Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  2:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Question on window glazing?
Brett talks of spraying the window glazing with Dull-Coat to give a dirty window look. I have never done this and wondered if anyone else had and was the effect worth it. I guess in my other structures the window washing crew were on their toes and the windows were always clean.
I have used window washing solution many times to clean the brushes but never mixed with paint. I guess the soap in the solution acts like wet water and allows it to flow into all nooks and crannies.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  2:34:41 PM  Show Profile
I use Micro-Glaze from Micro-Mark. I really like the results although it's not for really large windows.

The results are great and if something gets messed up you just peel the first material off and do it again.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  2:34:41 PM  Show Profile
I use Micro-Glaze from Micro-Mark. I really like the results although it's not for really large windows.

The results are great and if something gets messed up you just peel the first material off and do it again.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  2:51:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Brett talks of spraying the window glazing with Dull-Coat to give a dirty window look. I have never done this and wondered if anyone else had and was the effect worth it. I guess in my other structures the window washing crew were on their toes and the windows were always clean.
I have used window washing solution many times to clean the brushes but never mixed with paint. I guess the soap in the solution acts like wet water and allows it to flow into all nooks and crannies.

John, I almost always spray the acetate window material with Dullcoat. It does give the appearance of dirty, dusty windows.

I'm thinking about using the MicroMark glazing stuff this time. Rusty talked me into buying some a couple of months ago, but this is the first time I've had an opportunity to try it.

Also, the washer fluid I'm talking about is the blue stuff made for automobile windshields. As far as I know there's no soap in it. At least there isn't in the brand I bought yesterday.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  2:51:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

John, I almost always spray the acetate window material with Dullcoat. It does give the appearance of dirty, dusty windows.

I'm thinking about using the MicroMark glazing stuff this time. Rusty talked me into buying some a couple of months ago, but this is the first time I've had an opportunity to try it.

Also, the washer fluid I'm talking about is the blue stuff made for automobile windshields. As far as I know there's no soap in it. At least there isn't in the brand I bought yesterday.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  3:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Mike,

Can you share a photo of the results of your stains? I would love to see how it looks.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  3:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Mike,

Can you share a photo of the results of your stains? I would love to see how it looks.

Chuck

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  4:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
Yes the blue stuff I have Super Tech which I buy at Wal-Mart. The label does not list ingredients except to say it contains Methanol which you should not drink. When you shake it you get bubbles which I thought would be some kind of soap. Could very easily be wrong.
Also I second Chucks request for a picture please.
Since I have Dull-Coat I will give it a try.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  4:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
Yes the blue stuff I have Super Tech which I buy at Wal-Mart. The label does not list ingredients except to say it contains Methanol which you should not drink. When you shake it you get bubbles which I thought would be some kind of soap. Could very easily be wrong.
Also I second Chucks request for a picture please.
Since I have Dull-Coat I will give it a try.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile
OK, here's a photo of the results. I had late afternoon sunlight coming in through the window, so there's a few shadows around the mullions on the model windows. And the colors are not quite as accurate in the photo as they should be, but you'll get a good idea of the results.

The important thing to recognize here is that wood can be stained any color or degree of color by adjusting the stain. Like I said earlier today, I knew some guys were using the washer fluid to thin acrylics for airbrushing. But this is the first time I've tried it to make a wood stain.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile
OK, here's a photo of the results. I had late afternoon sunlight coming in through the window, so there's a few shadows around the mullions on the model windows. And the colors are not quite as accurate in the photo as they should be, but you'll get a good idea of the results.

The important thing to recognize here is that wood can be stained any color or degree of color by adjusting the stain. Like I said earlier today, I knew some guys were using the washer fluid to thin acrylics for airbrushing. But this is the first time I've tried it to make a wood stain.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  6:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Good lookin' job Mike.

I had a nice box sitting at my door when I came home tonight from Brett. I opened it up and started looking and all I can say is wow. I guess my weekend will be busy just reading the instructions book, which is the stapled one like everyone elses who purchased it recently.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  6:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Good lookin' job Mike.

I had a nice box sitting at my door when I came home tonight from Brett. I opened it up and started looking and all I can say is wow. I guess my weekend will be busy just reading the instructions book, which is the stapled one like everyone elses who purchased it recently.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  7:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Harry
Well after the initial WOW wears off and you get a chance to inventory everything and read the instructions a few times, then the real fun can begin.
Yes actually making something out of all those small parts found in "The Box".
Again congrats are in order, break out the champagne.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  7:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Harry
Well after the initial WOW wears off and you get a chance to inventory everything and read the instructions a few times, then the real fun can begin.
Yes actually making something out of all those small parts found in "The Box".
Again congrats are in order, break out the champagne.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000