Railroad Line Forums - P2K help needed
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 21 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 191 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 P2K help needed
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Got Kits? Topic Next Topic: Baggage Car Fever!
Page: of 2

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:32:16 PM  Show Profile
I recently purchased a new P2K Gp-18 off of E-Bay. When I set it on the tracks, the engine runs fine. However, the front truck is sort of jumping, and it sounds like it has a flat tire.

I pulled the lead truck off, totally dis-assembled it to make sure that there wasn't a piece of foam packing or something in the gears. Everything checks out OK. The gears are greased, have all their teeth, are in round, etc. The wheels don't appear to have a flat spot on them, and they were in guage. I swapped the truck out with a truck from a different engine, and it runs fine.

So... this tells me that the problem is in the truck. I have tried everything I can think of, but this thing simply bounces along and makes a heck of a "thud-thud" as it rolls along. Sounds just like a flat tire on a car.

Anyone else ever run into this? How did you solve it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  5:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

Some of our club members have had problems with older P2K locos after they had them for a while. They called P2K and they replaced the wheel sets. You might give them a call and tell them your problem. They seem to be a customer friendly company.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  5:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

Some of our club members have had problems with older P2K locos after they had them for a while. They called P2K and they replaced the wheel sets. You might give them a call and tell them your problem. They seem to be a customer friendly company.

George

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:16:14 PM  Show Profile
One thought that I have found might help. You say you checked the wheels and they are in gauge. It might be you have already checked but did you roll the axle around to check for wheels in gauge at several spots? What I have found is that they can be in gauge in one spot when they are not truly parallel all the way round. Bent axle or perhaps just one wheel crooked will make a clunking noise as it runs. Also you might want to look carefully at the drive shaft and where they fit together that might be a part that you moved when swapping trucks. One not lined up just as the other is so that there might be some binding?

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:16:14 PM  Show Profile
One thought that I have found might help. You say you checked the wheels and they are in gauge. It might be you have already checked but did you roll the axle around to check for wheels in gauge at several spots? What I have found is that they can be in gauge in one spot when they are not truly parallel all the way round. Bent axle or perhaps just one wheel crooked will make a clunking noise as it runs. Also you might want to look carefully at the drive shaft and where they fit together that might be a part that you moved when swapping trucks. One not lined up just as the other is so that there might be some binding?

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage
This is definitely the cracked axle problem that a lot of P2K locomotives have. Call LifeLike and they will send you replacement wheel sets for free.

David

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage
This is definitely the cracked axle problem that a lot of P2K locomotives have. Call LifeLike and they will send you replacement wheel sets for free.

David

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
Keep in mind Life Like is now Walthers.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
Keep in mind Life Like is now Walthers.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:50:08 PM  Show Profile
I took the wheelset to our NMRA division meeting tonight, and a friend looked at it for me (he is one of the most knowledgable fellows I know...). He found a hairline crack on the small gear that the axle fits into. The crack is parallel to the teeth, and between the teeth of the gear. Almost invisible to the naked eye. Sounds like you guys were correct and a call to LL in the a.m is in order. Thanks so much for your input, you guys are great!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:50:08 PM  Show Profile
I took the wheelset to our NMRA division meeting tonight, and a friend looked at it for me (he is one of the most knowledgable fellows I know...). He found a hairline crack on the small gear that the axle fits into. The crack is parallel to the teeth, and between the teeth of the gear. Almost invisible to the naked eye. Sounds like you guys were correct and a call to LL in the a.m is in order. Thanks so much for your input, you guys are great!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Mike,I had to replace the gears in all of my P2K GP7/9/30s..29 total.This link might be helpful.

http://www.nmra.org.au/Hints/P2K/P2K.html

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Mike,I had to replace the gears in all of my P2K GP7/9/30s..29 total.This link might be helpful.

http://www.nmra.org.au/Hints/P2K/P2K.html

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  09:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Larry,
Yep, that's it! That is exactly what it looked like. I may have a few Athearn trucks laying around in the parts department, I never thought of switching them out as suggested in the above link.

Thanks!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  09:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Larry,
Yep, that's it! That is exactly what it looked like. I may have a few Athearn trucks laying around in the parts department, I never thought of switching them out as suggested in the above link.

Thanks!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  4:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Mike,I used the Athearn gears.These sell for less then $3.00 a pack..There are four in the pakage.I got mine at discount at one of the local train shows..

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=gear

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Got Kits? Topic Next Topic: Baggage Car Fever!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000