Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  11:14:44 AM  Show Profile
This topic/thread is specifically for the discussion of Sierra West's Foss' Landing kit and our "project construction" of it.

Anyone who is currently building this kit (or who has already built it) is welcome to join in the discussion. Feel free to post updates, progress photos, suggestions, tips, questions... well, you get the idea.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  12:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone. Sorry I was very busy this weekend and am still waiting for my Foss' Landing. It should arrive in he next few days. I am getting all ready to start, I cleared up most of my workbench and finished a few small projects that I had hanging around.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  12:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone. Sorry I was very busy this weekend and am still waiting for my Foss' Landing. It should arrive in he next few days. I am getting all ready to start, I cleared up most of my workbench and finished a few small projects that I had hanging around.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

I cleared up most of my workbench and finished a few small projects that I had hanging around.

Well, if you got that done, Harry, you're miles ahead of me already. It was with a lot of reluctance that I packed up the castings for my tractor repair shed and put the shed diorama on a shelf last night. There was just no way I could get it finished and work on Foss' at the same time.

Too many projects can make me .....

Anyway, speaking of Foss', I got the backs/bases of the resin "wood" castings drilled and toothpicks inserted in them last night. I'll do the preliminary painting tonight and maybe get to the "metal" castings (drums, tanks, etc.) also.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

I cleared up most of my workbench and finished a few small projects that I had hanging around.

Well, if you got that done, Harry, you're miles ahead of me already. It was with a lot of reluctance that I packed up the castings for my tractor repair shed and put the shed diorama on a shelf last night. There was just no way I could get it finished and work on Foss' at the same time.

Too many projects can make me .....

Anyway, speaking of Foss', I got the backs/bases of the resin "wood" castings drilled and toothpicks inserted in them last night. I'll do the preliminary painting tonight and maybe get to the "metal" castings (drums, tanks, etc.) also.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  1:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mr. Mike
A while back you posted this:
Posted - 01/17/2003 : 10:00:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a few more suggestions for painting and detailing before we get too far into the Landing kit. I'll post them here over the weekend if I get a chance.

Do not want you to have a "Senior Moment" and forget your promise. I would like to start painting the castings and would like to hear your other suggestions.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  1:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mr. Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a few more suggestions for painting and detailing before we get too far into the Landing kit. I'll post them here over the weekend if I get a chance.

Do not want you to have a "Senior Moment" and forget your promise. I would like to start painting the castings and would like to hear your other suggestions.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  3:33:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Mr. Mike

Last night, I got all of the "wood" resin castings painted with the base colors. As I have done in the past, I used mostly Plaid/Apple Barrel acrylics for the basic wood tones rather than the more expensive Floquil/Polly paints called for in the manual. The one exception is Polly "Roof Brown."

These are the colors I used:
Polly: "Roof Brown"
P/AB: "Brown Oxide," "Country Grey," and "Burnt Sienna"

I used a #0 Spotter brush from Lowe-Cornell and deliberately intermingled the colors, letting them slightly streak but mostly blend on the overlapping strokes. I was also careful to keep the brush from loading up with pigments by occasionally diping it in water and wiping it on a paper towel. The damp bristles also ensured that the paints would be thinned enough to prevent the wood grain in the castings from getting loaded up with paint.

For most of the castings I used the first three colors listed. For some of them, I used a touch of the burnt sienna to add a reddish cast to the wood color.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  3:33:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Mr. Mike

Last night, I got all of the "wood" resin castings painted with the base colors. As I have done in the past, I used mostly Plaid/Apple Barrel acrylics for the basic wood tones rather than the more expensive Floquil/Polly paints called for in the manual. The one exception is Polly "Roof Brown."

These are the colors I used:
Polly: "Roof Brown"
P/AB: "Brown Oxide," "Country Grey," and "Burnt Sienna"

I used a #0 Spotter brush from Lowe-Cornell and deliberately intermingled the colors, letting them slightly streak but mostly blend on the overlapping strokes. I was also careful to keep the brush from loading up with pigments by occasionally diping it in water and wiping it on a paper towel. The damp bristles also ensured that the paints would be thinned enough to prevent the wood grain in the castings from getting loaded up with paint.

