Railroad Line Forums - 1:48 Standard Gauge Question
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 13 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: RdgRob ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 1:48 Standard Gauge Question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 2 level layout with helix Topic Next Topic: Track code question  

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage
I am considering using a standard gauge flatcar as a bridge on my On30 layout. My layout
is based on the soapstone business in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, and a flatcar
is actually being used as a bridge in a soapstone mill complex in Schuyler, VA. That
particular car is 40 feet long with fishbelly sills, so that is what I am thinking of.

I would not need trucks or couplers, so a kit that comes less t/c would be ideal. I would
build the kit without the deck planking, so the framework would show between the ties.

I am not familiar with what is available, or which O scale flatcar kits can be built w/o the
deck, and have prototypical framework.

Thanks for any assistance,

Mark Chase
Richmond VA
Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Sounds to me like you know EXACTLY what you want so, why not scratch build it? Just a thought.

Rob

Obedience Is Victory. Victory Is Life. Today Is A Good Day To Die.

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Sounds to me like you know EXACTLY what you want so, why not scratch build it? Just a thought.

Rob

Obedience Is Victory. Victory Is Life. Today Is A Good Day To Die.

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and how well/nicely detailed you want it to be, and how much time you want to spend on it. On the expensive,well detailed, lots of assembly and some custom fab. end, you might want to consider the San Juan O-std ga. steel frame boxcar....no"fisbelly" (?) sides, but "fishbelly" (?) ctr. sills and straight steel sides (San Juan my u make an On3 steel D&RGW flat...I am not sure (as I can't stand Coloradao railroads)...but I do think I have seen a kit). On the OK detailing, reasonable cost, easy to assemble and easy to add parts/details to if wanted/needed I would look at the kits from Intermountain...I haven't built or used any of their flats.....but I did buy and start one their 10,000 gal riveted steel tank car for my logging road...and I am quite happy with the kit as a solid base/starting point. On the low end of the spectrum, you can look at Red-Ball (?) or K-Line....however I am not sure if these are kits...I think their stuff is all preassembled, and I personally feel K-line is cr--...looks like something the 3 rail guys would play with on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and how well/nicely detailed you want it to be, and how much time you want to spend on it. On the expensive,well detailed, lots of assembly and some custom fab. end, you might want to consider the San Juan O-std ga. steel frame boxcar....no"fisbelly" (?) sides, but "fishbelly" (?) ctr. sills and straight steel sides (San Juan my u make an On3 steel D&RGW flat...I am not sure (as I can't stand Coloradao railroads)...but I do think I have seen a kit). On the OK detailing, reasonable cost, easy to assemble and easy to add parts/details to if wanted/needed I would look at the kits from Intermountain...I haven't built or used any of their flats.....but I did buy and start one their 10,000 gal riveted steel tank car for my logging road...and I am quite happy with the kit as a solid base/starting point. On the low end of the spectrum, you can look at Red-Ball (?) or K-Line....however I am not sure if these are kits...I think their stuff is all preassembled, and I personally feel K-line is cr--...looks like something the 3 rail guys would play with on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Marc

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  8:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage
One of the ON30 layouts at Kimberton last year used an old lionel flat car as a bridge.

Hank

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  8:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage
One of the ON30 layouts at Kimberton last year used an old lionel flat car as a bridge.

Hank

Previous Topic: 2 level layout with helix Topic Next Topic: Track code question  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000