Railroad Line Forums - Does Wyoming coal pass through Chicago?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 236 ]  [ Total: 237 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Does Wyoming coal pass through Chicago?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Wyoming coal/Chicago follow up Topic Next Topic: How to learn name of UPRR division
Page: of 2

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  1:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Still pursuing possible design ideas for "next" layout.

Much coal passes my house on the UP bound for two different power generation plants a few miles south. I assume the coal originates in the Powder River Basin of Wyoming. Would the coal trains from WY pass through UP's major yards in the greater Chicago area, or would it more likely take a more direct route to the two utility companies?

Thanks!

Dennis

billb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello Dennis,
The coal trains you see passing your place would be on a direct route.However,there are trains that would go thru Chicago to reach their destinations coming from the Powder River Basin.Commonwealth Edison and Wisconsin Electric Power trains heading north,south,and sometimes east will pass thru Proviso and get inspections before going to their respective customers.

Have a good one.

Bill Burge
Marion,Iowa

billb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello Dennis,
The coal trains you see passing your place would be on a direct route.However,there are trains that would go thru Chicago to reach their destinations coming from the Powder River Basin.Commonwealth Edison and Wisconsin Electric Power trains heading north,south,and sometimes east will pass thru Proviso and get inspections before going to their respective customers.

Have a good one.

Bill Burge
Marion,Iowa

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Bill,

You Marion guys are just way too smart. Guess I should just address my questions directly to you and skip the Forum!!

OK, in follow up then, the direct trains from Powder River must be coming through Iowa. Correct? Where are they crossing the Mississippi?

Thanks, Bill!

Dennis

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Bill,

You Marion guys are just way too smart. Guess I should just address my questions directly to you and skip the Forum!!

OK, in follow up then, the direct trains from Powder River must be coming through Iowa. Correct? Where are they crossing the Mississippi?

Thanks, Bill!

Dennis

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  6:03:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dsteele

Bill,

Dennis,
No, don't do that. Although I don't know the answers, I do finding them out.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  6:03:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dsteele

Bill,

Dennis,
No, don't do that. Although I don't know the answers, I do finding them out.

Bruce

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  7:17:10 PM  Show Profile
I think they pass over the Mississippi right here! http://www.livetrains.com/site/snav/15/page.htm

Turn off any internet security like Norton while you view the train cams otherwise it might not come up.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

Edited by - Rusty Stumps on 09/27/2005 7:22:51 PM

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  7:17:10 PM  Show Profile
I think they pass over the Mississippi right here! http://www.livetrains.com/site/snav/15/page.htm

Turn off any internet security like Norton while you view the train cams otherwise it might not come up.

Walt

Edited by - Rusty Stumps on 09/27/2005 7:22:51 PM

billb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Dennis,
I have to concur with Bruce.Although I have Materials at my disposal concerning C&NW operations just before the UP takeover,UP may have changed the operations patterns or the customers may be supplied from BNSF.Given that I understand(or hope)that you say that in jest.
If those trains still follow their routes from the Powder River Basin,then they cross the Mississippi at Clinton,Iowa.
My question is what utilities are the trains delivered to? I have a CNW Train Operations Manual dated 1985/86 that shows 2 trains a week to C&IM at East Peoria.

Have a good one.

Bill Burge
Marion,Iowa

billb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Dennis,
I have to concur with Bruce.Although I have Materials at my disposal concerning C&NW operations just before the UP takeover,UP may have changed the operations patterns or the customers may be supplied from BNSF.Given that I understand(or hope)that you say that in jest.
If those trains still follow their routes from the Powder River Basin,then they cross the Mississippi at Clinton,Iowa.
My question is what utilities are the trains delivered to? I have a CNW Train Operations Manual dated 1985/86 that shows 2 trains a week to C&IM at East Peoria.

Have a good one.

Bill Burge
Marion,Iowa

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  8:52:55 PM  Show Profile
Ok, let's clear the air.

Bruce: Just kidding about bypassing the Forum. Was making an homage to Bill. He lives in Marion IA and I lived there a LONG time ago. Guys from Marion are really smart. (I am the EXCEPTION the proves the rule.) The Forum has been a HUGE help to me and I will post as long as I have questions -- which will be a very long time.

Walt: Ft. Madison, huh? Well, as it happens, I have a funeral in Fairfield IA Weds and will cross into IA at Burlington. Ft. Madison appears about 20 miles south. Worth an early start and a detour with the digital camera.

Bill: Clinton is the other way (north) from Burlington, so I may or may not have time to take that detour, too. The two utilities south of me are Commonwealth Edison is South Pekin IL and AmerenCILCO at more-or-less Mapleton IL (?) or thereabouts.

Appreciate the help and the humor!!

Thanks!

Dennis

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  8:52:55 PM  Show Profile
Ok, let's clear the air.

Bruce: Just kidding about bypassing the Forum. Was making an homage to Bill. He lives in Marion IA and I lived there a LONG time ago. Guys from Marion are really smart. (I am the EXCEPTION the proves the rule.) The Forum has been a HUGE help to me and I will post as long as I have questions -- which will be a very long time.

Walt: Ft. Madison, huh? Well, as it happens, I have a funeral in Fairfield IA Weds and will cross into IA at Burlington. Ft. Madison appears about 20 miles south. Worth an early start and a detour with the digital camera.

Bill: Clinton is the other way (north) from Burlington, so I may or may not have time to take that detour, too. The two utilities south of me are Commonwealth Edison is South Pekin IL and AmerenCILCO at more-or-less Mapleton IL (?) or thereabouts.

Appreciate the help and the humor!!

Thanks!

Dennis

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  9:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Dennis, From what I remember they have at least one train every fifteen minutes cross there including Amtrak. I've seen a number of coal hauls going through so that's why I figure it may be the route.

Walt

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  9:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Dennis, From what I remember they have at least one train every fifteen minutes cross there including Amtrak. I've seen a number of coal hauls going through so that's why I figure it may be the route.

Walt

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  11:36:02 PM  Show Profile
UPRR web site shows rails crossing Mississippi River at both Clinton and Ft. Madison. Everything from Powder River Basin appears to pass through Kansas City on its way to Chicago/St Louis.

Guess I need to get up extra early Weds to allow time to visit both Clinton and Ft. Madison.

Check in with you late Weds or more probably Thurs on what I find.

Thanks again for your help!!

Dennis

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Wyoming coal/Chicago follow up Topic Next Topic: How to learn name of UPRR division  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000