Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 241 ]  [ Total: 242 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRM Thorndike Mills with a Western Twist

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GreggW Posted - 05/09/2007 : 7:48:44 PM
Thorndike Mills is one of my favorite structures, but it was too big and too "eastern" to fit on my layout. Jim Lucas and I teamed up to create this multi-level, western version. The wood structure was raised and placed on an angle (the only way it would fit), the bell tower was modified and the colorations were changed. It will look great downstream from Martin's Machine.

Gregg

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GreggW Posted - 06/22/2009 : 10:44:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Gregg
The overall scene and placement of the structures blends into the rocky coastal area as if Mother nature had a helping hand.
Peter
BCT

Thanks Peter. Yes, this one fits in nicely.

Gregg

Peterpools Posted - 06/20/2009 : 10:41:20 PM
Gregg
The overall scene and placement of the structures blends into the rocky coastal area as if Mother nature had a helping hand.
Peter
BCT
Peterpools Posted - 06/20/2009 : 10:40:28 PM
Gregg
Peter
BCT
GreggW Posted - 06/20/2009 : 8:44:43 PM
Well, it would be wrong to show layout shots of the various dioramas and not give this build equal justice. So, here are a few shots of South River Mills located in the foothills outside the town of Diablo Falls on the C&DRR.

Gregg

LynnB Posted - 01/10/2009 : 12:13:27 AM
I'm thinking some frothy water off the waterfall drop ( very small ) and gravel for rocks along the shore , and basicly very dark down the centre and in certain deep sections and perhaps a few large rocks that the water is swirling around. I think with the shallow to deep shores I would gain the effective clarity of the envirotex.
GreggW Posted - 01/09/2009 : 2:02:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wickman

Gregg just curious bu once you put down a layer of envirotex then add gel for waves or current don't you loose the effect of the depth and clarrity from the envirotex?

Lynn,

You cannot see the depth of a river at the point of rapids and that is what you are modeling. This is equally true for waves at the shore. In cases where you are trying to give the appearance of movement (for say fast moving water), this addition means you may give up some other features like clarity to achieve the feel of movement you need. Ocean/water waves and ripples are a different story and those would be achieved by pulling/forming the envirotex just prior to setting. As always, we must make compromises in the models we make.

Gregg
LynnB Posted - 01/09/2009 : 10:03:10 AM
Gregg just curious bu once you put down a layer of envirotex then add gel for waves or current don't you loose the effect of the depth and clarrity from the envirotex?
GreggW Posted - 01/09/2009 : 07:35:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

...After re-reading your post, I wonder if there was a problem/bad reaction between the product and your paint/pond preparation. Did you try contacting the maker? ...
dave

Hi Dave. I am not sure of the cause and I did not contact the maker. Since there is another product on the market, EnviroTex, that works well time and time again, there is no need to bother. I will use EnviroTex and get quality results without worry.

Gregg
LynnB Posted - 01/08/2009 : 11:19:46 AM
Thanks Gregg I have all the dvd's mentioned and will try to find time to view them and thanks for the quick version. I remember reading you had tried the grey sometimes in place of the white on the silicone and I can understand that especially deep in the waterfalls.
deemery Posted - 01/07/2009 : 8:53:38 PM
I had a very poor experience with Magic Water
I'm sorry to hear that, but appreciate your sharing the experiences...

After re-reading your post, I wonder if there was a problem/bad reaction between the product and your paint/pond preparation. Did you try contacting the maker? I met him at the Philly NMRA show and we've swapped a couple of emails since, and he always struck me as a good guy and very responsive.

dave
GreggW Posted - 01/07/2009 : 8:17:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Several people have reported good results with "Magic Water", too. I sure hope this works, as I bought some of this stuff a couple of years ago (after assurances from the maker that it had good shelf life.) Here's the website: http://www.unrealdetails.com

dave

Dave,

I had a very poor experience with Magic Water on the pond of my L&G diorama, which you can read about starting half way down page 7 at this link
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20915
It was such an experience that I will never use Magic Water again, nor recommend it, even though some have experienced ok results. I will stick with EnviroTex.

Gregg
deemery Posted - 01/07/2009 : 5:38:28 PM
Several people have reported good results with "Magic Water", too. I sure hope this works, as I bought some of this stuff a couple of years ago (after assurances from the maker that it had good shelf life.) Here's the website: http://www.unrealdetails.com

dave
GreggW Posted - 01/07/2009 : 2:01:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wickman

Hi Gregg , just spending some time going through your great work again especially seeing as I'm going to be doing a river very soon. I do have all 3 of the scott mason dvd's but only watched the first as I was saving them for when I'm about ready to do a kit, didn't realize there was water building included, thanks for the tip. By the way I will be redoing my little waterfall with your method.
No thats not all, you gave such a great decription of how you created the frothing waterfall and pipe water and I was wandering did you give a description in one of your threads for the river as well?

Hi Lynn. I do not recall. For river instructions I would recommend Dave Frary's water techniques DVD and Bob Van Guilders work on Scott Mason's Craftmen Kit Techniques DVD. (I think was #3.) The short version is: paint the plywood black, pour the EnviroTex (multiple layers is best), add rapids by applying silicon and white paint with a small brush (you can pour some "practice" water first to get the hang of it). Add weeds/grass, add clear silicon on edges where required to fill and gaps and blend in the grass. Paint EnviroTex to rocks to show where wet. That's about it.

Gregg
LynnB Posted - 01/07/2009 : 10:22:11 AM
Hi Gregg , just spending some time going through your great work again especially seeing as I'm going to be doing a river very soon. I do have all 3 of the scott mason dvd's but only watched the first as I was saving them for when I'm about ready to do a kit, didn't realize there was water building included, thanks for the tip. By the way I will be redoing my little waterfall with your method.
No thats not all, you gave such a great decription of how you created the frothing waterfall and pipe water and I was wandering did you give a description in one of your threads for the river as well?
GreggW Posted - 05/31/2007 : 3:02:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rfmicro

Did your original size of 16" X 24" come out as expected? And what did the height of the diorama finally end up?

Trent,

The final size is 16" x 26". It's 12" to the top vents of the wood structure.

Gregg

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000