Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Brett's two new structures sound very interesting. I also collect lighthouses and have a whole livingroom full of them to prove it. I spend some of last evening after bowling, figuring out the size and shape of the reconstructed area on my layout. I think it will end up being 30" X 24" and should have enough room for all of the existing structures plus the two new ones and and few more down the road.

Mike your wall looks great. I am poundering the possibility of a pile wall, although concrete would also work for me.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Brett's two new structures sound very interesting. I also collect lighthouses and have a whole livingroom full of them to prove it. I spend some of last evening after bowling, figuring out the size and shape of the reconstructed area on my layout. I think it will end up being 30" X 24" and should have enough room for all of the existing structures plus the two new ones and and few more down the road.

Mike your wall looks great. I am poundering the possibility of a pile wall, although concrete would also work for me.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  10:22:27 AM  Show Profile
I guess I'm going to have to go visit the SW site. I take it from what you all are discussing that Brett has announced a couple of specific kits.

I'm not sure I can use a light house in the Ozarks. For many years one stood out on a point at the 1 mile marker on the Lake of the Ozarks, but it was mostly to attract boaters to a shoreline restaurant/nightclub. But I'm modeling an era prior to the construction of Bagnell Dam (in 1929) and the formation of the Lake. So....

Well, I spent the evening carving rock work in the seawall. It looks really good, but it's very time consuming. I have a long way to go before it and the retaining wall will be ready for staining.

In the meantime, I'm headed back to the Lake later this morning for a few days, so I won't be working on Foss' until I get back on Friday. But I will be working on the next car in the work train

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  10:22:27 AM  Show Profile
I guess I'm going to have to go visit the SW site. I take it from what you all are discussing that Brett has announced a couple of specific kits.

I'm not sure I can use a light house in the Ozarks. For many years one stood out on a point at the 1 mile marker on the Lake of the Ozarks, but it was mostly to attract boaters to a shoreline restaurant/nightclub. But I'm modeling an era prior to the construction of Bagnell Dam (in 1929) and the formation of the Lake. So....

Well, I spent the evening carving rock work in the seawall. It looks really good, but it's very time consuming. I have a long way to go before it and the retaining wall will be ready for staining.

In the meantime, I'm headed back to the Lake later this morning for a few days, so I won't be working on Foss' until I get back on Friday. But I will be working on the next car in the work train

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  2:12:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi all
Mike the pictures look good. I think you will be very happy with the stone wall. I thought maybe you were going to have a stone seawall the entire length of the landing but I see from your photo that you will have a water line and a shore line. I am planning to have the pilings run the entire length and then some.
On another note I e-mailed Brett about my unfortunate accident with the transfer decal and also asked about the new kits. I also mentioned that we had our own area to discuss the building of Foss'. Here is his reply.

Hi John:

I was reading the forums as I do every Friday evening (exciting life huh?) and saw your post about the messed up signs. I mailed replacements to you the next day. No need to send the card in. The card is for folks who do not purchase the kit directly from me - you would not believe the stories I get about damaged parts (i.e. the dog ate my homework!).

There are two new Foss' structures in the works, a neat boat repair shop with incline track, winch house, etc... and a very unusual lighthouse, not the classic style at all.

Thanks and enjoy!

Brett Gallant
SierraWest Scale Models
P.O. Box 250088
Plano, Texas 75025
972-618-5563

bg@sierrawestscalemodels.com
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com

Talk about great customer service. WOW!!!
I guess it also means that "Big Brother is watching" (Big Grin) and he may get the wrong impression of us if we keep showing pictures of wine bottles.
I can definitely use the repair shop but not sure about the lighthouse. However my other hobby is collecting lighthouses. So maybe a diorama is a possibility. I once said that if I won a lottery I would buy a lighthouse to live in.
I asked about footprint but did not get an answer as you can see.

Well I hope to get some work done tonight on the Clam & Oyster Company because before long I will be able to glue the walls together.

John, I missed this posting completely earlier. For some reason, the "Active Topics" link at the top of the page doesn't alway display the topics accurately in my browser. Anyway...

Yeah, I have to have a definite waterline with an undercut shoreline since I'm modeling a river landing rather than a seaside landing in a port or bay. One of the things I have planned as part of the staining process will be a "high water" mark on the seawall. (We have a high water line along our seawall at the Lake. It's caused by the lake being held at full pool during the summer.) But I'd also probably do it if I were modeling a seaside landing to show the "high tide" line.

