Railroad Line Forums - Need ideas/inspiration!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 49 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Need ideas/inspiration!
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Teejays Mini Topic Next Topic: Summer is over!
Page: of 2

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Hi there guys, I need help on another small project I'm planing, I decided to postpone three other things I was about to start in order to follow this one.
I'm building a new home and inside I'll have a stone wall with a 18" depth, it's a large wall because it'll have a fireplace inserted, well since this wall is 16', besides the fireplace I have space to do a small living picture of a railroad scene, the idea is to do a small diorama that'll fit inside the wall and look like a picture, now for the size, my plan is to go 30 inch long, 12.5 inch width/depth and 17 inch high aprox, this measures aren't final and can be tweaked.
So the challenge is, what can I fit inside this small space that can make an interesting picture? I would like to use one of the following scales, Nn3, Sn3, Hon30 or On30 and a logging scene would be my favourite. the trackplan can be a simple line or a small inglenook (ex. for a yard scene), so what do you guys think? Ideas?

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  11:27:53 AM  Show Profile
It's an interesting idea to be sure . If it was me , I would have the diorama operating and have it enclosed in removable glass , suitably lighted inside with recessed lighting ....might as well go all out since you want it to look like a picture .
It could easily be powered by DC with the throttle mounted on the wall in some fashion , outside the wall opening .
As to what scale , all would be impressive with the HO giving you a lot possibilities as to track design with the 16" depth .
The outside of the wall opening could be framed with moldings to give the idea of a picture frame . The removable glass would keep unwanted dust out but allow you to work inside if necessary for periodic maintenance . I would use non-glare glass for best effect , but it is pricier .

Terry

Edited by - teejay on 10/15/2005 11:28:28 AM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  11:27:53 AM  Show Profile
It's an interesting idea to be sure . If it was me , I would have the diorama operating and have it enclosed in removable glass , suitably lighted inside with recessed lighting ....might as well go all out since you want it to look like a picture .
It could easily be powered by DC with the throttle mounted on the wall in some fashion , outside the wall opening .
As to what scale , all would be impressive with the HO giving you a lot possibilities as to track design with the 16" depth .
The outside of the wall opening could be framed with moldings to give the idea of a picture frame . The removable glass would keep unwanted dust out but allow you to work inside if necessary for periodic maintenance . I would use non-glare glass for best effect , but it is pricier .

Terry

Edited by - teejay on 10/15/2005 11:28:28 AM

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  12:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Thanks for some nice ideas Terry, just to add some more bits, I have space on the right and on the left of the area so I can make the train go round (with an oval in each side) without showing it, only thing in the pic would be the train going from one side to the other.

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  12:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Thanks for some nice ideas Terry, just to add some more bits, I have space on the right and on the left of the area so I can make the train go round (with an oval in each side) without showing it, only thing in the pic would be the train going from one side to the other.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:27:36 PM  Show Profile
That would probably limit you to HOn3 or HOn30 as there wouldn't be enough room to turn the trains around in the S or O scales . I've even seen some stunning Nn3 work recently ...too hard for an old man like me to see .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:27:36 PM  Show Profile
That would probably limit you to HOn3 or HOn30 as there wouldn't be enough room to turn the trains around in the S or O scales . I've even seen some stunning Nn3 work recently ...too hard for an old man like me to see .

Terry

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  2:11:49 PM  Show Profile
If you are going to make reverse loops inside the wall you are looking at a radius of about 8" if the wall space is 18". If the total wall is 18" thick then you are probably down to a 7" radius, doable in HOn3/30 but better for N or Nn3/30.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  2:11:49 PM  Show Profile
If you are going to make reverse loops inside the wall you are looking at a radius of about 8" if the wall space is 18". If the total wall is 18" thick then you are probably down to a 7" radius, doable in HOn3/30 but better for N or Nn3/30.

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  08:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
The current issue of Scale Rails (the NMRA publication) has an article on micro layouts

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  08:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
The current issue of Scale Rails (the NMRA publication) has an article on micro layouts

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
For a working diorama in a den and not being your main model railroad, I would first consider that one of the most important factors in building it, is the impression it will make on the people seeing it, mostly who are NOT model railroaders. I would opted for just one super detailed scene, in Gn3. Yup, G scale. It's large, can be super detailed, where your guest can appreciate the workmanship and what they are seeing. Remember, they will view it (hopefully) as a work of art, not as a model railroad. When the general public walks through a convention and the model / contest room, most are drawn to the larger scale displays. They make for a great and hopefully a lasting impression. One very well done scene would have the impact and drama you are looking for and that is what this type of diorama should convey.
Just my two cents worth.
Peter

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
For a working diorama in a den and not being your main model railroad, I would first consider that one of the most important factors in building it, is the impression it will make on the people seeing it, mostly who are NOT model railroaders. I would opted for just one super detailed scene, in Gn3. Yup, G scale. It's large, can be super detailed, where your guest can appreciate the workmanship and what they are seeing. Remember, they will view it (hopefully) as a work of art, not as a model railroad. When the general public walks through a convention and the model / contest room, most are drawn to the larger scale displays. They make for a great and hopefully a lasting impression. One very well done scene would have the impact and drama you are looking for and that is what this type of diorama should convey.
Just my two cents worth.
Peter

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  10:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Nelson,
Hi and it's good to be back posting to you.
Go to amazon or a british hobby shop and get Ian Rices book Track plans for small spaces or something similar for american designs by him, Im too tired to google I.m going to bed.
Maybe you'll have them in a library close to your home do they have english books in Potugese libraies?. Boone morrison and I were talking in emails of just such an effect. he called it a slice into miniature reality. He stressed black was necessarry on the Valance and drops but if you have stone a Quarry sseen would ne awsome. Check marios web site for some links to an O gauge quarry railroad heaven .To cary the Viewer into that slice of miniature reality. I'll check another great plan I've got for a small area. Youre in o gauge aren't you?
PaulD

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  10:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Nelson,
Hi and it's good to be back posting to you.
Go to amazon or a british hobby shop and get Ian Rices book Track plans for small spaces or something similar for american designs by him, Im too tired to google I.m going to bed.
Maybe you'll have them in a library close to your home do they have english books in Potugese libraies?. Boone morrison and I were talking in emails of just such an effect. he called it a slice into miniature reality. He stressed black was necessarry on the Valance and drops but if you have stone a Quarry sseen would ne awsome. Check marios web site for some links to an O gauge quarry railroad heaven .To cary the Viewer into that slice of miniature reality. I'll check another great plan I've got for a small area. Youre in o gauge aren't you?
PaulD

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Thanks for the input guys, Tyson thanks for the radius bit, I wasn't aware of it and it limits the option of runaround on larger scales.

Paul - Glad to hear from you again, thanks for the tip on the book and Mario's website, will check Mario's site again.

Peter - You hitted the nail in there, Your toughts helped a lot, that's what I want to achieve, "impress" non model railroaders and I think you are right on the large scale choice. I will not go that large so I might settle on On30, now in this scale what "scene" would you sugest would have the "biggest" impact on non model railroaders, first I tought it would be nice to do a little yard scene but maybe that isn't interesting to "normal folks", then I tought about a dense forest scene with lots of pine trees, a water tower and maybe a woodcutter's schack, what do you guys think?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Teejays Mini Topic Next Topic: Summer is over!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000