Railroad Line Forums - Got Kits?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Got Kits?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Genesis of a new layout Topic Next Topic: P2K help needed
Page: of 4

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:04:09 PM  Show Profile
I know that there are a good number of kit builders here on RR-Line. You know who you are...the guys who sneak into the house with little boxes hidden under a newspaper after stopping of at the LHS! Or the ones who have stuff shipped to work so the wife doesn't find it in with the mail if she gets home first! Some guys like buying old kits like the original Silver Streak or Ambroid kits and building them as they were made to be built. Others like to build their own styrene kits and do detail parts upgrades to eliminate those nasty plastic blobs that get passed off as 'brake cylinders' or 'grab irons'. If you like kits, what kits do you like? I personally like the LaBelle and Ambroid wood kits and the Red Caboose, Tichy, and Branchline styrene kits. How 'bout choo?

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
Russ-
Just give me a second while I tie up my brontosaur here at the lounge hitching post!

OK-- I like Ambroid, Tichy, and LaBelle too, but my current favorites are Classic Miniatures, Alexander, Rio Grande Models, Gloor or Quality Craft Models, and Silver Streak.
-Dave

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
Russ-
Just give me a second while I tie up my brontosaur here at the lounge hitching post!

OK-- I like Ambroid, Tichy, and LaBelle too, but my current favorites are Classic Miniatures, Alexander, Rio Grande Models, Gloor or Quality Craft Models, and Silver Streak.
-Dave

-Dave

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  4:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhh...a (cave)man after my own heart! I built a Rio Grande models AH&D HOn3 ditcher some years back...really sweet! I also built some Gloor Craft/Quality Craft models base on EBT prototypes and an Erie wood caboose. Really nice! What's your take on Silver Streak, either the 'old' or the 'new'?

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  4:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhh...a (cave)man after my own heart! I built a Rio Grande models AH&D HOn3 ditcher some years back...really sweet! I also built some Gloor Craft/Quality Craft models base on EBT prototypes and an Erie wood caboose. Really nice! What's your take on Silver Streak, either the 'old' or the 'new'?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  6:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Kits, oh yeah! I've shown pics of my stack of structure kits, but they are dwarfed (in number, if not in cost) by my backlog of rolling stock kits. I have those from Ambroid, Silver Streak, Tichy, Red Caboose, Red Ball, Juneco Scale Models, Ye Olde Huff-N-Puff, Cannonball Car Shop, LaBelle, Precision Scale Models, Liberty Models, Detail Associates, Branchlilne, Train Miniatures, Ulrich, Bowser, Eastern Car Works, Old & Weary Car Shops, Funaro & Camerlengo, Westerfield, Accurail, Athearn, & MDC. I'm sure that there are a few more that I'm forgetting.

The only GloorCraft models that I have are structure kits, but I have quite a stack of those.

Soon after retirement, I will probably realize that I'm not going to get to all these, and I'll have to offer them up as "modeling prizes" here on the Forum.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  6:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Kits, oh yeah! I've shown pics of my stack of structure kits, but they are dwarfed (in number, if not in cost) by my backlog of rolling stock kits. I have those from Ambroid, Silver Streak, Tichy, Red Caboose, Red Ball, Juneco Scale Models, Ye Olde Huff-N-Puff, Cannonball Car Shop, LaBelle, Precision Scale Models, Liberty Models, Detail Associates, Branchlilne, Train Miniatures, Ulrich, Bowser, Eastern Car Works, Old & Weary Car Shops, Funaro & Camerlengo, Westerfield, Accurail, Athearn, & MDC. I'm sure that there are a few more that I'm forgetting.

The only GloorCraft models that I have are structure kits, but I have quite a stack of those.

Soon after retirement, I will probably realize that I'm not going to get to all these, and I'll have to offer them up as "modeling prizes" here on the Forum.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  6:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage
Russ, I have just come by a Ambroid Helium Tank Car kit my son picked up for me at an auction. I also have one I built [cry] 35 years ago when it first came out. Unfortunately the one I have built up has taken a toll being packed away and all. As soon as I get the new kit I intend on selling both together....let me know if your your interested.

Walt

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  6:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage
Russ, I have just come by a Ambroid Helium Tank Car kit my son picked up for me at an auction. I also have one I built [cry] 35 years ago when it first came out. Unfortunately the one I have built up has taken a toll being packed away and all. As soon as I get the new kit I intend on selling both together....let me know if your your interested.

