Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 145 ]  [ Total: 147 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  1:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm doing window treatments and doors today. Then I can start putting the building together. I didn't like the metal doors, so I'm building them out of stripwood.

Mike, if my calculations are correct the size of scale lumber for the shingles is 1x6's and 1x4's. (Gotta get an HO scale caliper). I used a single lap of the siding for scale as a standard width and used scribed lines + 1/32 inch of Brett's roof template for length.

Excuse the picture, I know it's dark and blurry. The camera is nine years old and on it's last leg. (The camera operator is a lot older and on his last leg also).

Download Attachment: shingles.jpg
54.27 KB

Jim

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  2:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well Jim beat me to the topic.
I kept looking at the second floor metal door and no mater how hard I tried it still looked like a metal door rather that a wood door.
So I made a new wooden door. I actually used the left over wood from where the windows were on the peel and stick piece. The door now looks like wood and is similar but not exactly identical to the metal one.
Of course I now need to make another door knob and another set of hinges.
I am not sure if I will redo the other 4 crossbuck doors or not. They so far look OK.
They however are not glued on the structure so time will tell.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  2:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well Jim beat me to the topic.
I kept looking at the second floor metal door and no mater how hard I tried it still looked like a metal door rather that a wood door.
So I made a new wooden door. I actually used the left over wood from where the windows were on the peel and stick piece. The door now looks like wood and is similar but not exactly identical to the metal one.
Of course I now need to make another door knob and another set of hinges.
I am not sure if I will redo the other 4 crossbuck doors or not. They so far look OK.
They however are not glued on the structure so time will tell.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  09:49:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi, guys,

I'm back at my lake home and will be until sometime Monday. So no new construction updates from me for a while.

However... I checked my stripwood supply yesterday before leaving town. I have two or three bags of 1 X 12's but am pretty low on the other sizes. So, if I go ahead with my idea for shingling the roof, I'll have to get an order in to Walthers right away. I don't have the manual with me here and I'm not sure how close I am to doing the roofing. The last thing I did the other evening was finish up the windows (paint the framing, "install" shades, etc.)

I think I may have already mentioned this, but I decided to use the door castings anyway. Once I got them repainted and weathered, they looked pretty good to me.

I noticed that the Shelby's auction is now up to (I think this is correct) $255. I checked it about a half hour ago. I wonder if Phil is still in the bidding. It would be nice to know that an old friend wound up with the kit instead of some guy who is in love with steamshovels.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  09:49:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi, guys,

I'm back at my lake home and will be until sometime Monday. So no new construction updates from me for a while.

However... I checked my stripwood supply yesterday before leaving town. I have two or three bags of 1 X 12's but am pretty low on the other sizes. So, if I go ahead with my idea for shingling the roof, I'll have to get an order in to Walthers right away. I don't have the manual with me here and I'm not sure how close I am to doing the roofing. The last thing I did the other evening was finish up the windows (paint the framing, "install" shades, etc.)

I think I may have already mentioned this, but I decided to use the door castings anyway. Once I got them repainted and weathered, they looked pretty good to me.

I noticed that the Shelby's auction is now up to (I think this is correct) $255. I checked it about a half hour ago. I wonder if Phil is still in the bidding. It would be nice to know that an old friend wound up with the kit instead of some guy who is in love with steamshovels.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Guys,

Finished the upstairs door and it is now installed and trimmed. I used stripwood for the door and the laser cut sticky back wood scraps from the wharf door for trim. Trimmed it with the chopper and it fits perfectly. Window treatments are in and waiting on the Bill of Goods decal. I emailed Brett and will try to redo again.

Mike, even though I am not to the roof, I decided to cut my roof decking and put rafters/joist in and start shingling. I do this between paint/glue drying.

I need to get on the diorama base, but am taking a day trip to Lubbock (2 hours north) to check out supplies (Silifor) for the layout. There is a hobby shop in Lubbock that has been in business for over 50 years. In fact I bought my first Lionel HO rubber band drive engine there in 1957.

