Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  10:04:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

I guess I am the only one using the Coke sign.

quote:
Originally posted by Harry

I will also be using the coke sign, but didn't want it or the no trespassing sign to acidently get damaged in the gluing operation.

I'm really torn about using the Coke sign and the Coke machine. Historically, neither fit with my period (or geography, for that matter). If I use them, I'll have to do some serious "time shifting" of at least 15 years for the whole layout. Sometimes, though, I think that's not a bad idea. It would allow me to use a whole bunch of detail parts that I can't/shouldn't use otherwise. I think I may have to give the whole issue some serious thought... perhaps revise my time frame....

Or else just look the other way and pretend that everything is chronologically A-OK.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  08:47:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well I spent last evening building the platform for the second floor door and redoing my nail holes on the siding. I also repainted the trim the same white as the windows. The overall effect looks much better. Now I have to work on the stairs.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  08:47:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well I spent last evening building the platform for the second floor door and redoing my nail holes on the siding. I also repainted the trim the same white as the windows. The overall effect looks much better. Now I have to work on the stairs.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  09:27:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm almost at the same place as you, Harry. I got the awning up over the freight door area on the back wall. I added a couple of horizontal side braces from a Kappler scale 2 X 4 and thought about adding 4 X 4 support posts on the front corners but changed my mind.

I got out Template B (for the stairs and landing) and studied it for a few minutes. But that was as far as I got. The whole assembly looks fairly simple, but it will have to wait until Monday evening now. Heading for the Lake later today. (I hear we have lots of snow down there from the last two days.) So I'll be starting on my next work train car this weekend.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  09:27:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm almost at the same place as you, Harry. I got the awning up over the freight door area on the back wall. I added a couple of horizontal side braces from a Kappler scale 2 X 4 and thought about adding 4 X 4 support posts on the front corners but changed my mind.

I got out Template B (for the stairs and landing) and studied it for a few minutes. But that was as far as I got. The whole assembly looks fairly simple, but it will have to wait until Monday evening now. Heading for the Lake later today. (I hear we have lots of snow down there from the last two days.) So I'll be starting on my next work train car this weekend.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I completed the landing and stairway and they are all attached to the structure. I went with the metal door after much trial and error.
I painted only the outside framing with the white and left the door panels natural wood with after seeing Mike's picture. I think it came out OK.
I now have to do the awning as I skipped over this step to do the landing.
I guess it is time to think about constructing the diorama base.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I completed the landing and stairway and they are all attached to the structure. I went with the metal door after much trial and error.
I painted only the outside framing with the white and left the door panels natural wood with after seeing Mike's picture. I think it came out OK.
I now have to do the awning as I skipped over this step to do the landing.
I guess it is time to think about constructing the diorama base.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile
WOW!! I just read this whole thread...how cool that you guys are building the same model and sharing the experience with each other, and the rest of us, on an almost daily basis thru this forum. Another fine example of web based community camraderie!

I also checked out Bretts site and had to wipe the drool off the keyboard!! OhMAN...SOMEday I will have to try a kit like that!!

Anyway..thanks for sharing your experience here, I look forward to watching you finish...how many years will it take?????

Signed...Little Sister is watching too.....LOL

ima tomboygirlforever

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile
WOW!! I just read this whole thread...how cool that you guys are building the same model and sharing the experience with each other, and the rest of us, on an almost daily basis thru this forum. Another fine example of web based community camraderie!

I also checked out Bretts site and had to wipe the drool off the keyboard!! OhMAN...SOMEday I will have to try a kit like that!!

Anyway..thanks for sharing your experience here, I look forward to watching you finish...how many years will it take?????

ima tomboygirlforever

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  2:31:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aartwmich

I look forward to watching you finish...how many years will it take?????

Hey, Ima, I hope it doesn't take years! That time frame is reserved for the Twin Mills Sawmill kit.

Seriously, though, even a kit as relatively simple as this one is can take several weeks or even months.

Some of us are planning to do the "Woodcutter's Shack" as a group project, but that's sometime in the future. You're welcome to join in whenever we get to it. Brett still has the kit available (or did the last time I checked) and VMT still has it also.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  2:31:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aartwmich

I look forward to watching you finish...how many years will it take?????

Hey, Ima, I hope it doesn't take years! That time frame is reserved for the Twin Mills Sawmill kit.

Seriously, though, even a kit as relatively simple as this one is can take several weeks or even months.

Some of us are planning to do the "Woodcutter's Shack" as a group project, but that's sometime in the future. You're welcome to join in whenever we get to it. Brett still has the kit available (or did the last time I checked) and VMT still has it also.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  08:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi guys,

Well I spent the weekend finishing the stairs and the overhang. I still have a little touchup on the stairs and landing, but it is looking great.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  08:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi guys,

Well I spent the weekend finishing the stairs and the overhang. I still have a little touchup on the stairs and landing, but it is looking great.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  09:10:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm still at the Lake. We decided to stay over again last night and make the drive back to the city this morning. So I'll get back to Foss' tonight. I'm ready to begin the porch/landing and stairs.

I'm really looking forward to being able to place this building and the wharf on the diorama base and begin detailing them. But I also need to get off my butt and start preparing the area of the layout where I want to place the diorama when finished. I've not done anymore in that area since I made the preliminary measurements to see if I could squeeze Foss' Landing in.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  09:10:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm still at the Lake. We decided to stay over again last night and make the drive back to the city this morning. So I'll get back to Foss' tonight. I'm ready to begin the porch/landing and stairs.

I'm really looking forward to being able to place this building and the wharf on the diorama base and begin detailing them. But I also need to get off my butt and start preparing the area of the layout where I want to place the diorama when finished. I've not done anymore in that area since I made the preliminary measurements to see if I could squeeze Foss' Landing in.

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000