Railroad Line Forums - Baggage Car Fever!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: GregW66 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Baggage Car Fever!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: P2K help needed Topic Next Topic: Line Car Progress  

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:36:15 PM  Show Profile
I was rummaging around on Walthers website and saw that they offer the PRR B60b baggage car in undec...SOLD! Because I like baggage, express, and RPO cars, I ordered one to be painted and lettered for the Hudson Electric or Camden Terminal. I am very impressed! I have a pair of the Walthers wood express undec reefers and am satisfied with the quality, the detail, and the trucks in particular. Many RTR or rolling stock kits come with either mediocre or comical trucks that I usually just toss out. The trucks on both the express reefers and the PRR baggage car are well detailed and free rolling. Although the Walthers illustration on the website shows a PRR painted and lettered B60b car with the Pennsy's trademark porthole windows in the car doors, the car comes with other door styles to choose from and your choice of 3 types of roofs, all included! Now, Walthers isn't giving anything away, but this $34.95 RTR undec car is almost half the price of a Bethlehem Car Works Kit and, when finished well, can look every bit as good as a brass model. Head-end cars are often overlooked by modelers because of the perception of a limited role that they played. Actually, the reverse was true. Much income was produced through express shipments that also included the use of baggage cars. Cars like this were often used as mail storage cars when cut into a consist behind an RPO, could be used for special shipments, and West Coast road baggage cars could be seen on East Coast passenger consists and vice versa. It's worth looking through photos of passenger train consists and counting the baggage, RPO, and express cars. For slow-train-to-nowhere consists, a train could be made up of an RPO, milk cars, several baggage cars, and a couple of express box and reefers with a single passenger car or combine at the end for local passengers. If anyone is interested, Railway Prototype Cyclopedia has an excellent articles on express reefer and boxcars in Volumes 6, 7 & 8.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  9:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Russ,

I have two Walthers PRR R50B express reefers and a Pennsy streamlined coach. With the Walthers supplied grabs installed they look fine. I like the metal grabs and steps rather than plastic like some companies use. I agree that their newer passenger equipment is a little pricy, but it's first class. I need to get a couple of their new RPO express reefers, but adding the grabs and weathering is a two evening project and I have a bunch of these two evening projects in my "to do" stack already.

I like your suggestion about foreign road names on head end cars. I've always had a soft spot for the UP yellow. I'd love to run one of their baggage cars in a Pennsy passenger train.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  9:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Russ,

I have two Walthers PRR R50B express reefers and a Pennsy streamlined coach. With the Walthers supplied grabs installed they look fine. I like the metal grabs and steps rather than plastic like some companies use. I agree that their newer passenger equipment is a little pricy, but it's first class. I need to get a couple of their new RPO express reefers, but adding the grabs and weathering is a two evening project and I have a bunch of these two evening projects in my "to do" stack already.

I like your suggestion about foreign road names on head end cars. I've always had a soft spot for the UP yellow. I'd love to run one of their baggage cars in a Pennsy passenger train.

George

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  12:48:53 PM  Show Profile
The only baggage cars I have is four Athena heavy weights in C&O.Three will be used for mail storage and the fourth will be express/passenger baggage..The rest of the train will be 3-4 REX cars and 3 coaches.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  12:48:53 PM  Show Profile
The only baggage cars I have is four Athena heavy weights in C&O.Three will be used for mail storage and the fourth will be express/passenger baggage..The rest of the train will be 3-4 REX cars and 3 coaches.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  1:46:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brakie

VERY COOL IDEA!!

Edited by - slimrails on 10/14/2005 1:48:08 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  1:46:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brakie

VERY COOL IDEA!!

Edited by - slimrails on 10/14/2005 1:48:08 PM

Previous Topic: P2K help needed Topic Next Topic: Line Car Progress  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000