Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  6:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I have finished the landing and the awning. Now it is on to the roof.
Roofs are my least favorite part of any model but at least here I am working with a new type of shingle.
I have not used permanent spray adhesive before as most of my roofs are Campbells with good old spit. Actually water but spit sounded good. Any thoughts on the spray adhesive.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  6:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I have finished the landing and the awning. Now it is on to the roof.
Roofs are my least favorite part of any model but at least here I am working with a new type of shingle.
I have not used permanent spray adhesive before as most of my roofs are Campbells with good old spit. Actually water but spit sounded good. Any thoughts on the spray adhesive.

John Bagley

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  6:42:59 PM  Show Profile
John,

I've had good luck using the 3-M adhesive (which is the suggested adhesive for the roof). I will use white glue for the wooden shingles instead of Brett's paper shingles.

Went home for a day and brought Foss' back and will finish the decals that came in while I was there. Then on to assemblying the walls and the landing and stairs. I may have missed a step as I had already installed a door for the upstairs. I decided to forgo the metal doors and built my own out of stripwood.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  6:42:59 PM  Show Profile
John,

I've had good luck using the 3-M adhesive (which is the suggested adhesive for the roof). I will use white glue for the wooden shingles instead of Brett's paper shingles.

Went home for a day and brought Foss' back and will finish the decals that came in while I was there. Then on to assemblying the walls and the landing and stairs. I may have missed a step as I had already installed a door for the upstairs. I decided to forgo the metal doors and built my own out of stripwood.

Jim

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  11:55:33 PM  Show Profile
A suggestion: use an Elmer's Glue Stick for the paper-type shingles in this kit. It goes quickly, and you won't have the worries/mess that come with adhesive sprays.

I've used glue sticks to attach shingle strips for several years. The glue holds up well.

After cutting the shingle strip free, I put it on a sheet of plain printer paper, run the glue stick over it, and apply it to the roof base. It's that quick and easy.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  11:55:33 PM  Show Profile
A suggestion: use an Elmer's Glue Stick for the paper-type shingles in this kit. It goes quickly, and you won't have the worries/mess that come with adhesive sprays.

I've used glue sticks to attach shingle strips for several years. The glue holds up well.

After cutting the shingle strip free, I put it on a sheet of plain printer paper, run the glue stick over it, and apply it to the roof base. It's that quick and easy.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  10:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Here is something else I do that departs from Brett's suggested methods. Whenever I'm working over a template (the landing and stairs, for example), I prefer to use double-stick scotch tape. The manual calls for "spot gluing" the subassemblies to the waxed paper over the template. I don't like to do that because then you've got little glue blobs to pick off when you're finished. So I use the double-stick tape. It holds the subassemblies in place while the glue is drying, and they come right up with no mess or residue to clean off.

3M makes two kinds of double-stick. One is fairly adhesive and is usually labeld "Permanent" (although it really isn't). The other is less adhesive and is made for use in photo albums. I use this kind when the assemblies are made up of fragile pieces of stripwood because it's easier to get them up when completed. For everything else, I use the 'permanent" variety of tape.

I just thought I would pass this on because the "spot gluing" instruction is a common one in the SW manuals. And I'm too clumsy to safely clean bits of glue off completed assemblies....

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  10:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Here is something else I do that departs from Brett's suggested methods. Whenever I'm working over a template (the landing and stairs, for example), I prefer to use double-stick scotch tape. The manual calls for "spot gluing" the subassemblies to the waxed paper over the template. I don't like to do that because then you've got little glue blobs to pick off when you're finished. So I use the double-stick tape. It holds the subassemblies in place while the glue is drying, and they come right up with no mess or residue to clean off.

3M makes two kinds of double-stick. One is fairly adhesive and is usually labeld "Permanent" (although it really isn't). The other is less adhesive and is made for use in photo albums. I use this kind when the assemblies are made up of fragile pieces of stripwood because it's easier to get them up when completed. For everything else, I use the 'permanent" variety of tape.

I just thought I would pass this on because the "spot gluing" instruction is a common one in the SW manuals. And I'm too clumsy to safely clean bits of glue off completed assemblies....

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  11:13:13 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had seen this before I did the stairs. I had a little problem with damaging my stairway while picking the glue off and had to redo my stairway.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  11:13:13 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had seen this before I did the stairs. I had a little problem with damaging my stairway while picking the glue off and had to redo my stairway.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  11:21:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Sorry, Harry. I could have posted this suggestion earlier, but I didn't think about it until last night when I got to the "spot gluing" step for the landing/porch assembly. When I reached for the double-stick tape, I realized it was something I should pass on as a tip. Like I said, the spot gluing instruction is a common one in the SW manuals, so be on the lookout for it with your other kits.

I first came up with the double-stick tape idea several years ago because "spot gluing" was also a recommended procedure in the Builders In Scale instructions. I learned a hard lesson the first time.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  11:21:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Sorry, Harry. I could have posted this suggestion earlier, but I didn't think about it until last night when I got to the "spot gluing" step for the landing/porch assembly. When I reached for the double-stick tape, I realized it was something I should pass on as a tip. Like I said, the spot gluing instruction is a common one in the SW manuals, so be on the lookout for it with your other kits.

I first came up with the double-stick tape idea several years ago because "spot gluing" was also a recommended procedure in the Builders In Scale instructions. I learned a hard lesson the first time.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  7:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Mike: Thanks for the tip with the double sided tape. I will definitely use it in the future.
For the stairs I built a small jig to hold the stair stringers sandwiched between 2 pieces of stripwood that I glued to the paper. The stripwood holds the stringers vertically and then I applied the steps. When everything was dry I just lifted the completed stairs out of the jig. There was no glue to scrape off anywhere. I have used this method before with great success to make stairs.
I also completed the roofs today. I will say these were the easiest roofs I have ever done and they look quite realistic.
I used Bretts method for painting the roofs.
Well soon I will glue the roofs on and then the structure will be nearing completion.
Yipee

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  7:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Mike: Thanks for the tip with the double sided tape. I will definitely use it in the future.
For the stairs I built a small jig to hold the stair stringers sandwiched between 2 pieces of stripwood that I glued to the paper. The stripwood holds the stringers vertically and then I applied the steps. When everything was dry I just lifted the completed stairs out of the jig. There was no glue to scrape off anywhere. I have used this method before with great success to make stairs.
I also completed the roofs today. I will say these were the easiest roofs I have ever done and they look quite realistic.
Well soon I will glue the roofs on and then the structure will be nearing completion.
Yipee

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  07:12:09 AM  Show Profile
I also completed the roofs today. They look great and as John said:

quote:
I will say these were the easiest roofs I have ever done and they look quite realistic.

They were very easy and look very realistic. I will be ready to glue them on tonight.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000