Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  09:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well I painted step 3 in my 4 part painting proccess last evening, now I just have to wait a day or so for it to dry and then finish with step 4. I also painted my windows last evening, I think they came out great.

I will be gone for the next few days for a Wedding, so I probably will not work on Foss' Landing again until Monday or Tuesday after we get back.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  07:49:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I solved my window problem. If you go to Bretts web site and then click on Craftsmen Kits this will take you to small pictures of all the kits that he has produced. Then click on the picture of Shelby's Marine Service Kit. #103
This will take you to a page which describes the kit. Scroll down the page until on the bottom right you see "Photo Album". Click here and the first picture that you see is of a structure that is identical to the "Clam & Oyster Company. You can see the window with both the Ledge and Header installed. There are also other great pictures here in the photo album.
I remember that in the advertisement for Foss' Landing it was stated that this structure was similar but with a name change.
I have installed the Ledges but I am not sure if I will install the Headers. They are peel and stick so that they could be added at any time.
Well it is off to finish the doors and signs on the side of the building and then put the building together.
Have a great day everyone.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  07:49:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I solved my window problem. If you go to Bretts web site and then click on Craftsmen Kits this will take you to small pictures of all the kits that he has produced. Then click on the picture of Shelby's Marine Service Kit. #103
This will take you to a page which describes the kit. Scroll down the page until on the bottom right you see "Photo Album". Click here and the first picture that you see is of a structure that is identical to the "Clam & Oyster Company. You can see the window with both the Ledge and Header installed. There are also other great pictures here in the photo album.
I remember that in the advertisement for Foss' Landing it was stated that this structure was similar but with a name change.
I have installed the Ledges but I am not sure if I will install the Headers. They are peel and stick so that they could be added at any time.
Well it is off to finish the doors and signs on the side of the building and then put the building together.
Have a great day everyone.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  09:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey, John, thanks for the heads-up on the headers. (Pun intended, I suppose ) I had completely forgotten about the Clam & Oyster's shared heritage. I'll go over to the SW site later and take a look at the Shelby's photos. As I said a few days ago, that's one of my favorite SW kits anyway (even if just looking at pictures of it is as close as I'll probably ever get to it.)

We will be going back to the city tomorrow after lunch, so I'll probably be back to carving stones in the retaining wall tomorrow evening. Once I have finished that, I'll go back to working on the Clam & Oyster building.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  09:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey, John, thanks for the heads-up on the headers. (Pun intended, I suppose ) I had completely forgotten about the Clam & Oyster's shared heritage. I'll go over to the SW site later and take a look at the Shelby's photos. As I said a few days ago, that's one of my favorite SW kits anyway (even if just looking at pictures of it is as close as I'll probably ever get to it.)

We will be going back to the city tomorrow after lunch, so I'll probably be back to carving stones in the retaining wall tomorrow evening. Once I have finished that, I'll go back to working on the Clam & Oyster building.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
I received my new transfer decals from Brett yesterday.
Thanks again Brett if you are watching. Great service from a great company.
I made a new sign last night and will proceed to apply the transfer today without and screw up on my part.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
I received my new transfer decals from Brett yesterday.
Thanks again Brett if you are watching. Great service from a great company.
I made a new sign last night and will proceed to apply the transfer today without and screw up on my part.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  1:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Modeling the prototype (or something along those lines... )

Here is a photo of the dark high water line I mentioned a couple of days back. I'm going to try to stain the wall in the same way after I finish carving and coloring the stones. I don't know how visible it will actually be in the finished diorama after the Clam & Oyster Co. building is put in place. But I feel that I should make an attempt to depict the notion of varying river stages.

(As you can see in the photo, the lake is about 5' below full right now. That's pretty typical for this time of year. AmerenUE will probably drop it another foot or two before the end of March. Between the spring rains and the Corps of Engineers releasing impounded water from Truman Lake, our lake will be back to full pool by May.)

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  1:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Modeling the prototype (or something along those lines... )

Here is a photo of the dark high water line I mentioned a couple of days back. I'm going to try to stain the wall in the same way after I finish carving and coloring the stones. I don't know how visible it will actually be in the finished diorama after the Clam & Oyster Co. building is put in place. But I feel that I should make an attempt to depict the notion of varying river stages.

