Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi all
Shelby's Marine Service was mentioned a couple of pages ago. There is now one up for bid on eBay. This was recently listed so do not let the current price fool you. This kit will sell for much more.
If you bought it from Brett in 1998 it would have cost you $230.
This kit shares the same structure that we are currently building.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11646&item=3116330596&rd=1

I wonder if the seller knows what he has there! I noticed the opening price was just $9.95! I have no doubt it will go for far more than the current bid of $81.

I also noticed the box is still sealed in shrinkwrap.

I would probably register and bid, but I'm pretty sure I can't afford to shell out what this will probably wind up selling for.

Prediction: winning bid will be at least $350.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got my door castings redone last night, and I can live with them now. I almost brought some stripwood up from the basement and scratchbuilt new doors. But I weighed the time it would take me to do that as opposed to redoing the paint/weathering on the castings. So I went with the second option.

I got a start on the corner trim for the walls.

Jim, I agree with you: nothing looks so much like real wood as real wood!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got my door castings redone last night, and I can live with them now. I almost brought some stripwood up from the basement and scratchbuilt new doors. But I weighed the time it would take me to do that as opposed to redoing the paint/weathering on the castings. So I went with the second option.

I got a start on the corner trim for the walls.

Jim, I agree with you: nothing looks so much like real wood as real wood!

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Slow going... I'm still tied up on the lettering of the Bill of Goods sign. The black chartpak letters are way too shiny and I'm experimenting with paints to tone them down.

John. Bad..Bad..Bad. You didn't have to post up the ebay link to Shelby's Marine. I spent an hour just removing the drool from my keyboard. With it only being up for 12 hours and five bidders (nibblers), I believe Mike is conservative on this predicted bid. I expect it to go for much, much more, $600 to $700 range. Put it in my favorites and will keep close tabs.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Slow going... I'm still tied up on the lettering of the Bill of Goods sign. The black chartpak letters are way too shiny and I'm experimenting with paints to tone them down.

John. Bad..Bad..Bad. You didn't have to post up the ebay link to Shelby's Marine. I spent an hour just removing the drool from my keyboard. With it only being up for 12 hours and five bidders (nibblers), I believe Mike is conservative on this predicted bid. I expect it to go for much, much more, $600 to $700 range. Put it in my favorites and will keep close tabs.

Jim

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  5:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Jim, I think you're probably closer to being right than I am at this point. Two new bids have been entered since this morning, and the high bid is already up to $190. YIKES!

Well, I had a little trouble motoring around today thanks to a bum knee, so I spent the afternoon working on Foss'. I now have the "bill of goods" dry transfer applied and a few of the signs. I'm about ready to start installing windows and then assemble the walls.

The basic color scheme I went with is faded Polly "Dirty White" for the clapboard and faded/peeling Polly Armor Dark Green for the doors and corner trim boards. It actually looks nicer than I thought it would. I think it's shaping up to be a good looking structure - in spite of my earlier "miscues."

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  5:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Jim, I think you're probably closer to being right than I am at this point. Two new bids have been entered since this morning, and the high bid is already up to $190. YIKES!

Well, I had a little trouble motoring around today thanks to a bum knee, so I spent the afternoon working on Foss'. I now have the "bill of goods" dry transfer applied and a few of the signs. I'm about ready to start installing windows and then assemble the walls.

The basic color scheme I went with is faded Polly "Dirty White" for the clapboard and faded/peeling Polly Armor Dark Green for the doors and corner trim boards. It actually looks nicer than I thought it would. I think it's shaping up to be a good looking structure - in spite of my earlier "miscues."

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  08:27:56 AM  Show Profile
Well I spent last evening putting the windows together and painting the doors. The windows were relatively easy and look great.

The doors are another story, I also am not thrilled with metal castings and painting them to look like wood. I worked on using a dry brush method and think they will turn out nice when I'm done, but not yet.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  08:27:56 AM  Show Profile
Well I spent last evening putting the windows together and painting the doors. The windows were relatively easy and look great.

