Railroad Line Forums - Modeling the 1870's - Miller Couplers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 2 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Modeling the 1870's - Miller Couplers
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What is your favorite engine manufacturer Topic Next Topic: 1930-40s  

hminky
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  2:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
In my attempt to develop a reasonable 1870's coupling system, I discovered that trimming NMRA couplers produces an "Miller-esque" coupler. If mounted further under the car it would resemble the Miller Hook.

What is a Miller coupler?

http://www.ironhorse129.com/rollingstock/dictionary/millerhook.htm

It can be used in my link-and-pin system with a modified U link.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/cars/couplers/

Just an idea
Harold

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  07:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Harold, I like what you have done so far to resemble the coupler system, and am wondering will this not have to dramatic effect the turning radius of your rolling stock? They look like unless you have super large radi they would touch at the corners?? Thanks for sharing the info as it is something I had not seen before, Pat

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  07:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Harold, I like what you have done so far to resemble the coupler system, and am wondering will this not have to dramatic effect the turning radius of your rolling stock? They look like unless you have super large radi they would touch at the corners?? Thanks for sharing the info as it is something I had not seen before, Pat

hminky
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
The coupler hooks will have to extend beyond the platforms to allow uncoupling. I won't be able to have as close coupling as the prototype. I just want it to resemble the Miller coupler

Harold

hminky
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
The coupler hooks will have to extend beyond the platforms to allow uncoupling. I won't be able to have as close coupling as the prototype. I just want it to resemble the Miller coupler

Harold

Previous Topic: What is your favorite engine manufacturer Topic Next Topic: 1930-40s  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000