Railroad Line Forums - Lidgerwood Skidder
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 158 ]  [ Total: 164 ]  [ Newest Member: prrfan59 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Lidgerwood Skidder
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Scratcjh-Bash oil refinery Topic Next Topic: Techniques
Page: of 2

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/11/2002 :  12:58:56 PM  Show Profile
I was inspired by Paul T's post a while back, making a steam donkey from a rifle shell and other junk. Just bought a book about West Virginia Logging that has a neat diagram of a Lidgerwood Skidder. Anybody have any plans, sketches, etc. that might help an ambitious scratchbuilder????

- Jack C

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  04:35:46 AM  Show Profile
Jack, the Lidgerwood tower skidders were hugh!! The towers alone were 100+ feet tall and that's measuring from the hinge up. Lyle Noah is doing an article on scratch building one in 'TimberTimes'.I have a plan for a smaller machine that I'll post when I find it.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  04:35:46 AM  Show Profile
Jack, the Lidgerwood tower skidders were hugh!! The towers alone were 100+ feet tall and that's measuring from the hinge up. Lyle Noah is doing an article on scratch building one in 'TimberTimes'.I have a plan for a smaller machine that I'll post when I find it.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  08:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Jack,
Hope this is what you want.

This machine is fairly small compared to a Lidgerwood or WIW unit but would fit a railroad loggign setting without being overpowering. If the tower was left off, a rigged spar tree can be used instead and it'll become a car unit.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  08:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Jack,
Hope this is what you want.

This machine is fairly small compared to a Lidgerwood or WIW unit but would fit a railroad loggign setting without being overpowering. If the tower was left off, a rigged spar tree can be used instead and it'll become a car unit.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
Jack, check the Reference Forum for the following:

Logging References, part 6, page 2

Logging References, part 7, page 1

Logging References, part 8, page 1

You'll find references to the Timber Times articles by Lyle Noah that Russ mentioned.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
Jack, check the Reference Forum for the following:

Logging References, part 6, page 2

Logging References, part 7, page 1

Logging References, part 8, page 1

You'll find references to the Timber Times articles by Lyle Noah that Russ mentioned.

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  11:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Good info, guys. Thanks.

Ol' Clyde Cableway Skidder looks like the way to go. Never noticed a 3 truck and 2 truck combined on the same car before....

The Lidgerwood 100 foot tower would be over a foot tall in HO !!! It would take a lot of square feet to make it look reasonable.

- Jack C

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  11:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Good info, guys. Thanks.

Ol' Clyde Cableway Skidder looks like the way to go. Never noticed a 3 truck and 2 truck combined on the same car before....

The Lidgerwood 100 foot tower would be over a foot tall in HO !!! It would take a lot of square feet to make it look reasonable.

- Jack C

Bucks Owin
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Here's a quote from the book "Logging Railroads of the West" by Kramer Adams. It describes a photo of the skidder: "Lidgerwood skidder and loader was the ultimate development in steam woods technology. This car mounted monster(photo)was used by Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. to load logs with a heel boom, skid logs on ground leads, haul logs through the air by means of the portable spar and jockey cars into loading position.....sometimes all at once". Quite a machine!

Bucks Owin
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Here's a quote from the book "Logging Railroads of the West" by Kramer Adams. It describes a photo of the skidder: "Lidgerwood skidder and loader was the ultimate development in steam woods technology. This car mounted monster(photo)was used by Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. to load logs with a heel boom, skid logs on ground leads, haul logs through the air by means of the portable spar and jockey cars into loading position.....sometimes all at once". Quite a machine!

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  1:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Too many neat things keep getting referenced in Timber Times, so now I'm a subscriber to that one, in addition to all the usual model rr mags. Maybe the mailman will install a narrow gauge line to my mailbox....

- Jack C

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  1:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Too many neat things keep getting referenced in Timber Times, so now I'm a subscriber to that one, in addition to all the usual model rr mags. Maybe the mailman will install a narrow gauge line to my mailbox....

- Jack C

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  2:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
quote:

- Jack C

You won't regret it, Jack. I received issue #28 in the mail two days ago. It's another goody

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  2:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
quote:

- Jack C

You won't regret it, Jack. I received issue #28 in the mail two days ago. It's another goody

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  7:13:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I agree. I got #28 last week. Every issue is a good one.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Scratcjh-Bash oil refinery Topic Next Topic: Techniques  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000