Well, now I know where you guys got the info about the lighthouse and the repair shed. I'm definitely interested in the boat repair shop, but like I said earlier, I don't know about the lighthouse. I'd have to really stretch credibility to put one on the Osage River in the middle of the Ozarks.

I'm glad you were able to get new signs from Brett. I was pretty sure he'd take care of you right away. If only he had given you some "footprint" ideas...

Well, guys, it's time for me load up the car and make my 3-hour trek back to the water. I'll be very glad to get away from the city and all the traffic.

Later, everyone.

Edited by - MikeC on 02/11/2003 2:31:48 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  2:12:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi all
Mike the pictures look good. I think you will be very happy with the stone wall. I thought maybe you were going to have a stone seawall the entire length of the landing but I see from your photo that you will have a water line and a shore line. I am planning to have the pilings run the entire length and then some.
On another note I e-mailed Brett about my unfortunate accident with the transfer decal and also asked about the new kits. I also mentioned that we had our own area to discuss the building of Foss'. Here is his reply.

Hi John:

I was reading the forums as I do every Friday evening (exciting life huh?) and saw your post about the messed up signs. I mailed replacements to you the next day. No need to send the card in. The card is for folks who do not purchase the kit directly from me - you would not believe the stories I get about damaged parts (i.e. the dog ate my homework!).

There are two new Foss' structures in the works, a neat boat repair shop with incline track, winch house, etc... and a very unusual lighthouse, not the classic style at all.

Thanks and enjoy!

Brett Gallant
SierraWest Scale Models
P.O. Box 250088
Plano, Texas 75025
972-618-5563

bg@sierrawestscalemodels.com
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com

Talk about great customer service. WOW!!!
I guess it also means that "Big Brother is watching" (Big Grin) and he may get the wrong impression of us if we keep showing pictures of wine bottles.
I can definitely use the repair shop but not sure about the lighthouse. However my other hobby is collecting lighthouses. So maybe a diorama is a possibility. I once said that if I won a lottery I would buy a lighthouse to live in.
I asked about footprint but did not get an answer as you can see.

Well I hope to get some work done tonight on the Clam & Oyster Company because before long I will be able to glue the walls together.

John, I missed this posting completely earlier. For some reason, the "Active Topics" link at the top of the page doesn't alway display the topics accurately in my browser. Anyway...

Yeah, I have to have a definite waterline with an undercut shoreline since I'm modeling a river landing rather than a seaside landing in a port or bay. One of the things I have planned as part of the staining process will be a "high water" mark on the seawall. (We have a high water line along our seawall at the Lake. It's caused by the lake being held at full pool during the summer.) But I'd also probably do it if I were modeling a seaside landing to show the "high tide" line.

Well, now I know where you guys got the info about the lighthouse and the repair shed. I'm definitely interested in the boat repair shop, but like I said earlier, I don't know about the lighthouse. I'd have to really stretch credibility to put one on the Osage River in the middle of the Ozarks.

I'm glad you were able to get new signs from Brett. I was pretty sure he'd take care of you right away. If only he had given you some "footprint" ideas...

Well, guys, it's time for me load up the car and make my 3-hour trek back to the water. I'll be very glad to get away from the city and all the traffic.

Later, everyone.

Edited by - MikeC on 02/11/2003 2:31:48 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  2:26:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Mike, the diorama base looks great. Thanks for the pictures. I had another thought for your rock if the carving doesn't go well. I collect rock chips in varying colors from the wells, that I might use for different purposes on the layout (ballast, rock slides, etc.). They range in color from buff to pale gray, gray to brown. Size varies from silt (dust) size, from 1/32 to 1/4 inch. I have so far collected about 25 lbs. I had planned on using some of the smaller chips as build up (ie barnacles/scale) on the wharf piers. If you are anyone else would like some email me and I'll send a couple of pounds or a few samples, whichever you would like

All for now,

Jim

Thanks for the compliment, Jim, and thanks for the offer. I've also been collecting rocks, dirt, and dust (mine comes from the Ozarks, of course) for use on my layout and dioramas.

The stone carving, as I said in another post, is going well. It's time consuming, but it's worth it. Last night I sat and listened to Dvoark's Symphony #2 while scratching away on the damp plaster. A nice, relaxing evening.

BTW: my original reason for skipping ahead to the diorama base proved to be a good one. Now that I have the basic elevations set for the diorama and know where the buildings are all going in relation to the layout benchwork and track elevations, it's been easy to plan that corner of the layout.

