Railroad Line Forums - Genesis of a new layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: wstrouse ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Genesis of a new layout
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Whats the best way to clean wheels and lube Topic Next Topic: Got Kits?  

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile
I have been doing spending the last couple of weeks doing research on a new layoutÖ..in HO scale. I am not abandoning On30; I will keep working on the SJLC as well.

I looked through my old issues of MR, and found that the layout articles that captured my interest the most were narrow gauge (of course), and transition era standard gauge. No offense to you modern guys out there, but a pair of SD90MACs pulling 125 trailers at 70 mph doesnít do a thing for me.

I bought an inexpensive Branchline boxcar to see if I can still work well in HO. I recently got glasses and I had to spend the whole assembly time wearing my optivisor, but it came out better than the P2K cars I built before switching to On30.

The SP was my favorite prototype line, and back when I drove truck cross-country, my favorite area was along rt. 101 in central California. Using sanborn maps, I found maps of an area I had been called Gilroy. I now have maps of Gilroy drawn in 1943, which is about 10 years before my target era, but acceptable to me.

Proto:87 is a concept for HO modeling Iíve been following for a couple of years now and while itís not for everyone, it does seem to be right for me. The SJLC is only 16 sq. feet and it took me the better part of 18 months to get it to the basic scenery stage itís at now. I work very slowly.

For me model railroading is more about the model than the railroading part. Iím perfectly happy to spend hours detailing an inch of track, even though it may be years before a train even moves under itís own power over it. I hand laid the track on the SJLC, and found that I liked doing it. With the new products available in P:87, hand laid track can look as good or better than commercial track. http://www.proto87stores.com/p87stores/frtrck.htm#ULTIM

I have a track plan, thanks to those sanborn maps. I just have to fit it into my space. I have a prototype and a timeframe. There are plenty of cars available from Sunshine, Westerfield, F&C, and many others. Early diesels from nearly everyone. The only thing missing is an SP 2-6-0 in P:87, which Iíll have to scratchbuild. No one is ever going to manufacture one.

Iíll keep my progress updated here, although it may be 10 to 15 years before itís ready for Ďmagazineí type photos.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  12:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey Steve,

Starting a new layout, in whatever scale, is always an exciting time. It's interesting that you are modeling Gilroy, the "Garlic Capitol of the World." That should make for some interesting traffic when you eventually get to that point.

You're probably safe using the Sanborn maps; in comparing Sanborn maps from 1930 with more modern maps for Wadley, Georgia, I found that the trackage and structures didn't change all that much.

Regarding the SP mogul in P:87, many years ago, PFM had an SP mogul (I forget the class) with a Vandy tender. If it's close to what yoou're looking for, maybe you could find one on eBay and backshop it to P:87 standards.

Keep us posted on your progress.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  12:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey Steve,

Starting a new layout, in whatever scale, is always an exciting time. It's interesting that you are modeling Gilroy, the "Garlic Capitol of the World." That should make for some interesting traffic when you eventually get to that point.

You're probably safe using the Sanborn maps; in comparing Sanborn maps from 1930 with more modern maps for Wadley, Georgia, I found that the trackage and structures didn't change all that much.

Regarding the SP mogul in P:87, many years ago, PFM had an SP mogul (I forget the class) with a Vandy tender. If it's close to what yoou're looking for, maybe you could find one on eBay and backshop it to P:87 standards.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Steve, congratulations on starting another layout. I have seen a couple of pictures posted of layouts using proto 87 standards and have always admired the track work. I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

As you think, so will you be.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Steve, congratulations on starting another layout. I have seen a couple of pictures posted of layouts using proto 87 standards and have always admired the track work. I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

As you think, so will you be.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Good luck, please keep us posted

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Good luck, please keep us posted

Mike

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  8:14:40 PM  Show Profile
A source of info that you might find is the public library in or near Gilroy. I really hit the mother lode on my favorite area quite by accident recently. With the internet there are loads of groups placing pictures and info in random fashion that sometimes crosses interst with modelers. I found pictures of downtown Springfield, Mo. while looking for info on SL-SF engine 1522. Seems a group oin Springfield had collected and donated engine photos which are now posted by the library. From there it led to lots of photos of spots around town. Never know where good stuff may show up.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  8:14:40 PM  Show Profile
A source of info that you might find is the public library in or near Gilroy. I really hit the mother lode on my favorite area quite by accident recently. With the internet there are loads of groups placing pictures and info in random fashion that sometimes crosses interst with modelers. I found pictures of downtown Springfield, Mo. while looking for info on SL-SF engine 1522. Seems a group oin Springfield had collected and donated engine photos which are now posted by the library. From there it led to lots of photos of spots around town. Never know where good stuff may show up.

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  9:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Steve, thanks for the info on the maps. it's good to know things probably didn't change that much.

Also Gilroy was known for prunes during that time too. Quite a combo: prunes and garlic

I'll keep an eye out for the mogul, it shouldn't be too diffucult to rework.

I've found a lot of info online about Gilroy but I'll have to contact the chamber of commerce, library , and historical society.

This depot is what got me on the trail of Gilroy.
http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/structures_ca/art_fisher_sp-depot-gilroy.jpg

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  9:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Steve, thanks for the info on the maps. it's good to know things probably didn't change that much.

Also Gilroy was known for prunes during that time too. Quite a combo: prunes and garlic

I'll keep an eye out for the mogul, it shouldn't be too diffucult to rework.

I've found a lot of info online about Gilroy but I'll have to contact the chamber of commerce, library , and historical society.

This depot is what got me on the trail of Gilroy.
http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/structures_ca/art_fisher_sp-depot-gilroy.jpg

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  03:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Steve,

It looks like you have done your homework and are ready to commit for the long-haul. Having grown up in the North Bay Area, SP was THE line.

The SP was the line that delivered all of the freight to the Mare Island Naval Shipyard engines of which my father would occasionally operate. The ATSF also ran some trains, mostly passenger as I recall, but they ran on tracks a ways South of Vallejo, and into Pinole and South of there.

I know that Gilroy is quite a ways from the Bay Area, but I'm sure that you will enjoy modelling the SP along Hwy #101, in Gilroy and its surrounding areas.

BTW, that's some really nice looking track; I wish I had the patience and time for that. I will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

quote:
Originally posted by On30fan

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  03:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Steve,

It looks like you have done your homework and are ready to commit for the long-haul. Having grown up in the North Bay Area, SP was THE line.

The SP was the line that delivered all of the freight to the Mare Island Naval Shipyard engines of which my father would occasionally operate. The ATSF also ran some trains, mostly passenger as I recall, but they ran on tracks a ways South of Vallejo, and into Pinole and South of there.

I know that Gilroy is quite a ways from the Bay Area, but I'm sure that you will enjoy modelling the SP along Hwy #101, in Gilroy and its surrounding areas.

BTW, that's some really nice looking track; I wish I had the patience and time for that. I will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

quote:
Originally posted by On30fan

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Previous Topic: Whats the best way to clean wheels and lube Topic Next Topic: Got Kits?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000