Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 137 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Jim you are correct that is Phil bidding on Shelby's. I see they are on eBay a lot based on the number of feedbacks they have.
I am taking a break on Foss'.
I have started Big Lou's with I purchased a few weeks ago. Just need a couple of days to refocus on Foss'.
Mike I think one model at home and another at the lake is a good idea.
I am now near starting the roof which is my least favorite part of structure building. Good luck Jim with your shingles. I saw them on your snow shed I think and they looked great.
I posted this question last week but you may have missed it
Question on the wharf door. Did any of you put hinges and a doorknob on the door. The picture in the instructions shows these.

I was just curious how anyone treated these details.
Well it is off to Big Lou's for a hot dog and a coke.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Jim you are correct that is Phil bidding on Shelby's. I see they are on eBay a lot based on the number of feedbacks they have.
I am taking a break on Foss'.
I have started Big Lou's with I purchased a few weeks ago. Just need a couple of days to refocus on Foss'.
Mike I think one model at home and another at the lake is a good idea.
I am now near starting the roof which is my least favorite part of structure building. Good luck Jim with your shingles. I saw them on your snow shed I think and they looked great.
I posted this question last week but you may have missed it
Question on the wharf door. Did any of you put hinges and a doorknob on the door. The picture in the instructions shows these.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  5:25:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

John, I saw your question last week. I didn't respond because I hadn't gotten that far and wasn't sure what you were referring to. I'm probably getting closer to that point now, because I'm close to assembling the walls.

I did detail the hinges and door knobs on the metal freight doors. I used Humbrol Metal Gray (it's buffable) and then touched them lightly with Humbrol Brass.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  5:25:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

John, I saw your question last week. I didn't respond because I hadn't gotten that far and wasn't sure what you were referring to. I'm probably getting closer to that point now, because I'm close to assembling the walls.

I did detail the hinges and door knobs on the metal freight doors. I used Humbrol Metal Gray (it's buffable) and then touched them lightly with Humbrol Brass.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  5:41:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi
The wharf door is the laser cut door below the Foss sign that I messed up.
In the instructions it shows pictures where it looks like hinges and a door knob were added. I was wondering how anyone would do this.
I have used a small piece of a Campbell roof shingle for the hinges and a dab of paint for the knob. I read somewhere where a pin head would work but I am not sure.
For Jim, Harry and myself the photo is on page 18. For Mike the photo should be in the area of "Install the Second Floor and Wharf Doors"
I agree on the metal doors. Not easy to make them look like wood. I almost went the route of scratch building my own.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  5:41:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi
The wharf door is the laser cut door below the Foss sign that I messed up.
In the instructions it shows pictures where it looks like hinges and a door knob were added. I was wondering how anyone would do this.
I have used a small piece of a Campbell roof shingle for the hinges and a dab of paint for the knob. I read somewhere where a pin head would work but I am not sure.
For Jim, Harry and myself the photo is on page 18. For Mike the photo should be in the area of "Install the Second Floor and Wharf Doors"
I agree on the metal doors. Not easy to make them look like wood. I almost went the route of scratch building my own.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  9:54:37 PM  Show Profile
John, you've got a good eye for detail.

I just got to the instructions for the "Second Floor and Wharf Doors," and saw the photo showing the hinges and door knob.

I have Sculpey left from an aborted project. I think I'll mold a couple of hinges and a knob for that door and then paint them. The hinges I could have lived without, but no knob....? don't think so. But if I'm going to do one, I might as well do the rest. Given my skills, it will take only about 10 seconds. (And that's not braggin'. It's complainin' )

But, hey! I'm still having fun with this kit!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  9:54:37 PM  Show Profile
John, you've got a good eye for detail.

I just got to the instructions for the "Second Floor and Wharf Doors," and saw the photo showing the hinges and door knob.

I have Sculpey left from an aborted project. I think I'll mold a couple of hinges and a knob for that door and then paint them. The hinges I could have lived without, but no knob....? don't think so. But if I'm going to do one, I might as well do the rest. Given my skills, it will take only about 10 seconds. (And that's not braggin'. It's complainin' )

But, hey! I'm still having fun with this kit!

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  11:26:32 PM  Show Profile
John,

Thanks for catching the hinges and door knob. I used a brass nail (pin) from a ship kit for the door knob. Works. As far as hinges, I can live without them until my next order from Walthers.

I'm finishing the last batch of shingles in a different percentage solution of the ole standby wash. Word of caution, when you have cut a large pile of very small shingles, don't sneeze. Had a confetti shower there.

"Given my skills, it will take only about 10 seconds."

Mike, you can't get by here making statements like that, we've seen your work and know your skills.

jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  11:26:32 PM  Show Profile
John,

Thanks for catching the hinges and door knob. I used a brass nail (pin) from a ship kit for the door knob. Works. As far as hinges, I can live without them until my next order from Walthers.

I'm finishing the last batch of shingles in a different percentage solution of the ole standby wash. Word of caution, when you have cut a large pile of very small shingles, don't sneeze. Had a confetti shower there.

"Given my skills, it will take only about 10 seconds."

Mike, you can't get by here making statements like that, we've seen your work and know your skills.

jim

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I think I will use a pin for the knob, noty sure about the hinges yet.

I finished painting my doors last evening, also glued on the trim and then this morning did the dry transfer on the side of the building. I got a little carried away with the wire brush and weathered it a bit more than I would have liked, but it looks great.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I think I will use a pin for the knob, noty sure about the hinges yet.

I finished painting my doors last evening, also glued on the trim and then this morning did the dry transfer on the side of the building. I got a little carried away with the wire brush and weathered it a bit more than I would have liked, but it looks great.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  10:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, I see the Shelby's auction is up to $240 with 4+ days yet to go. I wonder if it's starting to top out or if people are just holding back and biding their time...

---------------------

Well, I got all of the windows installed last night and started to install the door. But I kept looking at the window frames and mullions (all of which were weathered white like the siding) and decided they were too plain. Since I used Armor Dark Green for the trim color, I decided I'd better carry it over to the windows and door frames. So I spent the rest of the evening painting and weathering those. Now it all looks like it should.

Jim: I'm thinking about making stripwood shingles also. If I do, I'll probably use scale 1 X 12, 1 X 10, and 1 X 8 or 6 in a random mixture. What are you using?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  10:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, I see the Shelby's auction is up to $240 with 4+ days yet to go. I wonder if it's starting to top out or if people are just holding back and biding their time...

---------------------

Well, I got all of the windows installed last night and started to install the door. But I kept looking at the window frames and mullions (all of which were weathered white like the siding) and decided they were too plain. Since I used Armor Dark Green for the trim color, I decided I'd better carry it over to the windows and door frames. So I spent the rest of the evening painting and weathering those. Now it all looks like it should.

Jim: I'm thinking about making stripwood shingles also. If I do, I'll probably use scale 1 X 12, 1 X 10, and 1 X 8 or 6 in a random mixture. What are you using?

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  1:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm doing window treatments and doors today. Then I can start putting the building together. I didn't like the metal doors, so I'm building them out of stripwood.

Mike, if my calculations are correct the size of scale lumber for the shingles is 1x6's and 1x4's. (Gotta get an HO scale caliper). I used a single lap of the siding for scale as a standard width and used scribed lines + 1/32 inch of Brett's roof template for length.

Excuse the picture, I know it's dark and blurry. The camera is nine years old and on it's last leg. (The camera operator is a lot older and on his last leg also).

Download Attachment: shingles.jpg
54.27 KB

Jim

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000