Railroad Line Forums - Cookie cutter benchwork
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: orting ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Cookie cutter benchwork
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tortoise Buss Wiring Topic Next Topic: Question for Bonkyrail re: Tunnels
Page: of 3

MasonJar
Section Hand

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Although greatly inspired by Bonkyrail, I have begun to rethink the foam risers and grades I have created. It would seem easier to mount undertable switch machines directly to plywood under the track instead of cutting into the foam, etc, etc.

Does anyone have experience with cookie cutter benchwork? Pictures would be most appreciated!! I was thinking L-grider with risers, but this is my first layout, and it's only 4x8.

Suggestions please!

Andrew

NYC
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  11:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Andrew,

All my layouts (6) prior to this one were cookie cutter type with L-girder construction. It works great, the only reason I switched was because I was tired of building large layouts that I couldn't easily move. I would end up either selling it to someone else and letting them handle the moving or tearing it apart.
Soory I don't have any photo's handy, if I get a chance I'll look to see if I have any.

My new layout is modular construction with foam. I am mounting my switch machines under the layout but I am going to use Del Aire machines because, I have checked them out and think they work great. I have mounted other brands under foam with no problem.

Modeling the NYC railroad
(Not Yet Completed Railroad)

Phil

NYC
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  11:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Andrew,

All my layouts (6) prior to this one were cookie cutter type with L-girder construction. It works great, the only reason I switched was because I was tired of building large layouts that I couldn't easily move. I would end up either selling it to someone else and letting them handle the moving or tearing it apart.
Soory I don't have any photo's handy, if I get a chance I'll look to see if I have any.

My new layout is modular construction with foam. I am mounting my switch machines under the layout but I am going to use Del Aire machines because, I have checked them out and think they work great. I have mounted other brands under foam with no problem.

Phil

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  1:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Having tried both methods, I advise against use of "cookie-cutter" benchwork. I suggest a frame, with risers for all subroadbed; this will allow scenery below track level. It will also be lighter in weight. Use wire coathangers to form mountain (hill) ridges and valleys, and attach screen-wire to them. Cover with 2-ply toweling dipped in Hydrocal B-11, (avoid type "A" as it sets up too fast), which will allow space underneath for hidden trackage. Foam, while light-weight, lacks supporting strength in small cross-sections. Switch machines can be attached to the sub-roadbed.

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  1:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Having tried both methods, I advise against use of "cookie-cutter" benchwork. I suggest a frame, with risers for all subroadbed; this will allow scenery below track level. It will also be lighter in weight. Use wire coathangers to form mountain (hill) ridges and valleys, and attach screen-wire to them. Cover with 2-ply toweling dipped in Hydrocal B-11, (avoid type "A" as it sets up too fast), which will allow space underneath for hidden trackage. Foam, while light-weight, lacks supporting strength in small cross-sections. Switch machines can be attached to the sub-roadbed.

MasonJar
Section Hand

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  1:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Phil - Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to any photos you may have. I am planning on putting wheels on the table so I can move it around the workshop. This first layout is really to try things out, so I don't plan on moving it anywhere soon.

I was wondering if the changes in elevation are problematic, since 1) there will be a slight offset once a flat piece of wood is bent to make a change in elevation, and 2) if a significant "change of plane" occurs when elevating the track around a corner (say 90 degrees). Also, won't the subroad tilt sideways, since the "hinge" point of the board is perpendicular to the end of the run?

Wallace - Thanks as well, especially coat hanger tip for hardshell. I think what I will end up with will be close to "frame with sub-roadbed on risers", since only about 25% of the track is at what would be considered 0" elevation, and I am planning to cut a riverbed at about -1" elevation.

Andrew

MasonJar
Section Hand

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  1:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Phil - Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to any photos you may have. I am planning on putting wheels on the table so I can move it around the workshop. This first layout is really to try things out, so I don't plan on moving it anywhere soon.

I was wondering if the changes in elevation are problematic, since 1) there will be a slight offset once a flat piece of wood is bent to make a change in elevation, and 2) if a significant "change of plane" occurs when elevating the track around a corner (say 90 degrees). Also, won't the subroad tilt sideways, since the "hinge" point of the board is perpendicular to the end of the run?

Wallace - Thanks as well, especially coat hanger tip for hardshell. I think what I will end up with will be close to "frame with sub-roadbed on risers", since only about 25% of the track is at what would be considered 0" elevation, and I am planning to cut a riverbed at about -1" elevation.

Andrew

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  1:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage
Andrew, I am in the middle of doing a small article on "Cookie Cutter" methods and will have it ready by the weekend with photo's if you want me to post it here.

PaulT

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  1:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage
Andrew, I am in the middle of doing a small article on "Cookie Cutter" methods and will have it ready by the weekend with photo's if you want me to post it here.

PaulT

MasonJar
Section Hand

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  2:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Paul - That would be great. Your other articles have been very useful. I can look up your website if you're adding it there... Just post a link, instead of the whole thing.

Thanks.

Andrew

MasonJar
Section Hand

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  2:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Paul - That would be great. Your other articles have been very useful. I can look up your website if you're adding it there... Just post a link, instead of the whole thing.

Thanks.

Andrew

Cowcatcher
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  3:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage
Andrew;

The September issue of MR has an article devoted to "Cookie cutter" benchwork the includes photo's. It is a good start point.

Dave Koch

Cowcatcher
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  3:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage
Andrew;

The September issue of MR has an article devoted to "Cookie cutter" benchwork the includes photo's. It is a good start point.

Dave Koch

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  05:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage
Here's a starter, letter (A) shows the cookie cutting done on both the 1/8" plywood and 1/2" insulation board. Letter (B) shows it in place but not raised and letter (C) shows part of it raised ready for the next job.

PaulT

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  05:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage
Here's a starter, letter (A) shows the cookie cutting done on both the 1/8" plywood and 1/2" insulation board. Letter (B) shows it in place but not raised and letter (C) shows part of it raised ready for the next job.

PaulT

NYC
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Nice Photo's showing the steps Paul!! BTW I really like the backdrop!!! Very well done!!

Phil

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Tortoise Buss Wiring Topic Next Topic: Question for Bonkyrail re: Tunnels  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000