Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  3:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
John,

I'm not sure this helps, but I asked my wife how our local fish market in NJ had some fish from New Zealand. Our fish market makes several trips into the NYC Fulton Fish market to resupply. How did they get to the Fulton Market?

But, that may be too much to explain, in your case. It was worth a try...

Chuck

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Well, I didn't carve rock this afternoon. At least not yet. I took a good look at the surface of the wall and realized it was far too smooth to make a good stone wall. So I decided to add some texture to the surface.

First, I heavily sprayed all of the wall surface with "wet" water. While it was soaking into the walls, I mixed a very soupy batch of plaster. Next, I stippled small amounts of plaster on the surface with an old paint brush. After I had gone the length and height of the entire wall, I went over it again with a second application of plaster. Now it's drying. I'll carve the mortar lines in this evening if the plaster is dry.

Here are three photos of the base as I constructed it. Obviously, I took them right after I added the texturing to the wall surfaces. I tried to get a good one of the stair-step wall in the back, but it was difficult without setting up my photofloods for better lighting. And I didn't want to take the time to do that. Anyway, these should give you some idea of how it all looks after the first few steps of construction are completed.

Edited by - MikeC on 02/10/2003 5:39:29 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Well, I didn't carve rock this afternoon. At least not yet. I took a good look at the surface of the wall and realized it was far too smooth to make a good stone wall. So I decided to add some texture to the surface.

First, I heavily sprayed all of the wall surface with "wet" water. While it was soaking into the walls, I mixed a very soupy batch of plaster. Next, I stippled small amounts of plaster on the surface with an old paint brush. After I had gone the length and height of the entire wall, I went over it again with a second application of plaster. Now it's drying. I'll carve the mortar lines in this evening if the plaster is dry.

Here are three photos of the base as I constructed it. Obviously, I took them right after I added the texturing to the wall surfaces. I tried to get a good one of the stair-step wall in the back, but it was difficult without setting up my photofloods for better lighting. And I didn't want to take the time to do that. Anyway, these should give you some idea of how it all looks after the first few steps of construction are completed.

Edited by - MikeC on 02/10/2003 5:39:29 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  5:59:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

I was also concerned about the signs as my Foss' Landing is on a river which is about 400 miles from the ocean and therefore there would be no clams or oysters. The sign on the side of the building however does not really advertise sales of clams or oysters but of fishing gear and boating equipment. The final details however with the crates of clams could be a problem. Will have to decide what to do with these.

John, I have been pondering the same thing as you and for the same reasons. The only difference in our problem is 600 miles. The Ozarks are about 1000 miles from the nearest coastline.... not too many clams or oysters in the Osage River. I've been thinking that I'll apply only parts of the dry transfer lettering and leave out the Clam & Oyster bit. But as you pointed out, the crates present a whole different issue.

Chuck, by the time a shipment of clams or oysters made it this far inland in 1910, well.... phewww! They'd probably be pretty "aromatic," to say the least.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  5:59:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

I was also concerned about the signs as my Foss' Landing is on a river which is about 400 miles from the ocean and therefore there would be no clams or oysters. The sign on the side of the building however does not really advertise sales of clams or oysters but of fishing gear and boating equipment. The final details however with the crates of clams could be a problem. Will have to decide what to do with these.

John, I have been pondering the same thing as you and for the same reasons. The only difference in our problem is 600 miles. The Ozarks are about 1000 miles from the nearest coastline.... not too many clams or oysters in the Osage River. I've been thinking that I'll apply only parts of the dry transfer lettering and leave out the Clam & Oyster bit. But as you pointed out, the crates present a whole different issue.

Chuck, by the time a shipment of clams or oysters made it this far inland in 1910, well.... phewww! They'd probably be pretty "aromatic," to say the least.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  6:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Mike the pictures look good. I think you will be very happy with the stone wall. I thought maybe you were going to have a stone seawall the entire length of the landing but I see from your photo that you will have a water line and a shore line. I am planning to have the pilings run the entire length and then some.
On another note I e-mailed Brett about my unfortunate accident with the transfer decal and also asked about the new kits. I also mentioned that we had our own area to discuss the building of Foss'. Here is his reply.

