Railroad Line Forums - Ragland Road from Bar Mills - New Kit.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 45 ]  [ Total: 53 ]  [ Newest Member: Billett-man ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Ragland Road from Bar Mills - New Kit.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Monday morning the heat is ON Topic Next Topic: From argentina:Can anyone help him ??
Page: of 4

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  3:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message
Hi guys,

Here are some photos of the new kit from Bar Mills coming out this fall. While visiting the booth I got the chance to meet Jim Mooney which was a nice pleasure.
Chuck D. posted some additional photos in the NMRA thread that might want to be incorperated with this thread. I will let a moderator do that if they see fit.

The price of the kit at the show was 250.00. It sounds like the kit will be available late this fall.

A couple of interesting things in the kit. The sign for the pharmacy is etched or cut out of metal. It really gives a nice appearance. Its hard to see but there are corbels at the top of the building and also decorative trim work.

The triangle flags are included in the kit and they are all precut in one piece. I thought it would be very fragile but as Jim M. pointed out, they were pretty tough.

You can see the gingerbread trim much better on the back building.

The hand is not included in the kit as it belongs to Jim Mooney.

The wash hung out on the line is all cut and ready to install as well. The red brick wall is plastic in the prototype but in the kit it will be hydrocal.

The last photo is an overall shot of the diorama, but right in the middle between the two buildings there is a terrific casting that will come with the kit. Block walls with piles of junk. Of course I did not take a good photo of that. Perhaps Chuck or someone else might have one to share with us.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  4:34:51 PM  Show Profile
hi Guys:

Peter Pools and Postal Karl purchased their kits at the National Train Show. We had to have them.

Karl & Peter

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  4:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Karl,
Does this mean that we can be expecting some swell construction photos soon?

John

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  5:22:45 PM  Show Profile
Tim, thanks for those pictures. The guys at Bar Mills have been coming up with some new and creative ideas for their kits. I'm sure this one will sell out in no time.

As you think, so will you be.

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  5:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Have been waiting to see this kit. Will call Art next week to put in my order. I did see some similarities between the Furniture Co. and their previous kit, the Shipyard Brewing. Art has been coming on strong with beautiful Craftsman kits. Thank you for those photos.

Bill (Swede)

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  10:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Tim, thanks for sharing these pictures! Yep, gotta have one for myself! I wonder if down the road Art would consider selling those little flags/pennants separately...they are perfect to go on a used car lot! Anyway, lots of character in this kit.

s carpenter
New Hire

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  10:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning,
I've never posted on the forum before, so I hope this turns out OK. I've
been soaking up all the info here that I could for the past couple of years and
cannot say how grateful I am for all the great pictures and willingness of the
members to help others.
This morning I called Art at Bar Mills to order Ragland Road and he said
please call back after mid week. He said that he appreciated everyone's
enthusiasm but he is totally exhausted. I am in no way affiliated with his
company, as I build homes and cabinets, for a living. I mentioned that how
favorable the comments were on the forum last evening, and he requested that
I post this. He said to just give him a few days and he would be ready to go.

Steve
Staunton, Va.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  10:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Steve for the headsup.

Glad to hear things are going well at Bar Mills.

Also nice to see you getting past that first post. I look forward to you joining in. It really is one of the best forums going for MRR's

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I posted my photos of this kit on the NMRA convention thread. I thought I would post them here, to supplement what Tim posted:

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  11:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Tim and Chuck,

Thanks for posting all those great photos of the new Bar Mills kit Raglan Road.

That diorama sure looks great. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the fabulous modeling of Jim Mooney. Plenty of detail, fore-, middle- and background. Does anyone have an approximate size for the diorama? It seems deep with all the buildings and two tracks to boot. The 3-D signage is a great detail, characteristic of Arty's fine model manufactury.

At the moment I feel like I gotta have it...

Stevie O'

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile
Has there been any mention of these buildings being made available as seperate kits?

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  11:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Russ, No, Art did not mention marketing them as separate kits.

BTW, the inspiration for the pharmacy came from the movie, "The Sting". Evidentally, there is a scene in the movie which shows this structure.

And, yes, Jim Mooney built the diorama. I didn't note the dimensions.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/

Jim Mooney
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile
If my memory serves me it's about 18" deep and 18 " wide
The Furniture Co. is 9.5" wide, and 11.5" wide with the end loading dock. It's 1-3/4" wide on the narrow end and about 4-1/2" wide on the wide end (it's wedge shaped) Right now the tower is 6-1/2" tall, but I may make the production a little taller. (you can always chop it down if you want...)
The Pharmacy(left hand side)is about 3-1/2" in both dimensions and about 5" tall
Skinners salvage (no...it wasn't named after the FSM Skinners...)is 2" wide by 3.5" deep and about 5" tall
HH (Hubcap heaven...and yes there will hubcaps on the production kit...right now it looks like tire heaven....) is about 3-14" by 2" and 2" tall.
BTW... a new Moose will be out in a couple days...we just got the diorama done in Sam Parkers house the night before the show (thanks Sam) and Art hasn't had a chance to take any photo's yet...

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  2:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jim, I know Art is tired from the show and all. Did he mention anything about the Contest being in the next issue of the Moose? Just curious .

Jim Mooney
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile
no, but I'll remind him about it...

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  5:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage
I ordered a copy of Raglan's at the show on Friday. Both Art and Jim seemed to be very proud of the kit and they both walked Sean and I through all the neat innovations - the engraved sign on the pharmacy is really neat. I guess I'll have to finish Gritty's before I start this kit!. Art mentioned shipping might occur as early as October but this wasn't a promise - I'm hoping to get the kit by late December - anything earlier is an "extra". I like that the structures in the Raglan's kit are independent of one another, which allows for more creativity in both construction and display.

Art quizzed me on the extent to which I plan to build the kit or re-sell it in the "after-market" on e-bay. Art seemed concerned that more and more people seem to buy the kits to flip them rather than to build them. While I am slow, I plan to build my kit! Just to follow-up on Art's question to the forum - how many people plan to build their copy of Raglans?

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Monday morning the heat is ON Topic Next Topic: From argentina:Can anyone help him ??  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000