Walt

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

and I'll have to offer them up as "modeling prizes" here on the Forum.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

and I'll have to offer them up as "modeling prizes" here on the Forum.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
I love the Rio Grande Models kits and intend to get some more. So far I've built the West Side Lumber Co. #5 tank car, and am working on the McGiffert log loader. I also really like Grandt Line, Keystone, San Jaun Car Co. and Jordan. I have one Labelle kit that was less than impressive, (bare minimum of materials, missing parts, wrong scale parts, vague instructions). Is this common with Labelle kits? Because I'd sure like to build some of their passanger car kits..

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
I love the Rio Grande Models kits and intend to get some more. So far I've built the West Side Lumber Co. #5 tank car, and am working on the McGiffert log loader. I also really like Grandt Line, Keystone, San Jaun Car Co. and Jordan. I have one Labelle kit that was less than impressive, (bare minimum of materials, missing parts, wrong scale parts, vague instructions). Is this common with Labelle kits? Because I'd sure like to build some of their passanger car kits..

-Cody

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hudsonelectric

More of a cave man than you think, Russ, having been a member of the National Speleological Society for over thirty years!

I've loved steam shovels since I was a kid and have wanted a Rio Grande Models Marion steam shovel for years. I finally scored one on Ebay recently. Turns out the castings would put George Cellulose to shame! Also, RGM's Side Dump Gon is a little jewel.

I first came across Gloor/Quality Craft kits years ago when they put out their C&O prototype Marlinton Station. (I was very interested in the C&O and Marlinton, WV, since the imaginary TC&W is geographically located in the same region.)

BTW, Leeflan's Wadley Depot was modified from one of these kits and Steve says it's a nice clean build.

As for Silver Streak, their well thought-out designs and use of quality materials are very similar to Ambroid's, don't you think? These kits call for craftsmanship and are still fun to build today.

Just a few minor tweaks are needed to bring Silver Streak kits up to today's standards-- scale thickness roof walks and touch-ups on the silk-screened lettering come to mind.

There are several favorite manufacturers I didn't mention. Some, like Durango Press and Keystone don't make a lot of stuff that I'd call 'kits.' There are others, like Jordan, that just go without saying.
-Dave

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hudsonelectric

More of a cave man than you think, Russ, having been a member of the National Speleological Society for over thirty years!

I've loved steam shovels since I was a kid and have wanted a Rio Grande Models Marion steam shovel for years. I finally scored one on Ebay recently. Turns out the castings would put George Cellulose to shame! Also, RGM's Side Dump Gon is a little jewel.

I first came across Gloor/Quality Craft kits years ago when they put out their C&O prototype Marlinton Station. (I was very interested in the C&O and Marlinton, WV, since the imaginary TC&W is geographically located in the same region.)

BTW, Leeflan's Wadley Depot was modified from one of these kits and Steve says it's a nice clean build.

As for Silver Streak, their well thought-out designs and use of quality materials are very similar to Ambroid's, don't you think? These kits call for craftsmanship and are still fun to build today.

Just a few minor tweaks are needed to bring Silver Streak kits up to today's standards-- scale thickness roof walks and touch-ups on the silk-screened lettering come to mind.

There are several favorite manufacturers I didn't mention. Some, like Durango Press and Keystone don't make a lot of stuff that I'd call 'kits.' There are others, like Jordan, that just go without saying.
-Dave

-Dave

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:44:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

I have one Labelle kit that was less than impressive, (bare minimum of materials, missing parts, wrong scale parts, vague instructions). Is this common with Labelle kits? Because I'd sure like to build some of their passanger car kits.

I think that LaBelle kits are one of those kits that you have to buy two of to start: one to learn on and screw up and the other to actually build right and well. Once I saw where they were going with windows, doors, roof assembly etc. in one HOn3 kit, the others were the same. LaBelle kits are made from the same materials, use the same instructions, and include the same crude white metal castings today as they did 30+ years ago although the company was sold a couple of years back. Yeah, the grooves between the boards look too deep and out of scale making you sand the car sides down, and yeah, the kits are nothin' more than a box o' wood. But I've seen some really well done LaBelle kits over the years and they're really in a class of their own, good or bad. Here's a couple of the D&RGW prototype HOn3 LaBelle kits that I built for my Catskill & Ramapo.

Edited by - slimrails on 10/12/2005 8:49:47 PM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Genesis of a new layout Topic Next Topic: P2K help needed  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000