Railroad Line Forums - Train wrecks
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 Train wrecks
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Lost Engines of Roanoke Topic Next Topic: Request for Info
Page: of 2

rhomeeyeball
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/11/2002 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ya'll
I thought doing a thread on steam wrecks might be fun.
Here is one of mine. It's T&P ( of course ) near Wickett out in west Texas close to Odessa. Time is 1908.

Attachment: 2.jpg 19.61 KB
Bye now
David

rhomeeyeball
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/11/2002 :  2:39:05 PM  Show Profile
And then there was the "Crash at Crush". This was staged by the MKT in 1896. Two people were killed. Look at these web sites for details.
http://buckcreek.tripod.com/crash-photo.html or
http://www.lsjunction.com/facts/crush.htm

Later
David

Yellow signal
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  2:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Dear David,
Your idea is one of pure coolness! I will look for more, i like mechanical mayhem at it's worst!
Would a non-steam crash thread be OK too?

Erik

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  10:10:41 PM  Show Profile
This story was related to me by my Grandfather who was a engineer.

In 1900 my Great Grandfather was killed in a freak wreck.He was a Engineer on the old Columbus Hocking Valley & Toledo Ry. He was running a train from Athens to Columbus.Here is the way the story goes.
It had been raining for 3 days and the ground was soggy, a tree fell across the tracks unbeknown to my Great Grandfather.Needless to say he hit the tree.The Engine reared up on it's wheels and rolled over Killing my Great Grandfather,the fireman and headbrakeman all was scalded to death when the engine over turned...

Larry
C&O FOR PROGRESS!

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  10:10:41 PM  Show Profile
This story was related to me by my Grandfather who was a engineer.

In 1900 my Great Grandfather was killed in a freak wreck.He was a Engineer on the old Columbus Hocking Valley & Toledo Ry. He was running a train from Athens to Columbus.Here is the way the story goes.
It had been raining for 3 days and the ground was soggy, a tree fell across the tracks unbeknown to my Great Grandfather.Needless to say he hit the tree.The Engine reared up on it's wheels and rolled over Killing my Great Grandfather,the fireman and headbrakeman all was scalded to death when the engine over turned...

Larry
C&O FOR PROGRESS!

Shay Driver
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  01:18:03 AM  Show Profile
That is a great idea David.

Larry what a horrible way to go.

Nelson

P.S. Remember, be courteous to one another.

Shay Driver
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  01:18:03 AM  Show Profile
That is a great idea David.

Larry what a horrible way to go.

Nelson

P.S. Remember, be courteous to one another.

coaster1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  6:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Ten years ago I was the head writer (usually the only writer, truth be known) for a rail video company. We wound up producing a video ("Train Wrecks," I believe was the title -- how original!) using compiled newsreel footage from the 30s, 40s, 50s. It was a "quickie" production (I think we were addressing a cashflow problem at the time) and we were all more than a bit nervous about it. (I felt like Dracula writing the narration.)
It was released under the "Landmark" label and, last I heard, is still floating around a few LHS shelves nationwide. A pretty good seller in its time.
-- Paul

coaster1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  6:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Ten years ago I was the head writer (usually the only writer, truth be known) for a rail video company. We wound up producing a video ("Train Wrecks," I believe was the title -- how original!) using compiled newsreel footage from the 30s, 40s, 50s. It was a "quickie" production (I think we were addressing a cashflow problem at the time) and we were all more than a bit nervous about it. (I felt like Dracula writing the narration.)
It was released under the "Landmark" label and, last I heard, is still floating around a few LHS shelves nationwide. A pretty good seller in its time.
-- Paul

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  10:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Another wreck that cross my mind was the one my Grandfather was in.He worked on the PRR on the Panhandel Division( Columbus Oh-Pittsburgh Pa).This happen in 1944 on a foggy morning.
The train that was running ahead of my grandfather stopped due to a airhose problem,my Grandfather continued on his way to Pittsburgh after recieving permission by the stop and looking out ahead for the stopped train in front of his.Well,Grandpa to use his words got a little heavy on the throttle and got disorient on his location.The fog cleared just enough to see the marker lights of the cabin car (he said untill his dying day he never saw anything as large as that cabin car and markers)He threw on the brakes,whistle a warning and jump along with the fireman and head brakeman.The engine plowed into the cabin car destroyed it and then plowed into the freight cars,before over turning.Luckly no one was hurt or killed in this wreck.My Grandpa and the conductor and flagman of the hit train got suspended for 30days,however due to the war all was returned to duty in 3 days.The conductor was suspended for not having a flag out and the flagman for not doing his duty.Grandpa was dead wrong from the word go,as he should have not been speeding knowing a stopped train was ahead of his.

Larry
C&O FOR PROGRESS!

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  10:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Another wreck that cross my mind was the one my Grandfather was in.He worked on the PRR on the Panhandel Division( Columbus Oh-Pittsburgh Pa).This happen in 1944 on a foggy morning.
The train that was running ahead of my grandfather stopped due to a airhose problem,my Grandfather continued on his way to Pittsburgh after recieving permission by the stop and looking out ahead for the stopped train in front of his.Well,Grandpa to use his words got a little heavy on the throttle and got disorient on his location.The fog cleared just enough to see the marker lights of the cabin car (he said untill his dying day he never saw anything as large as that cabin car and markers)He threw on the brakes,whistle a warning and jump along with the fireman and head brakeman.The engine plowed into the cabin car destroyed it and then plowed into the freight cars,before over turning.Luckly no one was hurt or killed in this wreck.My Grandpa and the conductor and flagman of the hit train got suspended for 30days,however due to the war all was returned to duty in 3 days.The conductor was suspended for not having a flag out and the flagman for not doing his duty.Grandpa was dead wrong from the word go,as he should have not been speeding knowing a stopped train was ahead of his.

Larry
C&O FOR PROGRESS!

rhomeeyeball
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  11:39:47 AM  Show Profile
another one

See Ya'll
David

rhomeeyeball
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  11:39:47 AM  Show Profile
another one

See Ya'll
David

lazerman
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  02:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit lazerman's Homepage
Hey rail heads there is a book on the best Train Wrecks 100 years of rail catastrophes with 250 photos by Robert C.Reed ill have to scan some, lots of steam engines and some wild crashes my mom got it from barnes and nobles book store.

lazerrailways.com

Edited by - lazerman on 04/12/2003 02:05:19 AM

lazerman
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  02:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit lazerman's Homepage
Hey rail heads there is a book on the best Train Wrecks 100 years of rail catastrophes with 250 photos by Robert C.Reed ill have to scan some, lots of steam engines and some wild crashes my mom got it from barnes and nobles book store.

lazerrailways.com

Edited by - lazerman on 04/12/2003 02:05:19 AM

ChuckSomerville
New Hire

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChuckSomerville's Homepage
A more recent (and thus better documented but (sorry) not steam) crash - the result of a no-brakes-left downhill runaway, with the engineer riding it to the ultimate derailment at a curve (and surviving) can be found here...

http://www.cwrr.com/Lounge/Feature/runaway/trans.html

...including an edge-of-your-seat actual recording of the 20 minutes or so of radio traffic between the engineer and dispatchers.

The incident (and the aftermath and its impact on the engineer's career) makes fascinating reading (and listening).

The engineer survived this...

- Chuck Somerville

Edited by - ChuckSomerville on 09/02/2003 6:11:49 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Lost Engines of Roanoke Topic Next Topic: Request for Info  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000