Railroad Line Forums - Where should a railroad go?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Where should a railroad go?
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Appalachian modeling: a link Topic Next Topic: Small layout gallery
Page: of 2

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  09:01:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Beside that, I don't know how my cat would get along with a ferret
Alan

I don't even want to contemplate that mixture

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

http://homepage.mac.com/michael21/CMS-RR-Co./

n/a
deleted

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile
Once in a while Mrs. remarks that if we built a new garage, I could have a finished second-floor train room there. I have thus far resisted the idea, mainly because of heating and humiditry concerns.

I also like being within earshot of the rest of the household when working on the railroad, and would prefer a finished basement for that reason.

Of course, that means jacking the house, excavating, and pouring concrete...an expensive train room! For now, I'll be happy with my 8x12 bedroom.

B-Dubya out -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Modelling the Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia Railway in HO

Inside every GE is an Alco trying to get out...apparently, through the exhaust stack!

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  10:18:55 AM  Show Profile
Mike, I didn't figger it would be a match made in heaven, especially since kitty has no claws. It would probably be over pretty quickly!

B-Dubya, I know what you're talking about. Although some would crave the escape to another building, in my opinion I would prefer to stay in contact with the rest of the household. At one time in our former house I had my computer down in the basement, and I felt very alone down there. My wife also complained about being a "computer widow", so we eventually moved it - you guessed it - into our bedroom. It's just good to be able to shout to one another and to occasionally see a real human being.

That being said, I have to confess I would love to have that 8 x 12 bedroom you have. I could do a lot in n-scale with that much space!

Hmmm... We have a 23 year old daughter and a soon-to-be 20 year old son still living with us. The temptation is there to begin urging them to test their wings and get out of the nest...

Nah, we get too much enjoyment from having them at home, so I'll just be content with my little corner for the railroad.

Alan

EshootsEscores
New Hire

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  12:59:51 PM  Show Profile
Alan. Here's the most important thing that I have learned through the building and ultimate destruction of many layouts that my father and I have done throughout my life. Build your layout in such a way that it can be easily dismantled ,moved and/or expanded upon.
After many hard lessons I have learned that nothing and no situation is ever permanant. Your lack of good space for a layout now can change in the blink of an eye (or more like a wink of an eye)
At any given moment one of your post adolescent children may meet their life's partner(or reasonable facsimile), and be married and gone before you can say "pre-nuptual agreement". But until then, why wait to get a start your layout? Just try to design something that can either be easily moved and stored, or something smaller that will be easily expanded upon. Small 2'x8' switching layouts are a great way to start. There's a lot going on in that small space and a switching layout can easily be spliced into a bigger layout at a later time. And don't forget the club option. Join a club, and I don't just mean the LENS club.
I have been trying to find out more about a club that has a layout in Middlefield, Oh. I hear they operate on wednesday nights but can't find who they are or where they operate from. I have actually become pretty disgusted with LENS lately and their direction (or lack thereof) they have been heading in. Let's just say I'm prime for a change.
I guess what I'm saying is that there is so much to model railroading to keep most of any one's interest. If you truly feel that you have reached the point of wanting to have a layout of your own. Go for it! Just carefully plan for your individual situation accordingly and Njoy!

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  12:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Aww, HockeyMeister, there you go bringing common sense into it again! I was perfectly satisfied with my trackplan (well, almost perfectly), and now you tell me I should design it so I can incorporate it into something larger.

It will probably be a while, since I don't see either of the remaining fledglings moving along soon, and when the first one goes he/she will probably be replaced by my wife's elderly aunt. But you are right, eventually both of the kids will probably want to set up housekeeping on their own, and most likely I can claim "dibs" on the vacated room.

So, as they say, I guess I'll go "back to the drawing board"...

As for the idea of joining a club, my biggest problem is that most of my evenings are committed elsewhere. That's why I have missed a couple of LENS meetings, so I don't think it makes sense for me to go in that direction. I don't mind that my home layout will be smallish, so long as it is available when I want to work on it or operate it.

Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad I finally got to meet you in person on Saturday.

Alan

Edited by - HopefulAlan on 07/01/2002 12:57:44

Edited by - HopefulAlan on 07/01/2002 13:00:34

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  07:02:23 AM  Show Profile
Now that I can post a picture, I'll say the layout belongs in the living room. Photo is a little rough, but you get the idea.

- Jack C

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  09:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Jack, mi amigo (I guess that's the influence from the Mexican railroading thread over on the Altas forum), that's absolutely fantastic! Great work

If you can get that much in that tiny a space, I know I will be delighted with the wall space I have been given. Just waiting now for the track and switches to arrive, and I will be under construction.

Thanks,
Alan

Edited by - HopefulAlan on 07/24/2002 16:07:36

EshootsEscores
New Hire

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  3:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Here's what you can get in a 4x8 foot area.

Attachment: layout01.GIF 333.04 KB

Attachment: layout02.GIF 296.61 KB

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  4:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Warren,

Good to hear from you!

Yes, admittedly you can get a lot of railroading into a 4 x 8 foot space, but that isn't the shape of the space I have been deeded. Mine just won't have room for turnarounds, hence no continuous running. I can live with that, since I will be operating a shortline that sees only local traffic anyway. That suits me just fine, although I wouldn't mind having to schedule my operations to coincide with other traffic. Maybe in a future scenario, eh?

Nice pics of your layout, and now I see that you have more than one vice - you're into RC boats, too!

Wonder what else lurks in that garage, hmmmm?

Alan

Glenn
New Hire

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  11:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Very nice coffee table layout; Jack.
Show some more photos!!

Glenn
New Hire

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  11:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Very nice coffee table layout; Jack.
Show some more photos!!

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:42:17 AM  Show Profile
Jack, I like the coffee table. Is that a rope light around the top edge?

My wife really hated the idea of having trains in the bedroom. She knows I'd want to bring guest in to show it off and that didn't work well for her. While it is small (a narrow shelf about 10' foot long) she has given me space in our dinning area. Condo life is not good for married model railroaders who have there 96 yr old grandfathers living with them and children planned on in the not too distant future. I agree that garage space isn't a good idea - so, Alan, if your wife has agreed to bedroom space and nothing else is available, I say go for it.

Blessings all,
Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:42:17 AM  Show Profile
Jack, I like the coffee table. Is that a rope light around the top edge?

My wife really hated the idea of having trains in the bedroom. She knows I'd want to bring guest in to show it off and that didn't work well for her. While it is small (a narrow shelf about 10' foot long) she has given me space in our dinning area. Condo life is not good for married model railroaders who have there 96 yr old grandfathers living with them and children planned on in the not too distant future. I agree that garage space isn't a good idea - so, Alan, if your wife has agreed to bedroom space and nothing else is available, I say go for it.

Blessings all,
Joe <><

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Appalachian modeling: a link Topic Next Topic: Small layout gallery  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000