Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 177 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  4:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi
Thanks all for your input.
Mike I saw the green card but figured it was only for missing parts. I will give Brett a call.
I think I will still keep the workers there but this time they will be putting up a new sign.
Thanks again group.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  9:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I can breath again.
All went well with the transfer of the "Bill of Goods" lettering.
Boy was I nervous that I would somehow mess up again.
Now to work on the signs for the other walls and put in the windows and then assemble the completed walls.
Well as Saturday is my long day of work I will now put everything away until Sunday night.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 02/07/2003 9:53:51 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  9:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well I can breath again.
All went well with the transfer of the "Bill of Goods" lettering.
Boy was I nervous that I would somehow mess up again.
Now to work on the signs for the other walls and put in the windows and then assemble the completed walls.
Well as Saturday is my long day of work I will now put everything away until Sunday night.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 02/07/2003 9:53:51 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  12:06:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear that all went well with the signage, John.

I've been giving the signs quite a bit of thought because I'm going to have to change them somewhat. Clams and oysters weren't exactly a common item in the Ozark Mountain range in 1910.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  12:06:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear that all went well with the signage, John.

I've been giving the signs quite a bit of thought because I'm going to have to change them somewhat. Clams and oysters weren't exactly a common item in the Ozark Mountain range in 1910.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  10:33:24 AM  Show Profile
OK, guys, just wait until you get to the part in the manual about preparing the diorama base. I got started with it last night, but I didn't get very far.

I got the plywood base cut out and the 16"X16" cardboard template and the cardboard "footprints" for the various structures all cut out OK. No problem. I even managed to get the footprints properly positioned and at the correct distances from the edges of the template. Then the real fun began.

I don't know why, but for some reason I had the devil's own time trying to get dotted lines for the retaining wall properly positioned. If I had a starting point correctly measured and positioned at one end, then the other end would be off in relation to the template edge and the structures. So, I'd adjust that end, and then the middle section would be off.

So I stopped for a few minutes, drank a couple glasses of wine, and suddenly I had no trouble measuring anything. Everything looked right!

When I double checked my work this morning, it all still looked OK.

There's probably a moral to this story, but I don't know what it is.

Seriously, though, if I had to draw them over again, I would cut some pieces of stripwood to the proper lengths and use those as positioning guides to draw my lines. I don't know why I didn't think of it last night.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  10:33:24 AM  Show Profile
OK, guys, just wait until you get to the part in the manual about preparing the diorama base. I got started with it last night, but I didn't get very far.

I got the plywood base cut out and the 16"X16" cardboard template and the cardboard "footprints" for the various structures all cut out OK. No problem. I even managed to get the footprints properly positioned and at the correct distances from the edges of the template. Then the real fun began.

I don't know why, but for some reason I had the devil's own time trying to get dotted lines for the retaining wall properly positioned. If I had a starting point correctly measured and positioned at one end, then the other end would be off in relation to the template edge and the structures. So, I'd adjust that end, and then the middle section would be off.

So I stopped for a few minutes, drank a couple glasses of wine, and suddenly I had no trouble measuring anything. Everything looked right!

When I double checked my work this morning, it all still looked OK.

There's probably a moral to this story, but I don't know what it is.

Seriously, though, if I had to draw them over again, I would cut some pieces of stripwood to the proper lengths and use those as positioning guides to draw my lines. I don't know why I didn't think of it last night.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

I guess I better not tell you that I had no problems with the retaining wall.

My problem being that the area on my layout that Foss' Landing is going is not 16" square, it is 12" X 30" and I am still playing around with how I am actually going to place each structure. The other probelm is I already have a seaside structure there that I have to incorporate into Foss' Landing. It will match very well in style, but getting all of them in the area I have set aside is perplexing. I may just have to add to my layout.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 02/08/2003 1:16:33 PM

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

My problem being that the area on my layout that Foss' Landing is going is not 16" square, it is 12" X 30" and I am still playing around with how I am actually going to place each structure. The other probelm is I already have a seaside structure there that I have to incorporate into Foss' Landing. It will match very well in style, but getting all of them in the area I have set aside is perplexing. I may just have to add to my layout.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 02/08/2003 1:16:33 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  1:58:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Mike,

Harry

grrrrrr. hisssssssss.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  1:58:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Mike,

Harry

grrrrrr. hisssssssss.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  10:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
You forgot to give us the most important information. What brand of wine makes everything look OK. Is it store bought or home made?

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  10:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
You forgot to give us the most important information. What brand of wine makes everything look OK. Is it store bought or home made?

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Mike

John, this should say it all. Just make sure the Seyval is well chilled.

Edited by - MikeC on 02/09/2003 10:23:52 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Mike

John, this should say it all. Just make sure the Seyval is well chilled.

Edited by - MikeC on 02/09/2003 10:23:52 AM

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000