Hi John:

I was reading the forums as I do every Friday evening (exciting life huh?) and saw your post about the messed up signs. I mailed replacements to you the next day. No need to send the card in. The card is for folks who do not purchase the kit directly from me - you would not believe the stories I get about damaged parts (i.e. the dog ate my homework!).

There are two new Foss' structures in the works, a neat boat repair shop with incline track, winch house, etc... and a very unusual lighthouse, not the classic style at all.

Thanks and enjoy!

Brett Gallant
SierraWest Scale Models
P.O. Box 250088
Plano, Texas 75025
972-618-5563

bg@sierrawestscalemodels.com
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com

Talk about great customer service. WOW!!!
I guess it also means that "Big Brother is watching" (Big Grin) and he may get the wrong impression of us if we keep showing pictures of wine bottles.
I can definitely use the repair shop but not sure about the lighthouse. However my other hobby is collecting lighthouses. So maybe a diorama is a possibility. I once said that if I won a lottery I would buy a lighthouse to live in.
I asked about footprint but did not get an answer as you can see.

Well I hope to get some work done tonight on the Clam & Oyster Company because before long I will be able to glue the walls together.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  6:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Mike the pictures look good. I think you will be very happy with the stone wall. I thought maybe you were going to have a stone seawall the entire length of the landing but I see from your photo that you will have a water line and a shore line. I am planning to have the pilings run the entire length and then some.
On another note I e-mailed Brett about my unfortunate accident with the transfer decal and also asked about the new kits. I also mentioned that we had our own area to discuss the building of Foss'. Here is his reply.

Hi John:

I was reading the forums as I do every Friday evening (exciting life huh?) and saw your post about the messed up signs. I mailed replacements to you the next day. No need to send the card in. The card is for folks who do not purchase the kit directly from me - you would not believe the stories I get about damaged parts (i.e. the dog ate my homework!).

There are two new Foss' structures in the works, a neat boat repair shop with incline track, winch house, etc... and a very unusual lighthouse, not the classic style at all.

Thanks and enjoy!

Brett Gallant
SierraWest Scale Models
P.O. Box 250088
Plano, Texas 75025
972-618-5563

bg@sierrawestscalemodels.com
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com

Talk about great customer service. WOW!!!
I guess it also means that "Big Brother is watching" (Big Grin) and he may get the wrong impression of us if we keep showing pictures of wine bottles.
I can definitely use the repair shop but not sure about the lighthouse. However my other hobby is collecting lighthouses. So maybe a diorama is a possibility. I once said that if I won a lottery I would buy a lighthouse to live in.
I asked about footprint but did not get an answer as you can see.

Well I hope to get some work done tonight on the Clam & Oyster Company because before long I will be able to glue the walls together.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  8:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I went to Brett's web site and read the story line behind Foss' Landing.
"Antonio Foss came to a new land with great expectations
and a grand vision. . .

When A. Foss started his tiny fishermen’s supply company he never dreamed he would one day own the largest fleet of tugs and barges on the sound! “Only in America” he could be heard muttering in his thick accent from time to time. What started as a tiny rowboat rental service in the late 19th Century quickly grew to include gas and steam powered tugs of every description. With several offices up and down the coast, Antonio’s children run the business now and have preserved the good family name by upgrading the fleet to ultra modern standards."

For me:
Foss' Landing will be placed on a river where supplies are unloaded from the RR and then placed on barges which are moved 100's of miles to remote towns and villages in Alaska. Therefore the story line is perfect for my layout.
The name of the business having "Clam and Oysters" in it will be easily explained as the original family business has branched out from their initial product line.
Now I just have to justify the cases and sacks of clams and oysters on the docks. If they were Alaskan King Crabs then it would be very easy as they could have made the trip from the canneries in southern Alaska. Unlike Mike in 1988 there is refrigeration to keep them smelling fresh.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  8:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I went to Brett's web site and read the story line behind Foss' Landing.
"Antonio Foss came to a new land with great expectations
and a grand vision. . .

When A. Foss started his tiny fishermen’s supply company he never dreamed he would one day own the largest fleet of tugs and barges on the sound! “Only in America” he could be heard muttering in his thick accent from time to time. What started as a tiny rowboat rental service in the late 19th Century quickly grew to include gas and steam powered tugs of every description. With several offices up and down the coast, Antonio’s children run the business now and have preserved the good family name by upgrading the fleet to ultra modern standards."