The doors are another story, I also am not thrilled with metal castings and painting them to look like wood. I worked on using a dry brush method and think they will turn out nice when I'm done, but not yet.

Harry

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Fellas, That Shelby Marine auction on eBay is up to $231 the last I looked. I'm not surprised as I sold my HOn3 Backwoods train for $380 with the Kadee trucks included ($55). I thought that was high as it only cost $260 and I replaced it for $231 for the standard kit. Go figure!

It's as bad as the three auctions for "scratch build" bridges I was watching. They went for an average of $200 each. They weren't even some limited edition kit and they were also "used!"

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Fellas, That Shelby Marine auction on eBay is up to $231 the last I looked. I'm not surprised as I sold my HOn3 Backwoods train for $380 with the Kadee trucks included ($55). I thought that was high as it only cost $260 and I replaced it for $231 for the standard kit. Go figure!

It's as bad as the three auctions for "scratch build" bridges I was watching. They went for an average of $200 each. They weren't even some limited edition kit and they were also "used!"

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile
I just checked on the Shelby's auction. It's still at $231. I was surprised. I figured it would be up around $300 by now. Like I said earlier, I'd love to have that kit, but there's no way I can afford it right now. Between a daughter getting married in a few months and the stock market being way, way off....

Well, I got most of the lower sashes installed on the windows last night. Once again, I just did minimal damage to the panes. A couple of broken windows on the back walls and that was it.

I don't know how much time I'll spend working on it today. My "bum" knee is somewhat better this morning, but I have some errands to take care of. So my time will be limited today. And then we're leaving for the Lake sometime tomorrow.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile
I just checked on the Shelby's auction. It's still at $231. I was surprised. I figured it would be up around $300 by now. Like I said earlier, I'd love to have that kit, but there's no way I can afford it right now. Between a daughter getting married in a few months and the stock market being way, way off....

Well, I got most of the lower sashes installed on the windows last night. Once again, I just did minimal damage to the panes. A couple of broken windows on the back walls and that was it.

I don't know how much time I'll spend working on it today. My "bum" knee is somewhat better this morning, but I have some errands to take care of. So my time will be limited today. And then we're leaving for the Lake sometime tomorrow.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Morning All,

Mixed day yesterday. Some good, some bad.

Bad: Slow going on the Bill of Goods lettering. I've used the dry transfer Chartpak letters BC (before computers) to make subsurface maps. Works okay on velum paper but doesn't work well with wood. Partially satisfied with the white wash to take the shine off. Looking for another plan.

Good: Decided to go with wooden stripwood shingles. Have most of them cut to scale and am weathering them in the alcohol/india ink.

Good: Home Depot decided to carry 1/2 inch pink Owens Corning foam. They are the first supplier within 200 miles to carry it. I stocked up. So I can move on to the diorama and add-on.

I have also been watching Shelby's. At $231, did you notice who the high bidder is, Gsalty, Isn't that Phil's (NYC) wife?. Careful Phil there's a sniper in there.

Mike, hope your bum knee gets better.

Have a good day,

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/20/2003 12:26:10 PM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Morning All,

Mixed day yesterday. Some good, some bad.

Bad: Slow going on the Bill of Goods lettering. I've used the dry transfer Chartpak letters BC (before computers) to make subsurface maps. Works okay on velum paper but doesn't work well with wood. Partially satisfied with the white wash to take the shine off. Looking for another plan.

Good: Decided to go with wooden stripwood shingles. Have most of them cut to scale and am weathering them in the alcohol/india ink.

Good: Home Depot decided to carry 1/2 inch pink Owens Corning foam. They are the first supplier within 200 miles to carry it. I stocked up. So I can move on to the diorama and add-on.

I have also been watching Shelby's. At $231, did you notice who the high bidder is, Gsalty, Isn't that Phil's (NYC) wife?. Careful Phil there's a sniper in there.

Mike, hope your bum knee gets better.

Have a good day,

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/20/2003 12:26:10 PM

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000