.
However, I am going to leave Brett's roofs on my model. Harry also has completed his roofs as shown in the instructions.
So you will be able to see which type you will want when you get to that step.

Edit
The photo is in Jim's photo album.
Question: Does this picture show up or am I still doing it wrong.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 03/13/2003 2:12:55 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  1:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
I have been working on Big Lou's the last few days and am about ready to put the building together.
I would like to finish the building before I start another. So I will probably start the Launch Company on Monday.
I like Brett's roofs and they are very easy. I have seen Jim's wood roofs on a snowshed he did this past year and they are also quite nice. If the picture is still somewhere on the forum maybe Jim can post it.
However, I am going to leave Brett's roofs on my model. Harry also has completed his roofs as shown in the instructions.
So you will be able to see which type you will want when you get to that step.

Edit
The photo is in Jim's photo album.
Question: Does this picture show up or am I still doing it wrong.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 03/13/2003 2:12:55 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  2:32:00 PM  Show Profile
John,
Thanks for the photo & info. I went to Jim’s photo album and his modeling is very impressive.

Jim,
I like what you’re doing with your layout. The pics of the west end of your layout is the look I’m after on some modules I am building. You structures & scenery are great.

Paul

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000