Railroad Line Forums - Where should a railroad go?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Where should a railroad go?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Appalachian modeling: a link Topic Next Topic: Small layout gallery
Page: of 2

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  1:42:11 PM  Show Profile
A model railroad, that is. I had pretty much resigned myself to building my n-scale layout along two walls of our bedroom when another idea came to me. I thought I would toss the idea out to you more experienced modelers to see which way you would go if you were me.

My thought is to suspend the layout, which would be 12 by 4 feet, from the garage ceiling, and to lower it by some sort of winch arrangement. I know this has been done by others. The advantage, other than that it would get the layout out of the bedroom, is that I would wind up with almost double the square footage of available space. I picture putting a 2-sided backdrop down the middle so that in essence I would have two 12 by 2 foot areas for development.

I am largely concerned about climate and dust. I live in northeastern Ohio, and the temperature in the garage probably ranges from about 40 to 90 degrees f. Heating the area during the winter will be accomplished by using a propane-fired radiant heater when I am in the garage. Otherwise it is unheated.

The garage houses an automobile at night (after the trains get put away, if it comes to that ) and also serves as my workshop where I have my table saw, router table, etc. I have a dust collection system, but I am sure it misses a bunch of dust that winds up in the air.

That's the situation with which I am faced. If you were me, where would the railroad go?

Before you say it, no, putting it in another house is not a possibility

Alan

NYC
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  1:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Alan, one of my first layouts was in a garage, so I can tell you the cons:

1. track will expand and contract alot, especially in the winter, when you go out there and it is 40 and you turn on the heater, you will start with very large gaps and as the room heats up the gaps will go back to normal. in the summer if it gets too hot your joints will kink, especially any track layed in colder weather.

2. you will have to watch out for rodents, I had problems with a squirrel taking residence in my mountain. and mice also like mountains for homes.

3. dust is a serious problem in a garage, cars have a terrible tendency to bring in mud which dries into dirt, etc, if you keep your layout in the garage cover it.

4. freezing and thawing (if your garage gets that cold) also causes havoc with trees & buildings especially some kinds of glue.

5. bugs, especially spiders will love to make webs from tree to tree or other structures more so than in a house.

Saying all that and going through it once, I personally would not build in a garage unless I had no other choice.

Modeling the NYC railroad
(Not Yet Completed Railroad)

Phil

Edited by - nyc on 06/13/2002 19:37:34

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  5:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Alan, I agree with Phil on every point. And I'll add one more: humidity can be a real problem also. Especially if you tend to park wet (from rain) or snow/slush-covered cars in the garage. Just the moisture from a rain-dampened car can cause a significant rise in the room's humidity level - which in turn can have some real negative effects on a layout and models.

Building in a garage would be my last choice.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

http://homepage.mac.com/michael21/CMS-RR-Co./

billk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  6:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Alan, had enough yet? Here's another thing.

I can see it being a real problem keeping the layout level if you suspend it as you described. If you do, I'd suggest having some legs that you could fold down. Then, assuming you remove all rolling stock when not in use () you just need to worry about keeping it kinda level when winching it up and down.

Coloring outside the lines is more fun than inside them

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  9:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, gentlemen, you have convinced me.

I think Phil's reminding me of the realization that there are spiders aplenty in the garage would have been enough to kill the deal. I'm sure it would have been a major battle just trying to keep up with their "decorating".

Mike, thanks for the thought regarding moisture. I was unaware of the problems it might cause, but now I can see why you advised me as you do. Yes, it does snow up here occasionally, and that 40 degrees (plus the rise given by a warm engine) is enough to melt it, making a mess of the floor.

Bill, good point about the legs. I saw one fellow's website where he had a suspended layout. He lowered his onto 55-gallon drums, as I recall. Some sort of solid framing (I was thinking of aluminum angle for the perimiter) would have been needed, too, just to maintain adequate rigidity while keeping the weight down. I hadn't considered the necessity of removing all of the rolling stock, but if I didn't I imagine every car would be derailed every time I raised and lowered the layout. No winch system I could design would be smooth enough to prevent that.

So, all in all, while it would be nice to have the additional space and would make my wife a little happier, I have to agree that the garage layout doesn't make sense.

Beside that, I was having trouble coming up with a track plan I liked anyway.

Thanks, fellows, for leading me back to the realm of sanity...

