Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  07:12:09 AM  Show Profile
I also completed the roofs today. They look great and as John said:

quote:
I will say these were the easiest roofs I have ever done and they look quite realistic.
I used Bretts method for painting the roofs.

They were very easy and look very realistic. I will be ready to glue them on tonight.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:22:23 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get anything done on Foss' last night. Rusty and I have been talking for a few weeks about casting car frames from scratchbuilt "masters." So I spent last evening working on a 26 foot (actually 25.75') flat car frame. After I finish it, I'll mail it to Rusty and he will make the mold and try casting it in white metal. If I can find some NBW's in one of my junk drawers, I'll probably finish it up this afternoon and then get back to Foss' Landing.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:22:23 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get anything done on Foss' last night. Rusty and I have been talking for a few weeks about casting car frames from scratchbuilt "masters." So I spent last evening working on a 26 foot (actually 25.75') flat car frame. After I finish it, I'll mail it to Rusty and he will make the mold and try casting it in white metal. If I can find some NBW's in one of my junk drawers, I'll probably finish it up this afternoon and then get back to Foss' Landing.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Is Rusty going to sell them? I would be interested in a few.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile

Harry

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I might be interested in a few.

Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I might be interested in a few.

Paul

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

I think that may ultimately be the plan, but I'm not positive. He just bought a centrifuge to start spin casting resin and white metal parts. I think his most immediate plan is to practice with a variety of molds until he's got everything down pat.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

I think that may ultimately be the plan, but I'm not positive. He just bought a centrifuge to start spin casting resin and white metal parts. I think his most immediate plan is to practice with a variety of molds until he's got everything down pat.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Harry, Paul, Mike has it right. I want to test this all out before I go to far. Like my construction of my layout I am "doing spin casting my way!"

A commercial spin casting machine is from 1,100 to 20,000 $$$, way too much for me. So I bought a medical centrifuge that I will conver for this purpose ($150) a lot cheaper. Also, I won't be using the vulcanizing molds normally used but RTV molds, again cost of materials and machinery to vulcanize the rubber.

I've got to get this all working properly before I can try and market anything. Kind of like the stumps as I feel I've finally worked the kinks out of that process.

One thing I will be able to do, if it works, is cast the same mold in either resin or white metal which should prove interesting.

Just be glad I didn't take up rocket science as a hobby!

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Harry, Paul, Mike has it right. I want to test this all out before I go to far. Like my construction of my layout I am "doing spin casting my way!"

A commercial spin casting machine is from 1,100 to 20,000 $$$, way too much for me. So I bought a medical centrifuge that I will conver for this purpose ($150) a lot cheaper. Also, I won't be using the vulcanizing molds normally used but RTV molds, again cost of materials and machinery to vulcanize the rubber.

I've got to get this all working properly before I can try and market anything. Kind of like the stumps as I feel I've finally worked the kinks out of that process.

One thing I will be able to do, if it works, is cast the same mold in either resin or white metal which should prove interesting.

Just be glad I didn't take up rocket science as a hobby!

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, last evening I painted the two chimneys and glued the roof on. This morning I just installed the chimneys and the wire "braces" I have to say it is a nice looking model. Next I will have to get back to rebuilding the diorama for it.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, last evening I painted the two chimneys and glued the roof on. This morning I just installed the chimneys and the wire "braces" I have to say it is a nice looking model. Next I will have to get back to rebuilding the diorama for it.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
well I started on the wharf that goes under the Clam & Oyster Co. I still have to finish the small things on the structure, Chimney and guide braces etc.
Harry a while back you said you were doing an order from Model Tech Studios. Did you get the castings and were they OK. I need some nautical ones for my Hamilton Dinghies from Campbell.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
well I started on the wharf that goes under the Clam & Oyster Co. I still have to finish the small things on the structure, Chimney and guide braces etc.
Harry a while back you said you were doing an order from Model Tech Studios. Did you get the castings and were they OK. I need some nautical ones for my Hamilton Dinghies from Campbell.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000