Railroad Line Forums - Famous Hobos
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 12 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Famous Hobos
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A Damp and Dreary Sunday Morning Topic Next Topic: I Need A Blast!!  

BobTail
New Hire

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  09:14:31 AM  Show Profile
I heard that Merle Haggard used to be a hobo. I tried to research it but no dice. Anyone know of any other famous hobos?
"...and lead us not, into Penn Station..."

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  09:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Lee Marvin as 'The Emperor of the North'?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  09:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
American author Jack London (Call of the Wild, White Fang, "To Build a Fire," etc.). In addition to being a hobo, he also shipped out as a merchant sailor, was an oyster pirate, and ran with a gang of San Francisco street thugs. All before he was 19 years old! As a hobo, he rode the rails all the way across the U. S. and back.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  09:44:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hudsonelectric

Lee Marvin as 'The Emperor of the North'?

For that matter...Keith Carradine.

Scott

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:18:06 AM  Show Profile
The Doll says I dress like one most of the time.

billb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:47:22 PM  Show Profile
I know of 4 Famous Hobos.

1)Box Car Willie
2)William Charles Burge(My Grandfather) and his 2 brothers,'Slim' Jackson and Burris Burge.

Now you know why I like trains so much.It's in the genes!

Have a good one.

Bill Burge
Marion,Iowa

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  05:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message
Clark Gable, hard to believe, but true. There was also a Rockafellor I think.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  05:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Woodie Guthrie rode the rods several times. He was a folk singer of the forties, whom Hollywood would make a movie about. His son, Arlo, would record "City of New Orleans" which is one of the best renditions of the Train of the same name

John

jay_imok
New Hire

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  07:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Joel McCrea & Veronica Lake in 'Sullivan's Travels"

Scotti Burns, West Kingston, Rhode Island

oh brother.... where art thou...?

Pygar
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  10:22:15 PM  Show Profile
You guys got me interested in hobos... here's the best thing I found on the net about the life. I love the chapter in which he tells about being run off the same train over and over until they finally gave up and let him ride!

http://www.jacklondons.net/writings/TheRoad/toc.html

painter62
New Hire

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile
This topic has peaked my interest. I remember when I was a kid in the 40's, several times rather scruffy men came to our door. Mom gave them cans of food and they left right away. They were quite polite and thankful. At the corner of our street, we would see chalk markings on the sidewalk that I know we kids did not put there. Strange symbols. Mom explained that the symbols were put there by men looking for "help".

I was wondering. Does this still go on? In today's society, I wonder how many people would feel comfortable opening their door to a "scruffy", unknown individual. I know I would have second thoughts - especially here in Phoenix(high crime rate).

I found a website with a list of movies and books on this subject that I thought some of you might find interesting. Sorry about the long URL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_and_films_about_hobos_and_freighthopping

GaryQ

PS. Do Emmitt Kelly's "Wearie Willie" and Red Skelton's "Freddy the Freeloader" count? Or for that matter, Charlie Chaplin's "little Tramp" ? {I'm not dating myself much, am I?}

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile
It must have been pretty tough going as a hobo in the early days of railroading. Laying across truss rods really doesn't appeal to me. And if you were lucky to find a empty box car to ride in you always had to worry about the brakeman beating the crap out of you or/and throwing you off a moving train. I'll settle for the sleeping car, thank you

John

Previous Topic: A Damp and Dreary Sunday Morning Topic Next Topic: I Need A Blast!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000