For me:
Foss' Landing will be placed on a river where supplies are unloaded from the RR and then placed on barges which are moved 100's of miles to remote towns and villages in Alaska. Therefore the story line is perfect for my layout.
The name of the business having "Clam and Oysters" in it will be easily explained as the original family business has branched out from their initial product line.
Now I just have to justify the cases and sacks of clams and oysters on the docks. If they were Alaskan King Crabs then it would be very easy as they could have made the trip from the canneries in southern Alaska. Unlike Mike in 1988 there is refrigeration to keep them smelling fresh.

John Bagley

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  8:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Seems as if we are all running into the oyster/clam dilemma. The boxes and sacks of clams/oysters are not a problem without the decals. To me, they are just boxes and sacks of supplies. I didn't use the text on the black dry transfer decal sign, but will do dry transfers of "fishing supplies" or something to that effect.

Another problem I had was with the "Bill of Goods" sign. I went back to paints I was familar with and used a semi-viscous offwhite acrylic drybrushed on the walls. Since the "BOG" sign are white also, they are slightly washed out. I plan on going with a different color of dry transfer, but will have to wait until I get to a larger town than Carlsbad,NM to find them.

Mike, the diorama base looks great. Thanks for the pictures. I had another thought for your rock if the carving doesn't go well. I collect rock chips in varying colors from the wells, that I might use for different purposes on the layout (ballast, rock slides, etc.). They range in color from buff to pale gray, gray to brown. Size varies from silt (dust) size, from 1/32 to 1/4 inch. I have so far collected about 25 lbs. I had planned on using some of the smaller chips as build up (ie barnacles/scale) on the wharf piers. If you are anyone else would like some email me and I'll send a couple of pounds or a few samples, whichever you would like

All for now,

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/10/2003 8:56:13 PM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  8:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Seems as if we are all running into the oyster/clam dilemma. The boxes and sacks of clams/oysters are not a problem without the decals. To me, they are just boxes and sacks of supplies. I didn't use the text on the black dry transfer decal sign, but will do dry transfers of "fishing supplies" or something to that effect.

Another problem I had was with the "Bill of Goods" sign. I went back to paints I was familar with and used a semi-viscous offwhite acrylic drybrushed on the walls. Since the "BOG" sign are white also, they are slightly washed out. I plan on going with a different color of dry transfer, but will have to wait until I get to a larger town than Carlsbad,NM to find them.

Mike, the diorama base looks great. Thanks for the pictures. I had another thought for your rock if the carving doesn't go well. I collect rock chips in varying colors from the wells, that I might use for different purposes on the layout (ballast, rock slides, etc.). They range in color from buff to pale gray, gray to brown. Size varies from silt (dust) size, from 1/32 to 1/4 inch. I have so far collected about 25 lbs. I had planned on using some of the smaller chips as build up (ie barnacles/scale) on the wharf piers. If you are anyone else would like some email me and I'll send a couple of pounds or a few samples, whichever you would like

All for now,

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/10/2003 8:56:13 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Mike,
Yeah, you're probably right about the clams and oysters being aromatic in 1910! I tried.

I'll be interested to see what Brett has in mind for the lighthouse. Just like everyone has a hard time justifying clams and oysters in the middle of the continent, I have a hard time justifying a lighthouse in NE Pennsylvania. I really love lighthouses, and someone gave me the idea to build one as a restaurant. I'm still thinking about it.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Mike,
Yeah, you're probably right about the clams and oysters being aromatic in 1910! I tried.

I'll be interested to see what Brett has in mind for the lighthouse. Just like everyone has a hard time justifying clams and oysters in the middle of the continent, I have a hard time justifying a lighthouse in NE Pennsylvania. I really love lighthouses, and someone gave me the idea to build one as a restaurant. I'm still thinking about it.

Chuck

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  09:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chuck
A lighthouse as a restaurant now that is a great idea.
Thanks I really that that would work.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  09:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chuck
A lighthouse as a restaurant now that is a great idea.
Thanks I really that that would work.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000