Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 363 ]  [ Total: 368 ]  [ Newest Member: Katie360 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Which software was it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
David J Buchholz Posted - 04/16/2020 : 04:31:08 AM
I remember seeing an article (somewhere at done point) that have the user the ability to manipulate photographs in an interesting manner, but have recollection of the name of the software.

It was being used to take a photograph of a building that was NOT taken square, perpendicular to the side of the building.

The author was using it to make building plans where you could take the perspective angle and stretch one end of the photo do that both ends of the building were the same dimension.

My use would be to take some photos i would like to use for backdrops, to correct the angle at which they were taken.

Any help to identify it?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
desertdrover Posted - 04/16/2020 : 9:55:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Louis, 'It's the devil you know' vs the unknown. When I first started using GIMP it was all completely knew. I got used to it. A friend showed me Photoshop, I was lost.
Others have said the same thing, what you use first seems...natural, what you learn later seems ...learned

I guess you are right there Bill.
Found that statement to be true with a lot of things.
k9wrangler Posted - 04/16/2020 : 9:47:42 PM
You can actually do that in the edit section of an iPhone, too.
Bill Gill Posted - 04/16/2020 : 9:20:43 PM
David, Glad it worked well for you. You'll find GIMP can be handy for lots of projects.
Here's two quick things I learned using any editing software that saved lots of grief:
1. NEVER work on an original image, ALWAYS make a copy and work on it. That way WHEN you mess up you can make another copy and go again. Yes, you can SAVE AS and give that a different name, but it can be easy to forget that at the end of a long work session.
2. When you are going to try something you aren't sure about or just want to experiment, SAVE a copy of what you have before you start (call something like version ...)
Then experiment freely. if something goes wrongyou can go back to the most recent version that you saved and not miss a beat.

Louis, 'It's the devil you know' vs the unknown. When I first started using GIMP it was all completely knew. I got used to it. A friend showed me Photoshop, I was lost.
Others have said the same thing, what you use first seems...natural, what you learn later seems ...learned
desertdrover Posted - 04/16/2020 : 4:17:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

Dowloaded GIMP software at the suggestions offered here. VERY EASY to use. Open the picture in GIMP. Pull on the upper corners until the structure is vertical.

For now,actual size can be controlled in the print software by percentage, if needed. But for the simplicity of what I'm doing as background photos,(unlike using it as a blue print) the final exact size is not critical for what I'm doing

Thanks for the info Boys. I appreciate it.

I take it you didn't have a difficult learning curve here with GIMP?
Like I say, I have Adobe Photoshop, and it gave me heartburn at first until I got it.
Good luck with your use of GIMP.
David J Buchholz Posted - 04/16/2020 : 3:08:28 PM
Dowloaded GIMP software at the suggestions offered here. VERY EASY to use. Open the picture in GIMP. Pull on the upper corners until the structure is vertical.

For now,actual size can be controlled in the print software by percentage, if needed. But for the simplicity of what I'm doing as background photos,(unlike using it as a blue print) the final exact size is not critical for what I'm doing.

I have not used it for anything but tugging ion corners of pictures. Hopefuuly having used things like "Paint" and Vinyl cutting software will ease the learning curve. I really don' know what the software can do yet.
Thanks for the info Boys. I appreciate it.
Bill Gill Posted - 04/16/2020 : 10:23:21 AM
Here's an example of using GIMP to change the perspective of a view. For this one the full color backdrop I created with GIMP to match a black & white prototype photo was added to the model photo to recreate the original prototype view.
You can get more information that might be helpful for your project on how that backdrop was created in the March issue of Railroad Model Craftsman: "Backdating a Backdrop"

desertdrover Posted - 04/16/2020 : 09:56:54 AM
Here is the example you talk about. A project I'm getting ready to build.
I found this build on the internet (first picture) I wanted to build a saw filers shack for myself, so after obtaining the measurements, I used Photoshop to manipulate the perspective and got templates made for myself (second picture).
As mentioned GIMP will also do this for you, and the best thing, I paid for my Photoshop where GIMP is free.

Bill Gill Posted - 04/16/2020 : 07:47:15 AM
Yes, both GIMP and Photoshop can easily correct perspective for background scenes very well.
Like jbvb pointed out, GIMP is free. I have used it for photo editing for magazine articles with no problems.

Another program that might offer more precision in correcting perspective for accurately scaling buildings
for making plans is SketchUp. Although I think that specific feature, called "Match Photo", may no longer be
available in the current free version of the software. It might be available in an older free version from ?2017?
Check this link to the Match Photo feature to see if that is what you remember:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/matching-photo-model-or-model-photottps://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/matching-photo-model-or-model-photo
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/16/2020 : 07:34:07 AM
James is right. GIMP is what I use. Bill Gill put me on to it.

Mike
jbvb Posted - 04/16/2020 : 06:39:01 AM
You can do that with GIMP (free, available for Windows, Mac, Unix) or Photoshop (commercial, Windows, Mac).
Rick Posted - 04/16/2020 : 05:33:47 AM
One of these maybe? https://digital-photography-school.com/ways-to-correct-perspective-in-photography/

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000