For most of the castings I used the first three colors listed. For some of them, I used a touch of the burnt sienna to add a reddish cast to the wood color.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  10:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
I painted up the wood resin castings with their base coats last night. This is my first time working with resin castings. All I can say is WOW!!! The fine details just seem to jump out at you when they are painted. I think that with detail painting they will really look great.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  10:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
I painted up the wood resin castings with their base coats last night. This is my first time working with resin castings. All I can say is WOW!!! The fine details just seem to jump out at you when they are painted. I think that with detail painting they will really look great.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile
I started preparing the laser-cut, peel-n-stick windows, doors, and stair stringers last night. And I used a technique that I'm really excited about. It's simple and by no means new, but I had never tried it before.

I used windshiefd washer fluid and Polly Roof Brown to create a basic wood stain. I did it by dipping a 1/4" flat brush into the Roof Brown and then painting it on a plastic lid (from a yogurt cup). Next I dipped my brush into a small bottle of washer fluid and then swirled it around in the paint until the paint was a very thin stain. I applied the stain to the wood parts. It looked great.

(Now understand, this is very similar to Brett's suggested method of using Polly and alcohol. I had tried that before but found that the alcohol would cause the paint to "coagulate" after several seconds. And it was very noticeable when I tried it with craft acrylics in the past. But I had no trouble last night with the washer fluid coagualting the paint. It made a true stain, and it dried beautifully)

My next step was to "age" the wood, so I made a dilute stain of washer fluid and Apple Barrel "Pewter Grey" and washed it across the wood parts, following the grain in the door panels. It came out great! I checked it this morning after it had dried overnight, and the results look just like real aged and weathered wood.

There was quite a bit of discussion here at RR-L this past summer about using washer fluid as a thinner for airbrushing. But I had never tried it as a general thinner for brush painting until last night.

Now I'm thinking about trying it as a stripwood stain.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile
I started preparing the laser-cut, peel-n-stick windows, doors, and stair stringers last night. And I used a technique that I'm really excited about. It's simple and by no means new, but I had never tried it before.

I used windshiefd washer fluid and Polly Roof Brown to create a basic wood stain. I did it by dipping a 1/4" flat brush into the Roof Brown and then painting it on a plastic lid (from a yogurt cup). Next I dipped my brush into a small bottle of washer fluid and then swirled it around in the paint until the paint was a very thin stain. I applied the stain to the wood parts. It looked great.

(Now understand, this is very similar to Brett's suggested method of using Polly and alcohol. I had tried that before but found that the alcohol would cause the paint to "coagulate" after several seconds. And it was very noticeable when I tried it with craft acrylics in the past. But I had no trouble last night with the washer fluid coagualting the paint. It made a true stain, and it dried beautifully)

My next step was to "age" the wood, so I made a dilute stain of washer fluid and Apple Barrel "Pewter Grey" and washed it across the wood parts, following the grain in the door panels. It came out great! I checked it this morning after it had dried overnight, and the results look just like real aged and weathered wood.

There was quite a bit of discussion here at RR-L this past summer about using washer fluid as a thinner for airbrushing. But I had never tried it as a general thinner for brush painting until last night.

Now I'm thinking about trying it as a stripwood stain.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Well I'm still waiting for mine to come in. I am hoping it will be here today. I have used windshield washer fluid for years with great success.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Well I'm still waiting for mine to come in. I am hoping it will be here today. I have used windshield washer fluid for years with great success.

Harry

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  2:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Question on window glazing?
Brett talks of spraying the window glazing with Dull-Coat to give a dirty window look. I have never done this and wondered if anyone else had and was the effect worth it. I guess in my other structures the window washing crew were on their toes and the windows were always clean.
I have used window washing solution many times to clean the brushes but never mixed with paint. I guess the soap in the solution acts like wet water and allows it to flow into all nooks and crannies.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000