Later,

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/22/2003 1:02:01 PM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Guys,

Finished the upstairs door and it is now installed and trimmed. I used stripwood for the door and the laser cut sticky back wood scraps from the wharf door for trim. Trimmed it with the chopper and it fits perfectly. Window treatments are in and waiting on the Bill of Goods decal. I emailed Brett and will try to redo again.

Mike, even though I am not to the roof, I decided to cut my roof decking and put rafters/joist in and start shingling. I do this between paint/glue drying.

I need to get on the diorama base, but am taking a day trip to Lubbock (2 hours north) to check out supplies (Silifor) for the layout. There is a hobby shop in Lubbock that has been in business for over 50 years. In fact I bought my first Lionel HO rubber band drive engine there in 1957.

Later,

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/22/2003 1:02:01 PM

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  3:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Well I spent some of yesterday and this morning putting in the windows and doors. Now I am working on the window treatments.

I also received my Roadroad Camp Friday. I openned the box and WOW, there is a huge number of castings. I then closed the box, put it on the shelf and went back to Foss' Landing. I didn't want to dig into it too much, was afraid I may start that kit at the same time.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  3:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Well I spent some of yesterday and this morning putting in the windows and doors. Now I am working on the window treatments.

I also received my Roadroad Camp Friday. I openned the box and WOW, there is a huge number of castings. I then closed the box, put it on the shelf and went back to Foss' Landing. I didn't want to dig into it too much, was afraid I may start that kit at the same time.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  5:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Harry,

Seems as if we are all close to the same point on Foss'. I.m waiting on another set of decals before puttin' the walls up. Brett is mailing them Monday.

After Foss' is complete, I'll probably start on the Railroad Camp. Its position is the next spot on the layout I can finish with details and scenery. I'm tracking and ordering parts and pieces for it now. There is a truck in the back of RR Camp's manual, not included with the kit. It's a Linn Truck from Rio Grande Models that was kitbashed. If you are interested, I found it at Valley Model Trains.

Later,

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  5:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Harry,

Seems as if we are all close to the same point on Foss'. I.m waiting on another set of decals before puttin' the walls up. Brett is mailing them Monday.

After Foss' is complete, I'll probably start on the Railroad Camp. Its position is the next spot on the layout I can finish with details and scenery. I'm tracking and ordering parts and pieces for it now. There is a truck in the back of RR Camp's manual, not included with the kit. It's a Linn Truck from Rio Grande Models that was kitbashed. If you are interested, I found it at Valley Model Trains.

Later,

Jim

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  8:43:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry
[br

Harry, I agree! A lot of castings in that kit!

But get this: it's nothing compared to the number of castings in the Twin Mills sawmill kit. I honestly believe that will be a 3-year project for me.

Jim, thanks for the info on the Linn truck. I will defintely buy it from VMT when the time comes. Pat is a good guy to do business with! Even Walt is sold on VMT now.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  8:43:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry
[br

Harry, I agree! A lot of castings in that kit!

But get this: it's nothing compared to the number of castings in the Twin Mills sawmill kit. I honestly believe that will be a 3-year project for me.

Jim, thanks for the info on the Linn truck. I will defintely buy it from VMT when the time comes. Pat is a good guy to do business with! Even Walt is sold on VMT now.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  08:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok now let me get this staight Mike,

Foss' Landing 1 year +/-
Railroad Camp 1.5 yrs
Twin Mills 3 yrs
Backwoods Train 1 yr

Heck you are set for over 6 years of modeling. And my wife complains about me.

I finished my window treatments last evening and this morning I started gluing up the walls.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  08:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok now let me get this staight Mike,

Foss' Landing 1 year +/-
Railroad Camp 1.5 yrs
Twin Mills 3 yrs
Backwoods Train 1 yr

Heck you are set for over 6 years of modeling. And my wife complains about me.

I finished my window treatments last evening and this morning I started gluing up the walls.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000