Preparing the diorama base first is one those things I'm going to remember for future projects where multiple elevations are involved.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  2:26:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Mike, the diorama base looks great. Thanks for the pictures. I had another thought for your rock if the carving doesn't go well. I collect rock chips in varying colors from the wells, that I might use for different purposes on the layout (ballast, rock slides, etc.). They range in color from buff to pale gray, gray to brown. Size varies from silt (dust) size, from 1/32 to 1/4 inch. I have so far collected about 25 lbs. I had planned on using some of the smaller chips as build up (ie barnacles/scale) on the wharf piers. If you are anyone else would like some email me and I'll send a couple of pounds or a few samples, whichever you would like

All for now,

Jim

Thanks for the compliment, Jim, and thanks for the offer. I've also been collecting rocks, dirt, and dust (mine comes from the Ozarks, of course) for use on my layout and dioramas.

The stone carving, as I said in another post, is going well. It's time consuming, but it's worth it. Last night I sat and listened to Dvoark's Symphony #2 while scratching away on the damp plaster. A nice, relaxing evening.

BTW: my original reason for skipping ahead to the diorama base proved to be a good one. Now that I have the basic elevations set for the diorama and know where the buildings are all going in relation to the layout benchwork and track elevations, it's been easy to plan that corner of the layout.

Preparing the diorama base first is one those things I'm going to remember for future projects where multiple elevations are involved.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  4:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Question on windows?
Hi all
I am now proceeding to glue the windows in place on the walls. I just realised that I have left over window parts.
In the new instructions on page 11 is a picture of the laser cut windows. Mike I know you have the old instructions and are at the lake so you may not be following this.
Inside of the Outside Frame are 2 parts called the Ledge and the Header. I have not found these mentioned anywhere in the instructions. Am I blind.
From various pictures in the instructions it looks like the Ledge has been installed under the windows for the bottom of the window in the pictures is longer that the laser cut part.
I do not see the header anywhere.
So if anyone can see the what I am missing I would appreciate your help.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  4:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Question on windows?
Hi all
I am now proceeding to glue the windows in place on the walls. I just realised that I have left over window parts.
In the new instructions on page 11 is a picture of the laser cut windows. Mike I know you have the old instructions and are at the lake so you may not be following this.
Inside of the Outside Frame are 2 parts called the Ledge and the Header. I have not found these mentioned anywhere in the instructions. Am I blind.
From various pictures in the instructions it looks like the Ledge has been installed under the windows for the bottom of the window in the pictures is longer that the laser cut part.
I do not see the header anywhere.
So if anyone can see the what I am missing I would appreciate your help.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  9:33:08 PM  Show Profile
John, as you surmised, I am at the Lake and don't have the Foss' manual with me. However....

If memory serves me correctly, the ledge is the exterior portion of the sill. It's glued on edge right at the bottom of the window. The header goes at the top of the window framing and is glued on the "flat" side of the piece.

I hope I'm right and that this helps.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  9:33:08 PM  Show Profile
John, as you surmised, I am at the Lake and don't have the Foss' manual with me. However....

If memory serves me correctly, the ledge is the exterior portion of the sill. It's glued on edge right at the bottom of the window. The header goes at the top of the window framing and is glued on the "flat" side of the piece.

I hope I'm right and that this helps.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  09:19:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
quote:

Your memory is correct. However since these pieces are on the peel and stick sheet they can only be used one way. The Ledge is fine since it is a square shape and can be applied to the outside of the sill which then gives me the look of the windows that are in all the pictures.
My only concern was that I found no reference to these two parts in the instructions. The Header is in the shape of a trapezoid and would go above the window. They are not shown in any picture and they to me do not add anything to the window so I am leaving them off.
Have a great day.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  09:19:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
quote:

Your memory is correct. However since these pieces are on the peel and stick sheet they can only be used one way. The Ledge is fine since it is a square shape and can be applied to the outside of the sill which then gives me the look of the windows that are in all the pictures.
My only concern was that I found no reference to these two parts in the instructions. The Header is in the shape of a trapezoid and would go above the window. They are not shown in any picture and they to me do not add anything to the window so I am leaving them off.
Have a great day.

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  09:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well I painted step 3 in my 4 part painting proccess last evening, now I just have to wait a day or so for it to dry and then finish with step 4. I also painted my windows last evening, I think they came out great.

I will be gone for the next few days for a Wedding, so I probably will not work on Foss' Landing again until Monday or Tuesday after we get back.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000