Railroad Line Forums - Line Car Progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: glnrr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Line Car Progress
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Baggage Car Fever! Topic Next Topic: What is your favorite engine manufacturer  

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  10:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Here's a shot of my line car under construction. This has been an on again/off again project awaiting time, parts, patience, etc. The platform is almost complete and so are the car sides. The windows are in, trucks mounted temporarily, fascia mounted, and a few other details in place. I need to get the brake rigging in, put in some more NBW details, add another railing, build the wire supports to guide the wire as it feeds up from the reel car, and prime it for final prep prior to painting in red with white safety stripes on the upper railing boards. Gettin' there!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
I assume that these line cars were often built in the backshop. Does this one follow a particular prototype, or does it represent "a general line car"?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
I assume that these line cars were often built in the backshop. Does this one follow a particular prototype, or does it represent "a general line car"?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Bruce...

This is strictly a backshop design based on my ideas and a few photos. Some roads had line cars that were built using former 'freight motors', a double-ended car with baggage doors, with a roof platform added for access to the wires. Others had more elaborate cars with telescoping work platforms with adjustable height that would also rotate as well. I had to think out how wire would be played out for repairs or replacement, a realistic working height that would allow access to the wire hangers, and provide a safe and stable platform for the crew. I didn't want to make it look like a new piece of equipment, but not something that belonged on the rip track, either. The Ambroid 50' Western Union materials car was the perfect length, had windows and side sliding doors, and could be bashed into what I need. I also have to make a wire spool car...something along the lines of a crane tender car but with wire spools mounted on 'A' frames with axles allowing the spools to rotate and play out the wire. Now that vacation is over, the computer crisis is solved, and the house painting is coming to an end, I can spend more time making it look like something!

Russ

Edited by - slimrails on 09/29/2005 12:49:59 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Bruce...

This is strictly a backshop design based on my ideas and a few photos. Some roads had line cars that were built using former 'freight motors', a double-ended car with baggage doors, with a roof platform added for access to the wires. Others had more elaborate cars with telescoping work platforms with adjustable height that would also rotate as well. I had to think out how wire would be played out for repairs or replacement, a realistic working height that would allow access to the wire hangers, and provide a safe and stable platform for the crew. I didn't want to make it look like a new piece of equipment, but not something that belonged on the rip track, either. The Ambroid 50' Western Union materials car was the perfect length, had windows and side sliding doors, and could be bashed into what I need. I also have to make a wire spool car...something along the lines of a crane tender car but with wire spools mounted on 'A' frames with axles allowing the spools to rotate and play out the wire. Now that vacation is over, the computer crisis is solved, and the house painting is coming to an end, I can spend more time making it look like something!

Russ

Edited by - slimrails on 09/29/2005 12:49:59 PM

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  9:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Russ, neat looking car you are building, it caught my eye as I was just today reading the history of the Oregon Electric (red cars) that ran here in Eugene up to Portland. The original depot here in Eugene is now a restaurant called Electric Station and a couple of the red cars are there alongside the building. I think the old timers did not have much forsight when they ripped up all the rails for these lines in favor of private autos. Now many places wish they were back! In the book there are pictures of line cars and the men on top working on the wires. They look a little shorter than your car, what road would your car be simular with? Jerry

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  9:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Russ, neat looking car you are building, it caught my eye as I was just today reading the history of the Oregon Electric (red cars) that ran here in Eugene up to Portland. The original depot here in Eugene is now a restaurant called Electric Station and a couple of the red cars are there alongside the building. I think the old timers did not have much forsight when they ripped up all the rails for these lines in favor of private autos. Now many places wish they were back! In the book there are pictures of line cars and the men on top working on the wires. They look a little shorter than your car, what road would your car be simular with? Jerry

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:04:31 PM  Show Profile
That's an interesting car Russ. Is that all wood or is the outside bracing styrene?

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:04:31 PM  Show Profile
That's an interesting car Russ. Is that all wood or is the outside bracing styrene?

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  02:20:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George D

The exterior bracing is styrene 'angle iron' as is everything on top of the car. The doors are left over from somewhere. You really can't see it, but the bottom frame is scratchbuilt double beam fishbelly. I'm a couple of hours away from getting it ready for the paint booth. Thanks for asking.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  02:20:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George D

The exterior bracing is styrene 'angle iron' as is everything on top of the car. The doors are left over from somewhere. You really can't see it, but the bottom frame is scratchbuilt double beam fishbelly. I'm a couple of hours away from getting it ready for the paint booth. Thanks for asking.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  02:25:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry M

What road would your car be simular with?

None...except the Hudson Electric!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  02:25:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry M

What road would your car be simular with?

None...except the Hudson Electric!

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:39:34 PM  Show Profile
10-4 it work's for me, nice looking model. Jerry

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:39:34 PM  Show Profile
10-4 it work's for me, nice looking model. Jerry

Previous Topic: Baggage Car Fever! Topic Next Topic: What is your favorite engine manufacturer  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000