Railroad Line Forums - Whats the best way to clean wheels and lube
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 13 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Whats the best way to clean wheels and lube
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Building flat from Walthers Red Wing Mill kits Topic Next Topic: Genesis of a new layout  

Siccmade
New Hire

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  02:52:07 AM  Show Profile
I need to clean some wheels on diff engines what the best way to do that? and i need to lube some of my engines and i have diff ones i have walters, Life Like and Tyco i am new at this so not sure how to oil them they are all diff looking under the shell

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:38:30 AM  Show Profile
I must have missed your question when it first came up. Went to look at your profile when answering about the mountain and saw this question. Hate to see a guy not get any response. This may be late but you may still need ideas. For cleaning wheels I go for the simple cheap stuff first. A pad of cloth soaked in a solvent can be held across the track. Rubbing alcohol works well as well as most of the commercial track cleaners. Don't go for really strong stuff like paint thinner that might damage the finish on the loco. With the wet pad across the track you can hold the engine so that the some wheels are picking up track power while the other set of wheels is spinning on the wet pad. In other words, turn on the power and hold the engine so the wheels spin on the pad. Unless the engines are old and in bad shape, it is often better to not oil them. Too much oil is very easy to do and it makes cleaning the tracks, wheels and all much worse. Basic beginners mistake is oiling too much. If you feel lubing is really needed get the plastic safe stuff from the hobby shops and go very light with it on any moving part that you know needs it. With newer engines it really is not too common for them to need it right away.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:38:30 AM  Show Profile
I must have missed your question when it first came up. Went to look at your profile when answering about the mountain and saw this question. Hate to see a guy not get any response. This may be late but you may still need ideas. For cleaning wheels I go for the simple cheap stuff first. A pad of cloth soaked in a solvent can be held across the track. Rubbing alcohol works well as well as most of the commercial track cleaners. Don't go for really strong stuff like paint thinner that might damage the finish on the loco. With the wet pad across the track you can hold the engine so that the some wheels are picking up track power while the other set of wheels is spinning on the wet pad. In other words, turn on the power and hold the engine so the wheels spin on the pad. Unless the engines are old and in bad shape, it is often better to not oil them. Too much oil is very easy to do and it makes cleaning the tracks, wheels and all much worse. Basic beginners mistake is oiling too much. If you feel lubing is really needed get the plastic safe stuff from the hobby shops and go very light with it on any moving part that you know needs it. With newer engines it really is not too common for them to need it right away.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  03:55:22 AM  Show Profile
F G & Richard,

Here is what I discovered using alcohol on my Bachmann J steam engine drivers. It removed the flat black paint. Don't think I would use any chemicals to clean wheels. A very mild dish detergent soap diluted with lots of water would probably work best. If not, just plain distilled water. The best way to prepare electrical surfaces is with a dremel and rotary wire brush. Fortunately, my 'J' went back to Bachmann with faulty journals and was exchanged along with $30 for a Spectrum engine.

Track is a different story, and I do use alcohol on a clean, soft rag to wipe the top of the rail after using a track eraser and vacuuming. Hope this steers you in the right direction.

Allen
Modellin' the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by Siccmade

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  03:55:22 AM  Show Profile
F G & Richard,

Here is what I discovered using alcohol on my Bachmann J steam engine drivers. It removed the flat black paint. Don't think I would use any chemicals to clean wheels. A very mild dish detergent soap diluted with lots of water would probably work best. If not, just plain distilled water. The best way to prepare electrical surfaces is with a dremel and rotary wire brush. Fortunately, my 'J' went back to Bachmann with faulty journals and was exchanged along with $30 for a Spectrum engine.

Track is a different story, and I do use alcohol on a clean, soft rag to wipe the top of the rail after using a track eraser and vacuuming. Hope this steers you in the right direction.

Allen
Modellin' the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by Siccmade

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads up on the paint. I have not had any disasters from it but that is probably just luck. Cleaning is one of those things that we all find our path and if it works we don't change much. I will be more careful in the future. I have found several things about Bachman that I don't like and so only own one of their engines, the infamous 44-tonner.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads up on the paint. I have not had any disasters from it but that is probably just luck. Cleaning is one of those things that we all find our path and if it works we don't change much. I will be more careful in the future. I have found several things about Bachman that I don't like and so only own one of their engines, the infamous 44-tonner.

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  9:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message
I like to use lacquer thinner on wheels. If it's a loco, I lay it on it's side near live track and use a couple of wires with aligator clips on each end. I clip these onto the rails and use the other ends to apply power to the loco and get the wheels spinning. Then I clean the wheels with a folded pipe cleaner dipped in the thinner. Works wonders at removing *spooge* from wheels.
If I'm cleaning the wheels on steam tenders or rolling stock, I simply lay a rag (piece of bedsheet)on the track and pour a thimble of thinner on the rag. Then I run the rolling stock back and forth over the rag, right on the rails. You would not believe how much black dirt comes of seemingly clean wheels.
Doug

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  9:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message
I like to use lacquer thinner on wheels. If it's a loco, I lay it on it's side near live track and use a couple of wires with aligator clips on each end. I clip these onto the rails and use the other ends to apply power to the loco and get the wheels spinning. Then I clean the wheels with a folded pipe cleaner dipped in the thinner. Works wonders at removing *spooge* from wheels.
If I'm cleaning the wheels on steam tenders or rolling stock, I simply lay a rag (piece of bedsheet)on the track and pour a thimble of thinner on the rag. Then I run the rolling stock back and forth over the rag, right on the rails. You would not believe how much black dirt comes of seemingly clean wheels.
Doug

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
I do about the same as Doug, I like to use lacquer thinner on the wheels using either a pipe cleaner or Q-tip. I clean my track with a Bright Boy and the points on the turnouts with a pipe cleaner and some lacquer thinner. Go easy with the lacquer thinner on the points, it will attack the plastic ties.
Peter

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
I do about the same as Doug, I like to use lacquer thinner on the wheels using either a pipe cleaner or Q-tip. I clean my track with a Bright Boy and the points on the turnouts with a pipe cleaner and some lacquer thinner. Go easy with the lacquer thinner on the points, it will attack the plastic ties.
Peter

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Also if you have painted(weathered) your track use a spare section on the side. The thinner WILL take off the paint. You could also use the spare piece to test and run locos over the same way. Pat

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Also if you have painted(weathered) your track use a spare section on the side. The thinner WILL take off the paint. You could also use the spare piece to test and run locos over the same way. Pat

Previous Topic: Building flat from Walthers Red Wing Mill kits Topic Next Topic: Genesis of a new layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000