Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  12:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Mike, the wall looks "marvolus!" I mean it. Fantastic job.

Everytime I think I've improved my modeling abilities you go and raise the bar!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
From Mike

I had quite a surprise last night when I started back to work on the Clam & Oyster structure. I discovered there was no adhesive on the mylar/acetate windows. I sprayed the front side with Dullcote last week. The paper backing was still attached, but when I peeled it away from the first pane, there was no "sticky." And the same with the second and third panes.

Actually Mike the adhesive is on the back of the inside frame windows. You peel off the white paper that is on the unpainted side. These are basically the same windows that are in the AMB kits I have and the acetate windows are still attached to the frame with no sign of falling off after 2 years. I just position the window glass over the frame and then turn it over and apply pressure to get a good bond. I have as yet never used glue to attach the acetate to the frames.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
From Mike

I had quite a surprise last night when I started back to work on the Clam & Oyster structure. I discovered there was no adhesive on the mylar/acetate windows. I sprayed the front side with Dullcote last week. The paper backing was still attached, but when I peeled it away from the first pane, there was no "sticky." And the same with the second and third panes.

Actually Mike the adhesive is on the back of the inside frame windows. You peel off the white paper that is on the unpainted side. These are basically the same windows that are in the AMB kits I have and the acetate windows are still attached to the frame with no sign of falling off after 2 years. I just position the window glass over the frame and then turn it over and apply pressure to get a good bond. I have as yet never used glue to attach the acetate to the frames.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  2:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
To follow up on the above answer:
The lower sashes have to be glued to the inside of the upper window frame especially if you have them in the open position as they are not in the same plane as the upper sash.
Then install the entire frame in the laser cut siding.
Then the outside frames are placed on the window opening from the outside after peeling off the white paper to reveal the sticky side.
Then push the frame on the siding and the window frame.
Again from past experience they will stick to the wood without glue.
In the AMB kits which have been around for 10 years they claim their windows are still attached without glue.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  2:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
To follow up on the above answer:
The lower sashes have to be glued to the inside of the upper window frame especially if you have them in the open position as they are not in the same plane as the upper sash.
Then install the entire frame in the laser cut siding.
Then the outside frames are placed on the window opening from the outside after peeling off the white paper to reveal the sticky side.
Then push the frame on the siding and the window frame.
Again from past experience they will stick to the wood without glue.
In the AMB kits which have been around for 10 years they claim their windows are still attached without glue.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  4:26:11 PM  Show Profile

Well, John, you caught me.

I misread the first sentence of Step 5 last night. But there was no serious damage done. I had ACC'd only one edge of the window pane to the frame on each frame anyway. I knew something couldn't be right with the procedure, so I didn't want to make anything permanent until I knew for sure. And I stopped after the third one.

Then I discovered this afternoon that I had misread that one sentence - as you had already noticed. So I'm all sort of somewhat straightened out again... Thanks.

think i'll go back to carving stones....

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  4:26:11 PM  Show Profile

Well, John, you caught me.

I misread the first sentence of Step 5 last night. But there was no serious damage done. I had ACC'd only one edge of the window pane to the frame on each frame anyway. I knew something couldn't be right with the procedure, so I didn't want to make anything permanent until I knew for sure. And I stopped after the third one.

Then I discovered this afternoon that I had misread that one sentence - as you had already noticed. So I'm all sort of somewhat straightened out again... Thanks.

think i'll go back to carving stones....

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  10:43:17 AM  Show Profile
OK, the window problem is all straightened out, and I've started on the Foss' Landing sign.

How much window "damage" did you guys do? I "broke" a couple of panes and left a glass "shard" in one frame, but mostly I left the panes intact. I didn't want to go overboard with "damage."

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  10:43:17 AM  Show Profile
OK, the window problem is all straightened out, and I've started on the Foss' Landing sign.

How much window "damage" did you guys do? I "broke" a couple of panes and left a glass "shard" in one frame, but mostly I left the panes intact. I didn't want to go overboard with "damage."

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  11:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Actually all of my windows are intact.
Since I am modeling Alaska in the early spring and this is an active business I figured that none of the windows would be left broken for long with the cold weather.
I did open a few so as to let the fresh spring air in to get out the musty stale smoke filled air.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  11:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Actually all of my windows are intact.
Since I am modeling Alaska in the early spring and this is an active business I figured that none of the windows would be left broken for long with the cold weather.
I did open a few so as to let the fresh spring air in to get out the musty stale smoke filled air.

John Bagley

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Well, I had to try most of Brett's methods. Left five windows intact, but spider webbed one, a couple of bullet holes, a couple of shards, a crack and a missing pane. I had weathered one wall more than the others as it is exposed to sun and SW winds and weather. That is the side with the most damage to windows. I will use stripwood to cover the upper window used for the stove pipe.

I'm getting close to the roof. I may deviate and go with stripwood wooden shingles instead of the paper shingles with the kits. If I do this will take some time.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Well, I had to try most of Brett's methods. Left five windows intact, but spider webbed one, a couple of bullet holes, a couple of shards, a crack and a missing pane. I had weathered one wall more than the others as it is exposed to sun and SW winds and weather. That is the side with the most damage to windows. I will use stripwood to cover the upper window used for the stove pipe.

I'm getting close to the roof. I may deviate and go with stripwood wooden shingles instead of the paper shingles with the kits. If I do this will take some time.

Jim

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  10:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi All
Well a very productive day today. What with the snow work was cancelled so I had plenty of time to model. Took a break every once in a while to shovel snow so that I could get out of my door.
Windows and doors are done and installed.
Completed the window treatments with shades and curtains.
Used scrap wood to prop open 2 windows.
Hung the Clam & Oyster sign which came out great this second time. All decals and signs installed to the walls. Really like the Coke sign.
So I guess tomorrow I will assemble the walls so that I actually have a building. Can not wait. Incredible amount of detail on this structure to date.
Have a great night.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2003 :  10:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi All
Well a very productive day today. What with the snow work was cancelled so I had plenty of time to model. Took a break every once in a while to shovel snow so that I could get out of my door.
Windows and doors are done and installed.
Completed the window treatments with shades and curtains.
Used scrap wood to prop open 2 windows.
Hung the Clam & Oyster sign which came out great this second time. All decals and signs installed to the walls. Really like the Coke sign.
So I guess tomorrow I will assemble the walls so that I actually have a building. Can not wait. Incredible amount of detail on this structure to date.
Have a great night.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000