Alan

EshootsEscores
New Hire

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  10:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alan! Howz it going?
Most of the above comments are right on the money to some degree.
My layout is in the garage. It is 4'x8'and portable on folding legs. I have not really had much of a humidity problem or track expansion. But I was careful when I laid my track. What is forcing me to build a room in my garage for the layout is dust. Lots of it. Problems with dirt and dust were bad enough. Then I switched to DCC and it is worse than ever.
I plan to build a semi-permanant 8'x12' room made of modular walls and a barn type door at the end to remove the layout for any future displays. I should have this done before the leaves fly this fall.

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile
My HO empire is in the garage. Same problems as described.

Varments, on the other hand, can be interesting. Seeing a 2-6-0 chase a roach out of a tunnel looked like a cheap horror movie. Sure wish I'd had the video camera handy!

- Jack C

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  9:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello Jack!

I think that counts as a "con" vote rather than "pro", although the prospect of witnessing similar animal acts on my railroad is attractive.

Thanks for the input.

Alan

NYC
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  07:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Jack,

I chases a squirrel out of my mountain once with a NYC Pacific almost on his tail, was a very interesting sight!!! until I saw that damage he did latter to the same mountain.Then I got a ferret, now we all know why Paul has them, no more squirrels or mice.

Phil

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  07:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Good idea there, Phil. We had a snake get into a bird box in the backyard this weekend. Wife also saw a mouse/rat near her flower potting room. Maybe a trip to "Ferrets R Us" is in order.

-Jack C

NYC
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  08:03:47 AM  Show Profile
Jack, what is really interesting is that I haven't had a Ferret for over 20 years but my father (who owns the house I had the garage layout in) still gets no critters in his garage, he has the cloth my ferret used for a bed hanging in his garage and I guess the odor of the ferret is still in it. Maybe Paul will ship you a towel!!

Phil

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys, we may be on to something here. Mix a little Extract of Ferret into various solutions (plaster, glues, paints) and permanently critter-proof your layout. Might have an attractive effect on cats, though. Maybe somebody with cats would be willing to have Extract of Ferret applied and report on the results....

Anybody have a source of Ferret extract????

- Jack C

NYC
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:05:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Hey guys, we may be on to something here. Mix a little Extract of Ferret into various solutions (plaster, glues, paints) and permanently critter-proof your layout. Might have an attractive effect on cats, though. Maybe somebody with cats would be willing to have Extract of Ferret applied and report on the results....

Anybody have a source of Ferret extract????

- Jack C

Oh Paul where are you????????????????????

Phil

Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  1:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Just thought of another potential concern. I'm in Georgia, and wintertime temperatures in the garage often hover in the 40 degree range (Them's is Fahrenheit degrees, not that Celsius stuff, nor even amount of angle stuff. ) Sometimes the Digitrax DCC system needs some time to warm up before it'll operate. Turn it on and nothing happens, let it sit with power on a few minutes, then a quick off-on cycle has always cured it. Guess them computer bytes can't take the cold...

-Jack C

Beeline
New Hire

Posted - 06/27/2002 :  4:37:33 PM  Show Profile
Alan
A while back I saw a article in a magazine or a book and the layout was built in a cabinet like a murphy bed against a wall, the lower doors 4' wide swung out to support the upper 4x8 drop down door that the track and structures were on, there were shelves behind both the lower doors for storage and the upper door for the locos and rolling stock used on the layout. The cabinet projected 12 - 15 inches out from the wall. It was built in the guys den and when closed it was a nice looking cabinet. maybe your wife could live with something like this in your bedroom. Hope this helps
Beeline

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  07:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beeline,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your suggestion!

I seem to remember seeing something like what you suggested several years ago, and for those who have no other alternative it does provide a solution for where to put a railroad that just won't fit.

In my case I am actually much better off than that. My wife has agreed to let me have most of two walls in the bedroom, which gives me 8' of length on one side and 12' on the other. It won't exactly be a shelf layout, although much of it will. The shorter side will have an irregular shape to it which will allow an interchange and a decent-sized yard. It has the extra advantage of allowing me to leave the trains on the tracks between operating sessions.

So, I really have no complaints about the space she has consented to let me use. One always looks for more space, of course, which is why I considered that a full 2'x 24'space would be more attractive (that would have been 4' x 12' with a center divider). The vast experience of the folks who have responded has convinced me that I would be much happier in this case with the bedroom layout.

Beside that, I don't know how my cat would get along with a ferret

Thanks again for the suggestion, and keep the good posts coming!

Alan

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Appalachian modeling: a link Topic Next Topic: Small layout gallery  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000