(As you can see in the photo, the lake is about 5' below full right now. That's pretty typical for this time of year. AmerenUE will probably drop it another foot or two before the end of March. Between the spring rains and the Corps of Engineers releasing impounded water from Truman Lake, our lake will be back to full pool by May.)

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  8:47:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I finished my windows. After much debate with myself I decided to apply the Headers as well as the Ledges on each window. So my windows look very similar to the picture on Brett's home page of Shelby's. I figured if I did not apply them they would get lost and if I decide against them at any point, being that they are peel and stick they could be easily removed.
I am very close to raising the 4 walls on my structure.
On the waterline I am placing my kit on a river but this river is some 600 feet across in real life so one side is all pilings with about one half mile of wharf. The river is highest in the spring and since I am modeling the early spring I will have to figure on some sort of water line to use.
Well it is off to make some curtains and shades.
Have a great weekend.
Jim any news on the new grandchild? Also glad you liked the kit.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  8:47:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I finished my windows. After much debate with myself I decided to apply the Headers as well as the Ledges on each window. So my windows look very similar to the picture on Brett's home page of Shelby's. I figured if I did not apply them they would get lost and if I decide against them at any point, being that they are peel and stick they could be easily removed.
I am very close to raising the 4 walls on my structure.
On the waterline I am placing my kit on a river but this river is some 600 feet across in real life so one side is all pilings with about one half mile of wharf. The river is highest in the spring and since I am modeling the early spring I will have to figure on some sort of water line to use.
Well it is off to make some curtains and shades.
Have a great weekend.
Jim any news on the new grandchild? Also glad you liked the kit.

John Bagley

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  12:02:27 AM  Show Profile
John,

Thanks for the link to the header's on Brett's website. I'll probably work on the windows the first of the week. I found the dry transfer letters/decals today at a print/reproduction shop. Heck of a deal. Since computers came along, sales on the Chartpak lettering has been non-existant. The manager almost insisted I take them for a pittance. I was able to match the white bill of goods sign with black letters and will see over the weekend how straight I can put them on.

On the waterline, I've been reviewing the articles in Dave Frary's books on scenery. Somewhere is a "how to" on modeling watermarks or waterlines. When I find it I'll post it up.

The granddaughter isn't here yet, but is awful close. I'm sticking "grandma" on a plane Monday for St Louis. So next week is bachelor week for me. Should get some work done on the extension to the layout for Foss' Landing. Thanks for asking about the baby.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/15/2003 12:06:39 AM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  12:02:27 AM  Show Profile
John,

Thanks for the link to the header's on Brett's website. I'll probably work on the windows the first of the week. I found the dry transfer letters/decals today at a print/reproduction shop. Heck of a deal. Since computers came along, sales on the Chartpak lettering has been non-existant. The manager almost insisted I take them for a pittance. I was able to match the white bill of goods sign with black letters and will see over the weekend how straight I can put them on.

On the waterline, I've been reviewing the articles in Dave Frary's books on scenery. Somewhere is a "how to" on modeling watermarks or waterlines. When I find it I'll post it up.

The granddaughter isn't here yet, but is awful close. I'm sticking "grandma" on a plane Monday for St Louis. So next week is bachelor week for me. Should get some work done on the extension to the layout for Foss' Landing. Thanks for asking about the baby.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/15/2003 12:06:39 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey, guys, I finally got the "stone carving" finished, as you can see in the photos below. I'm happy with the way it all turned out. The next step - which I plan to begin a little later this afternoon - will be to color all of it. I'm going to use Woodland Scenics scenery pigments and stain each rock individually. I did the same thing with a South River kit about 3 years ago, and it turned out really nice.

Once I have the rockwork colored, I'll get back to structure assembly.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey, guys, I finally got the "stone carving" finished, as you can see in the photos below. I'm happy with the way it all turned out. The next step - which I plan to begin a little later this afternoon - will be to color all of it. I'm going to use Woodland Scenics scenery pigments and stain each rock individually. I did the same thing with a South River kit about 3 years ago, and it turned out really nice.

Once I have the rockwork colored, I'll get back to structure assembly.

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000