Railroad Line Forums - Porter 0-4-0 in HOn3 or HOn30!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 12 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: Seabee Don ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Porter 0-4-0 in HOn3 or HOn30!
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: accessing outlook express(email) on the road?? Topic Next Topic: Dont Bid on This!
Page: of 2

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Does anyone know where I can get this loco? It can be in kit or ready to run and it can be HOn3 or HOn30. Help apreciated.

Just a fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  09:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Railway Recollections makes a kit in HOn30 for a Porter 0-6-0 in saddle tank and a side tank versions. I've never built one, but it looks like it fits the Bachmann N scale 0-6-0 mechanism. It might even work with Bachmann's 0-4-0 mechanism.

http://www.railway-recollections.com/

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Thanks Jeff, I'm aware of the Railways Recolections offer but unfortunately their product isn't very good in terms of detail and as you rigtly told it's a 0-6-0 although if I don't have any other option I might have a try at it.

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by nalmeida
Does anyone know where I can get this loco? It can be in kit or ready to run and it can be HOn3 or HOn30. Help apreciated.

Nelson,

on another forum I suggested to start with a Backwoods Miniatures Sn3 kit. For a S scale model, this engine is very small. So it can be converted to a larger HO scale engine. I once heard a rumour that Sierra West used to sell these as HOn3 versions in the past.

http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/

In case you're interested I could contact a friend and ask him to take direct measurements.

Regards
Martin

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile

Hi Nelson ,

Here is the story as I know it . Back in 2000 Sierra West offerred an HOn3 Porter in 3 levels of finish . The job fell to Keith Wiseman to build them . He was unable to build them very quickly and in the end the offer fizzled out . I had one on order and waited two years and in the end I had some other kits in lieu . I later found out that Brett obtained the kits from Backwoods Miniatures and had them built in the States . In the end I bought my kit direct from Backwoods and had Paul Doherty of Rickety Rails build it for me . However , it was not a kit he enjoyed building and I couldn't say whether he would build any more . I also ended up paying a lot less than I was going to .
So there is your answer give Pete McParlin a call and see if he is still producing the kit .

Here are a couple of shots of mine , one with the Bachmann On30 version to compare it with .

NickO

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Nelson,

You might try watching eBay. Every so often onw of the Joe Works kits comes up for sale. I have no idea how well they run. I have heard both good and bad things about them. I have not checked lately but 6 months ago I was checking fairly regularly and there seemd to be one or two show up every two or three weeks.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

Edited by - rrkreitler on 07/18/2006 10:51:20 AM

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rrkreitler

Nelson,

You might try watching eBay. Every so often onw of the Joe Works kits comes up for sale. I have no idea how well they run. I have heard both good and bad things about them. I have not checked lately but 6 months ago I was checking fairly regularly and there seemd to be one or two show up every two or three weeks.

I have a Joe Works Porter that ran nice after some fiddling. But then their detail level is far from the Backwoods engine. So I disassembled it and never finished the detailing project

Regards,
Martin

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  2:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Thanks a lot for your help guys, I'll keep an eye on ebay. Nick, thanks for the insight on Brett's Porter, I'll give a call to Pete, he's a great guy so I might get lucky.

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  02:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

Here are a couple of shots of mine , one with the Bachmann On30 version to compare it with .

NickO

Nick,

is that a HOn3 version or standard gauge? Do you happen to have a photo that shows the HO scale porter next to some narrow gauge rolling stock etc. for size comparison?

I'd like to find how such a conversion would turn out before ordering stuff from Pete.

Regards
Martin

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  03:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
Nelson,

The Bachmann Docksider loco might make a good starting point, even though the wheelbase is a little short.

A gentleman from the UK (whom I've never dealt with) offers a remotoring kit for a b'mann docksider (N-scale 0-4-0). here's his site http://www.geocities.com/nigellawton009/VeeTipper.html

Also, there was an article in the NG&SLG a while back about regauging the b'mann docksider to HOn3 gauge as well. I'll try to have a look for it some time next week (I'm very busy these days).

Hope this helps,

Cody

Edited by - acousticco on 07/19/2006 03:20:55 AM

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  04:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

Nelson,

The Bachmann Docksider loco might make a good starting point, even though the wheelbase is a little short.

A gentleman from the UK (whom I've never dealt with) offers a remotoring kit for a b'mann docksider (N-scale 0-4-0). here's his site http://www.geocities.com/nigellawton009/VeeTipper.html

Also, there was an article in the NG&SLG a while back about regauging the b'mann docksider to HOn3 gauge as well. I'll try to have a look for it some time next week (I'm very busy these days).

This was the article in question:

N + "Enginuity" = HOn3
Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette, January/February 2000 page 38
Re-gauging Bachmann N scale mechanisms

It's relatively easy to do that conversion by pulling out the wheels and bending the wipers.

The quality of the Bachmann Docksiders varies a lot, so I'd be reluctant to recommend that conversion.

Another option for a 0-4-0 drive is Backwoods Miniatures. They offer a standalone drive for the Bagnall 0-4-0 that can be converted to HOn3 with a ittle metal working skill. One of my projects in progress (for much too long) is a 0-4-0 based on this drive and a resin superstructure from a Canadian company, (sorry, I can't remember the name ).

Regards
Martin

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  4:39:29 PM  Show Profile

Martin ,

Here is a rather bad shot of my Porter with a Sierra West HOn3 Blacksmith's car and an HOn3 2 Truck Shay , and ,yes, the Porter is HOn3 as well .

Hope this helps to make your mind up ,

NickO

I'll post the photo in a minute as I can't be bothered to re-type this message in the correct box !

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  4:40:51 PM  Show Profile

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  02:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

Here is a rather bad shot of my Porter with a Sierra West HOn3 Blacksmith's car and an HOn3 2 Truck Shay , and ,yes, the Porter is HOn3 as well .

Nick,

thanks for the photo. My personal impression is that this looks like a rather big but still in scale engine.

Maybe it's time to send an order out.

Regards
Martin

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  1:33:42 PM  Show Profile

Martin ,

I'm inclined to agree with you , but as it was so much hassle to get hold of , and the chances of finding something that looks 100% right are slim , I'll stick with what I've got . Besides , I'm not really the sort that "plays Train" , I'd be happy with a Thomas the Tank Engine as long as it ran and was weathered properly !

NickO

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  7:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message
A couple years back a friend was able to get me this loco in kit form. I just found out that it's the same one SW sold as well as all the other information mentioned above. I'm currently in the process of building it and love it!!! I wish I had more, and more time to work on it! I'm adding a bunch of details I just got. Here's what it looks like so far:

I've been stalling on installing the decoder. I was thinking of trying to fit a sound chip in but it's just a tiny bit too small.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: accessing outlook express(email) on the road?? Topic Next Topic: Dont Bid on This!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000