Railroad Line Forums - Red Caboose X-29 Lehigh & New England Boxcars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Rossyuk ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Red Caboose X-29 Lehigh & New England Boxcars
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic: Building flat from Walthers Red Wing Mill kits  

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  07:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
OK, here are some photos of one of my new RTR Red Caboose X-29 LNE boxcars.

I have two boxcars. These are the first Red Caboose products that I own.

I donít know how prototypically correct they are but first impression is they are nice cars. The lettering on the cars is some of the crispest I have ever seen. The detail parts seem to be well made and attached. I did not find anything loose. The cars seem to be weighted correctly (I forgot to put them on a scale).

My only complaints are the price $29.95 each and the fact that the couplers are plastic with metal springs. You would think at the price they are charging they could give you Kadees.

I need to run them some and check and see how easy it will be to replace the existing couplers with Kadee couplers.

More reports coming.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Edited by - TomPM on 10/26/2005 08:09:03 AM

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  08:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Nice looking car Tom. For the money I'd hope ride nice. I assume you'll be weathering them and posting pics of the process so I look forward to seeing what you do.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  08:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Nice looking car Tom. For the money I'd hope ride nice. I assume you'll be weathering them and posting pics of the process so I look forward to seeing what you do.

Joe <><

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Tom:

I have tons of cars from these manufacturers. The couplers work just fine. So what I tend to do is to use them the way they come and if something breaks then I would fix it. Haven't had a problem yet. And some of my trains are 20 cars long. I've had no broken couplers or for that matter pull aparts. So for what it's worth it it ain't broke don't fix it. Just my two cents.

Karl S.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Tom:

I have tons of cars from these manufacturers. The couplers work just fine. So what I tend to do is to use them the way they come and if something breaks then I would fix it. Haven't had a problem yet. And some of my trains are 20 cars long. I've had no broken couplers or for that matter pull aparts. So for what it's worth it it ain't broke don't fix it. Just my two cents.

Karl S.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Very nice!

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Very nice!

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  1:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Karl

Notice I didnít put a time limit on when I was going to change them. I am like you in that I try not to look for trouble. It has a nasty habit of finding me. If the coupler had a plastic spring, a Bachmann EZ-Mate, it would come out before use. I have had nothing but problems with the EZ-Mate couplers with the plastic spring (if you can call it a spring). Since this one has the metal it is on a low priority and most likely wonít happen until it is necessary. Right now the pile of Kadee couplers on the workbench are spoken for. I would still like to know how hard it is to change.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  1:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Karl

Notice I didnít put a time limit on when I was going to change them. I am like you in that I try not to look for trouble. It has a nasty habit of finding me. If the coupler had a plastic spring, a Bachmann EZ-Mate, it would come out before use. I have had nothing but problems with the EZ-Mate couplers with the plastic spring (if you can call it a spring). Since this one has the metal it is on a low priority and most likely wonít happen until it is necessary. Right now the pile of Kadee couplers on the workbench are spoken for. I would still like to know how hard it is to change.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  9:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Tom
I have a number of Red Caboose products. The detail and quality are excellent and a very good value for the money. Old habits are hard to break and on this one, i'm on the other side of the fence then Karl S. I use almost nothing but Kadee couplers and wheel sets. Love the way they look, sound and operate. Can't picture ever changing.
Peter

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  9:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Tom
I have a number of Red Caboose products. The detail and quality are excellent and a very good value for the money. Old habits are hard to break and on this one, i'm on the other side of the fence then Karl S. I use almost nothing but Kadee couplers and wheel sets. Love the way they look, sound and operate. Can't picture ever changing.
Peter

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
That's a GREAT looking car, BTW. I like the X-29 design...it's a welcome break from the 1938 AAR boxcar. I'm a BEEEEEEG fan of Red Caboose kits...they're the official boxcar builder of the Hudson Electric RR! The $30.00 price tag for RTR of that detail level is pretty much entry level and it goes up from there into the $40.00 range now being set by Kadee's RTR. I'm going to check out the Red Caboose website...they will sell directly to modelers and I've ordered from them before. Might have to get one myself!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
That's a GREAT looking car, BTW. I like the X-29 design...it's a welcome break from the 1938 AAR boxcar. I'm a BEEEEEEG fan of Red Caboose kits...they're the official boxcar builder of the Hudson Electric RR! The $30.00 price tag for RTR of that detail level is pretty much entry level and it goes up from there into the $40.00 range now being set by Kadee's RTR. I'm going to check out the Red Caboose website...they will sell directly to modelers and I've ordered from them before. Might have to get one myself!

Topic Next Topic: Building flat from Walthers Red Wing Mill kits  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000