Railroad Line Forums - Jerky Shay
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Jerky Shay
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay
Page: of 2

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  2:59:22 PM  Show Profile
I have an On30 Spectrum Shay less than a month old. It runs flawlessly except when decending grades slowly. It tends to run "jerky" decending grades slowly. It almost acts as if it has something to do with the fact that it is a gear driven locomotive. Does anyony have any insight, and maybe a fix? Thankya.
Rob

Obedience Is Victory. Victory Is Life. Today Is A Good Day To Die.

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  3:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Robert.

I don't have any grades for my shay, but that problem has been discussed on many forums. It seems that geared locomotives, both real amd model, will buck when going downhill. The On30 climax does it too. From what I've read there are 3 fixes.

1. Run cars on the downhill side of the shay. Supposedly this will pull the shay enough to keep the wheels 'ahead' of the motor.

2. Pack extra grease (labelle #106 or similar) into the gear box in the bottom of the boiler. Keeps the wheels from turning those gears faster than the motor can.

3. Disassemble the side gearing to add small washers. This will remove some of the slop in the gearing.

I did #2 when I first got my shay and it's really easy.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  3:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Robert.

I don't have any grades for my shay, but that problem has been discussed on many forums. It seems that geared locomotives, both real amd model, will buck when going downhill. The On30 climax does it too. From what I've read there are 3 fixes.

1. Run cars on the downhill side of the shay. Supposedly this will pull the shay enough to keep the wheels 'ahead' of the motor.

2. Pack extra grease (labelle #106 or similar) into the gear box in the bottom of the boiler. Keeps the wheels from turning those gears faster than the motor can.

3. Disassemble the side gearing to add small washers. This will remove some of the slop in the gearing.

I did #2 when I first got my shay and it's really easy.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile
You say you did number two.....did it help? Thanks for your input.

Rob

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile
You say you did number two.....did it help? Thanks for your input.

Rob

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  8:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Beats me, I don't have a grade to run it down. I put grease in there to cut down on some gear noise mine had. It worked wonderfully for that.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  8:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Beats me, I don't have a grade to run it down. I put grease in there to cut down on some gear noise mine had. It worked wonderfully for that.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  9:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks yall. I got some Labelle #6 comin. We'll see what that does.

Rob

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  9:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks yall. I got some Labelle #6 comin. We'll see what that does.

Rob

drmsparks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  8:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I have heard the three suggestions before and was choosing which one to follow and came up with a fourth. Solution three is designed to remove the slop from the gear train to keep the gears engaged. I found that on the gear train there are two press fit bushings on the trucks that can be adjusted to tighten up the gears. I'm going to try to get some pictures when I do my second one. I hope the descriptions can help you duplicate what worked for me.

Dave

drmsparks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  8:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I have heard the three suggestions before and was choosing which one to follow and came up with a fourth. Solution three is designed to remove the slop from the gear train to keep the gears engaged. I found that on the gear train there are two press fit bushings on the trucks that can be adjusted to tighten up the gears. I'm going to try to get some pictures when I do my second one. I hope the descriptions can help you duplicate what worked for me.

Dave

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  11:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. I would appreciate the pics. All I've done so far is pack the gearbox with Labelle #6. That did help a good bit, but I think it could be better, and more permanent. As the grease wears off, the problem will certainly worsen.

Rob

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  11:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. I would appreciate the pics. All I've done so far is pack the gearbox with Labelle #6. That did help a good bit, but I think it could be better, and more permanent. As the grease wears off, the problem will certainly worsen.

Rob

drmsparks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  7:04:07 PM  Show Profile
No pictures yet but i have a better description.

On the geared side of each truck betwen the journals there is a section of axle with the gear on the rear side and a shouldered bushing on the front side. Slide the axle to the rear as far as it will go. This should engage the teeth of both gears to the teeth on the wheels. Notice the space between the shouldered bushing and the forward journal. this is the problem. Hold the axle in positiion and slide the shouldered bushing towards the front of the engine. I heard an audible click, and stopped. The bushing slid forward to the edge of the journal and now holds the gears in position.

It takes all of about 10 seconds per truck. I did my second shay while typing this (just to test out the description). Just ran it up my helix (5% grade) with no surging. You might want to use some acc or epoxy on the bushing but I haven't seen the need for it yet.

Dave

drmsparks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  7:04:07 PM  Show Profile
No pictures yet but i have a better description.

On the geared side of each truck betwen the journals there is a section of axle with the gear on the rear side and a shouldered bushing on the front side. Slide the axle to the rear as far as it will go. This should engage the teeth of both gears to the teeth on the wheels. Notice the space between the shouldered bushing and the forward journal. this is the problem. Hold the axle in positiion and slide the shouldered bushing towards the front of the engine. I heard an audible click, and stopped. The bushing slid forward to the edge of the journal and now holds the gears in position.

It takes all of about 10 seconds per truck. I did my second shay while typing this (just to test out the description). Just ran it up my helix (5% grade) with no surging. You might want to use some acc or epoxy on the bushing but I haven't seen the need for it yet.

Dave

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  11:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like it might be a good fix, but my surging is going down grades. Did your mod help going down? Thanks.

Rob

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000